Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

"sweating" on steering wheel - leather care?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
"sweating" on steering wheel - leather care?

'04 Sedan, black leather interior.

I live in the PacNW, where weather rarely dips below the freezing mark. Maybe once or twice a year overnight it happens.

Whenever it does, the leather in the steering wheel "sweats" once the interior temperature rises. And when it sweats, the black dye gets all over my hands and clothing.

My car is 12 years old, so the wheel is typically worn but in VG shape overall. No way near in need of a new skin.

Is there any way to "seal" the leather so it won't sweat dye everywhere?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheIronYuppy
'04 Sedan, black leather interior.

I live in the PacNW, where weather rarely dips below the freezing mark. Maybe once or twice a year overnight it happens.

Whenever it does, the leather in the steering wheel "sweats" once the interior temperature rises. And when it sweats, the black dye gets all over my hands and clothing.

My car is 12 years old, so the wheel is typically worn but in VG shape overall. No way near in need of a new skin.

Is there any way to "seal" the leather so it won't sweat dye everywhere?
It sounds like the steering wheel has had something applied to it. Are you the original owner? I have an 06, i have never encountered this with my wheel. Since it doesn't happen frequently enough, i could see why it wouldn't be a "major" issue. Just curious, have you tried any leather cleaners or conditioners on it to see if excess dye was removed, or even a damp cloth? When this does happen, does the dye wash right off of your hands, or do you have to use soap?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never had this happen to me and I live in Seattle (PNW).

Old 04-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by LuxuryMuscle
It sounds like the steering wheel has had something applied to it. Are you the original owner? I have an 06, i have never encountered this with my wheel. Since it doesn't happen frequently enough, i could see why it wouldn't be a "major" issue. Just curious, have you tried any leather cleaners or conditioners on it to see if excess dye was removed, or even a damp cloth? When this does happen, does the dye wash right off of your hands, or do you have to use soap?
It washes right off with water.

I'm not the original owner. As a course of interior cleaning I wipe the wheel down with one of those Meguires disposable wipes for leather. I wonder if that has something to do with it.