Notices

Carbon fiber rear seat delete

Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Still you neglected to address the fact that two of your three reason where pure BS. I clearly showed you that your weight savings claim is crap and your sound deadening claim can be accomplished very simply with far less effort. So it appears the sole reason for your idea is purely because you want pretty carbon fiber.

If you are planning on doing it simply for looks and to try to impress other guys (like your front lip), fine that is a valid reason. But at least be honest here.

Tell ya what kid, I will even help you out. Here is a DIY on removing the rear seat to get you started. Be sure to keep us all updated on that track beast.

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...runk-swap.html

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 10-29-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
OP, have you swapped in a 1-pc cf drive-shaft yet? makes a much bigger difference than a few static pounds

The following users liked this post:
Footballmania32 (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Why the hell does every innovative thread around here have to turn into a **** storm of a pissing contest. If the guy wants to go about this expensive project for minimal gain, WHY THE FVCK DO YOU CARE?! The only contribution you're making is your time posting here. So stupid.. This is why I steer clear of Driver these days. Such a terrible community it's degenerated to.

OP, your idea is awesome but seems to cost more than the gains it provides. If you are doing it for the flash appeal, go for it. But if you really want the function over form, go the plywood method. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
Why the hell does every innovative thread around here have to turn into a **** storm of a pissing contest. If the guy wants to go about this expensive project for minimal gain, WHY THE FVCK DO YOU CARE?! The only contribution you're making is your time posting here. So stupid.. This is why I steer clear of Driver these days. Such a terrible community it's degenerated to.

OP, your idea is awesome but seems to cost more than the gains it provides. If you are doing it for the flash appeal, go for it. But if you really want the function over form, go the plywood method. Good luck.
What is innovative about it exactly?

If OP is doing it purely because he likes the way it looks then more power to him. No different than people spending 4k on rims for looks. I especially am not one to talk crap in that area. I spent over 12k on my G37 purely on looks mods. I just spent 10k on my Harley customizing everything purely for the look I wanted.

My only criticism was the BS claims for weight savings and sound deadening. Dont claim you got a carbon fiber hood to save weight, dont clam you added a spoiler for downforce, dont claim you have a huge red tow hook for track days, dont claim all the decals are sponsors, ect ect. It is your car, if you want it to look a certain way, go for it... just dont lie about it.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
guys, please keep things civil. thanks.

Row2k (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
guys, please keep things civil. thanks.
You know me.

bigc (10-30-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by SDGenius
OP, have you swapped in a 1-pc cf drive-shaft yet? makes a much bigger difference than a few static pounds
Hey man,

yup, i swapped it in quite a few months ago and have only positive things to comment about the CF driveshaft. I also completely agree in that 16lbs doesn't sound like much, but your right; it makes a much bigger difference than a few static pounds.

Its been some time, so i've gotten used to it, but the two key points i notices from the before and after are as follows:
- noticeably better response in higher gears under low rpm, the car just feels lighter speeding up at highway speeds. More "effortless" is the way i would describe it.
- less vibration. This is probably in part due to the new tight joint on the driveshaft vs my oem with 70k+ miles, but also in part due to composite materials offering better vibration dampening characteristics vs their metal counterparts.

Cheers,
Mario

Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 PM
^for sure, I love mine too

Old 10-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
What is innovative about it exactly?

If OP is doing it purely because he likes the way it looks then more power to him. No different than people spending 4k on rims for looks. I especially am not one to talk crap in that area. I spent over 12k on my G37 purely on looks mods. I just spent 10k on my Harley customizing everything purely for the look I wanted.

My only criticism was the BS claims for weight savings and sound deadening. Dont claim you got a carbon fiber hood to save weight, dont clam you added a spoiler for downforce, dont claim you have a huge red tow hook for track days, dont claim all the decals are sponsors, ect ect. It is your car, if you want it to look a certain way, go for it... just dont lie about it.
Again, I will simply re-iterate what I said before, because it seems from the number of posts your excreting here you are getting quite wound up about this and I'll be honest... that makes it very entertaining. However before I digress any further, let me repeat:

You are not helping.

Your attitude is precisely what is wrong with G35Driver in recent memory if not years. This platform is a solid performer, not amazing, but good, which is why it's further development by creative individuals is in my opinion a great things.You are hindering this development, so for the sake of the community i would most kindly ask you to go away.

However if you do want to persist in this exchange I will address some of the finer points you mentioned. I like lists, i hope you do too, so here goes again:

1. refer to item 1 from my previous list.

2. no BS claims here about weight reduction sir, I have lost ~200lbs so far with a number of simple items, all of which other than seats have minimal visibility or impact on comfort. ie. deka battery, driveshaft, flywheel, various brackets, seats, exhaust, etc.

3. I am very happy for you spending your money on your G37 and Harley. I am sure they are fine looking vehicles at this point. I am not doing this for looks, but more for function, however if the option to maintain civility in regards to NVH as well as some degree of aesthetics is feasible, then I will pursue it.

4. I do not have a cf hood sir, weight loss vs aluminum is ~0lbs

5. I do not have a rear spoiler, however i am in the process of finalizing my front splitter, not sure if that counts for you.

6. I do not have a huge red tow hook. OEM tow hook is acceptable.

7. I do not have sponsor decals, tribal flames, etc.

8. I have not lied intentionally in my responses.

9. Refer to item # 1 in this list

Footballmania32 has a good point. Innovative ideas are being shut down on Driver by individuals such as you. Granted making cf parts is not particularly innovative by any stretch, but considering how rare such a proposition is on this message board i would be willing to place it in said category. Also just to set this cost vs gain thing straight. I've done cf work before, I know what raw material costs look like, also I have access to high performance equipment from work (vacuum pumps & vapor traps, tubing, valves, etc.) driving cf infusion costs down for me, so the gain vs cost here is not absurd. Certainly not more absurd that buying a CF hood for $500-$600 for a weight loss of 1-2lbs....and yet people do it. Dare I ask if you will go shyt in every thread about a cf hood?

