Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY

Ok--- so everyone wants to know about how to install DRL's the quick and easy way.
Before i undertook this mission, I did my research.... then disregarded all the extraneous info about Canadian drl systems, cheap ebay lights, relay systems....
There is a better way!

(forgive me this is my first post and I'm excited to be a new member...)

Ok...we all know that ignition power sources are plentiful, but which ones to tap???...what is going to be the best source of power with least amount of risk involved?

I chose the fuel pump. Ignition wired, with an easily accessible fuse location to tap into in the IPDM. Which is easily accessible on the firewall behind our batteries. The fuel pump fuse is on the top right, 15 amp fuse from the factory. this is a good point to swap a fresh fuse.... Knowing the tolerance of the power along the wiring to be 15amps, and seeking only 10 amps to run my drl system, I was in luck.

ok so lets try and put some visuals in here. i took these pics after the fact like an idiot. apologies.

My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY-wp_20140822_007.jpg

this pic has a shot of the IDPM...once again i took it after install. but you will observe a green small gauged wire leading from the box back along the fender attachment point in the engine bay. almost invisible. The end of this wire is wrapped around my fuel pump fuse and reinserted into the housing. Easy.

My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY-wp_20140822_006.jpg

this pic, shows the inline 10AMP fuse at the other end of the aforementioned green trailing wire from the fuel pump fuse. easy stuff... the power wire from the DRL assembly ties into this fuse. providing protection from overdrawing the circuit.

there are two common grounds for the drl's. easy stuff as well.

My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY-wp_20140822_002.jpg

this pic shows the subtle install in our convenient lower front bumper. double stick tape. nothing to it. and it sits low enough not to be seen easily. could also honestly sit behind the grilles. its freaking bright enough.... i wasn't worried.

My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY-wp_20140821_003.jpg

this is a powered up, car running shot of the DRL's.... now. this is important. you may have noticed the yellow tinge to the lights in the last pic.
these are new COB, chips on board, led's...and they are bright as ****. new tech. ftw.
watch this night shot.

My DIY on Daytime Running Lights!!! EASY-wp_20140821_009.jpg

amazing.

NOW. all we've done is tap the fuel pump circuit. hid some wires. add a 10amp inline fuse for protection. powered and grounded and taped and hung the lights.... bam. I've seen no decrease in power output. I love this install!!!