Notices

Driver Seat Switch Not working-In a bind..literally.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Driver Seat Switch Not working-In a bind..literally.

Well this is my latest problem. Yesterday afternoon I decided to give the G a spa day and do a little interior cleaning. I started with reclining the front seats, and coating all the leather with some leather conditioner and cleaner. I let this soak in while I cleaned the dash, trim, switches, etc with simple interior protectant cleaner. Well, I had my front driver seat reclined ALL THE WAY BACK, to get every nook and cranny. All of us know that a g seat will lay completly horizontal pretty much. Well I wiped all the cleaners up and away and to my amazement, the Driver seat will not recline back up, at all. The passenger seat works fine, the driver tilt, forward, backward, etc works fine. It will even recline the seat further BACK but will not recline the back up ANY. Let me remind you thta I drive 40 miles to work everyday, then home. Needless to say it was an uncomfortable ride assisted with a body pillow behind me to ease the pain. I have had this one switch "glitch" before but only momentarily. When I try to bring the back up, it doesnt make any noises. No grinding or clicking like the gears are stuck or anything of that sort. Maybe the switch got cleaner in it or something? What do you guys think and what is a quick fix? I dont exactly have a lopt of time before this HAS to be fixed or my back is going to BREAK!

Thanks,

Traci!

The following users liked this post:
Adrian Ibarra (03-21-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Problem Fixed. My boyfriend sprayed some WD-40 down and all over the switch. He let it sit and took an air hose to the switch yesterday afternoon and blew the switch itself out and it began working fine again! Thankfully! We didnt take any covers off or anything, just some WD-40 and a good ole air hose!

Hope this helps anyone else in my predicament!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
they are VERY picky little buggers, if something gets in there, and your seat stops working, take it apart, and blow it out, or do what your BF did, usually works unless the switch is indeed RIP

The following users liked this post:
therrin09 (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
I hope that works for me, but I got a feeling it wont :-(

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
I sure hope it does! We let the WD-40 sit in the switch all day long. Sprayed it out that night, with an air hose off the fire truck (HIGH POWER). My other switches (tilt up/back) seem to be a little sluggish now. Or maybe I've just got myself siked out about my switches tearing up again. On top of the switch breakdown I now have a jammed 6-disk player. Local audio shop said it would cost me around $800 to have a new one put in. I'll stick with AM/FM for NOW!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
My passenger side started doing this today. Apparently my wife said that it has happened before about a year ago but for just a second and then it was fine again. Well now I have a passenger seat that's reclined ALL the way back lol. I'll try spraying WD-40 on it right now (10:50PM) and try using a can of that air spray stuff for computers. I hope this will take care of it! Thanks for posting your solution!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM
I hope that fixes it for you! Yes mine had done it once or twice before, a tad delay but I'd wiggle it around and it'd be fine for months. The WD-40 and air hose done the trick on mine. Id hate to have to try and take the switch apart myself, from all the talk of springs flying during disassembly. But I hope you find a solution! Please let us know how it works out!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
This fixed it! It didn't work too well at first after letting it sit overnight but I banged at it with my first a tiny bit and it appears to be working fine again. I may one day open it up if it's fairly easy and really give it a good blow again with the computer duster spray. Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Glad to hear its fixed!! Good luck to you!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Hmmm, may have to look into this. My driver side seat height adjustment won't give, so I have to tilt the seat back so my head doesn't rub the top of the car.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Definatly worth a try. This was by far my last resort before I tore the thing apart and put it in the shop. Luck was on my side. Wish the best of luck to you.