So to summarize...go away, not because i don't like arguing with you...its good sport actually. I ask you to go away, because ultimately you are hurting this community by making this kind of spectacle of close-minded idiocy seem acceptable.

Kind Regards

Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Row2k
Again, I will simply re-iterate what I said before, because it seems from the number of posts your excreting here you are getting quite wound up about this and I'll be honest... that makes it very entertaining. However before I digress any further, let me repeat:

You are not helping.

Your attitude is precisely what is wrong with G35Driver in recent memory if not years. This platform is a solid performer, not amazing, but good, which is why it's further development by creative individuals is in my opinion a great things.You are hindering this development, so for the sake of the community i would most kindly ask you to go away.

However if you do want to persist in this exchange I will address some of the finer points you mentioned. I like lists, i hope you do too, so here goes again:

1. refer to item 1 from my previous list.

2. no BS claims here about weight reduction sir, I have lost ~200lbs so far with a number of simple items, all of which other than seats have minimal visibility or impact on comfort. ie. deka battery, driveshaft, flywheel, various brackets, seats, exhaust, etc.

3. I am very happy for you spending your money on your G37 and Harley. I am sure they are fine looking vehicles at this point. I am not doing this for looks, but more for function, however if the option to maintain civility in regards to NVH as well as some degree of aesthetics is feasible, then I will pursue it.

4. I do not have a cf hood sir, weight loss vs aluminum is ~0lbs

5. I do not have a rear spoiler, however i am in the process of finalizing my front splitter, not sure if that counts for you.

6. I do not have a huge red tow hook. OEM tow hook is acceptable.

7. I do not have sponsor decals, tribal flames, etc.

8. I have not lied intentionally in my responses.

9. Refer to item # 1 in this list

So to summarize...go away, not because i don't like arguing with you...its good sport actually. I ask you to go away, because ultimately you are hurting this community by making this kind of spectacle of close-minded idiocy seem acceptable.

Kind Regards
Certain kinds of people cannot be helped. I will provide my knowledge and experience and you can take it as you desire. "A wise man learns from the experience of others, a fool learns from his own experience." So by all means, go ahead and attempt your project. I will be the first to laugh when you fail.

1. My undergrad is in aerospace engineering. I have forgotten more about cars than you have possibly googled in your lifetime kid.
2. You made a claim that the cf rear seat panel was for weight loss/tracking. I immediately threw up the BS flag on that one. Never once did I comment about previous 200 lbs claim.
3. My G37 has been gone for 3 years now. Currently working on my 67 camaro LS2 turbo frame off resto. A cf rear seat panel has no realistic function. This isn't Need For Speed, where stage 2 weight reduction of 10 pounds nets you 200 horsepower. Sorry kid.
4-7 were not directly related to you. Just examples of commonly used BS in this and other import communities. Your cf rear seat panel for weight savings does fit in with the same mentality though.

It has nothing to do with being close minded, it has everything to do with being realistic. I truly believe you do not have a real comprehension about the scope, cost or benefit of the project you are talking about. You will be lucky to shave 10 pounds with this project. I am sure during you "extensive" research you bothered to actually look up what weight savings were achieved on other cars wit carbon fiber rear seat deletes right?

GTR oem rear seats 13lbs, Password JDM dry autoclave cf rear seat delete with no sound deadening 7lbs.
BRZ oem rear seats 20lbs, Seibon cf rear seat delete with no sound deadening 15lbs
2012 mustang oem rear seat 37 lbs, Boss 302 rear seat delete 24 lbs
(all are in the 1700-2000 dollar range)

Please tell me how you think you are going to do better than these professional companies?

But since you drive a track monster I am sure you also already know that removing rear seat would bump you out of street prep class in SCCA and into street mod.

But I fully stand behind my previous statement. Finish this and I will paypal you 500 dollars for proving me wrong. But when you do fail.... Also I cannot wait to see you slop epoxy resin all over your interior trying to make the plug.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
As someone who actually has built several carbon fiber aero pieces, I was trying to impart upon you some knowledge. The only thing you actually got correct in your statement was the amateur part. CF isn't something that requires a vast amount of knowledge, as it is very simple, just a bit expensive and time consuming. Really all it requires is some common sense... which sadly you seem to be lacking in this discussion.

Yes you do not need an autoclave. That is why I specifically said autoclave/oven (read slower next time). But using an oven, you really have no advantages over hand layup. Now I see you plan on ghetto rigging some home made hot box in your apartment? I see that one ending well

You are not the first kid to come in here with what he thinks is some revolutionary idea, that has never been done before in the auto industry. I was explaining to you that basically what you are doing is vastly more expensive than what you are thinking and utterly pointless other than looks. I am also trying to understand your train of though to spend thousands to make a part to save you 10lbs. You could essentially achieve the same results in half an afternoon and $100.

People only tried to steer you away from CF drive shafts because they are expensive and provide little gain. You were not the first to think of it or do it for the G35. Even the stock 350GT has carbon composite drive shafts stock.

Now I am actually excited to see where this goes. Let me know in 6 months when you abandoned the project, though I expect this is all pipe-dream BS and you will not even attempt it.
you mean 350z

Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 143 Likes on 105 Posts
Good ideas all around...

Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
you mean 350z
350z as well as 06+ Nissan 350GT

Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 PM
^where'd you read that?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber rear seat delete