Notices

2005 g35 door wont open (actuator working)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 g35 door wont open (actuator working)

More like unfunitii!

Just bought a g35 about 2 months ago. The guy I bought it from had done a rust proofing on it, The rust proof was sloppy and all over the door (the metal part that is hidden when the door is closed) Anyways, every time I got in the car I would get grease on me.

I had not choice but to remove the rust proofing that was exposed when the door was open. Naturally, this is a tricky job. I had to use detergent and a hose.

Now there is a slot in that part of the door that accommodates the metal U that is on the pillar.

Possibly some water from the hose got it there.

Anyways everything was fine for a few weeks. Then i drove in the rain. All of a sudden I could not open the divers side. Not with the key,the key fob or the interior latch. Basically it was imp[possible to open the door.

I started to grind out the interior door lock and door open handle thinking that it may be a dislodged cable. That was not the case.

Unable to take off the panel I managed to force the top part up enough to get the weather lip off the door. but I could not go further. From there I pointed some aerosol lube towards the door actuator. That was the only thing I could do besides try to tap it.

This did not seem to have an effect. then for fun i took tried to wedge the door upwards form the bottom. Some how when i opened it from the out side all was well !!

No need to rip out the interior panel !

Tonight I rained again. The door did the same thing. cant open from inside outside or kefob.

symptoms :
when key fob is used the lock DOES move indicating it is not an electrical problem
when unlocking from auto unlock button from inside the manual lock moves as expected. but then the door does not open from inside or out side.

Possible fix:
When door was wedged up the door opened from the outside
Or it opened cause some lubricant was sprayed on to it (unlikely cause the actuator is plastic and I sprayed it from the small gap where the window goes down)
Or I opened cause i managed to dislodge the panel (while door was closed) and maybe there was enough time for some t hinge to dry out.

Possible issues:
does not seem to be electrical.
IS not the attachments of the cable on either end. (door end was checked actuator end wasn't, but it would not start working if it was attached)
Seems to be more mechanical. (possibly rain has an effect on it)
I am thinking that some lube was removed from where the actual locking mechanism is (the slot on the metal of the door that makes way for the U bolt thingy on the pillar.
So every thing works well. the handles have the correct resistance, the lock clicks like expected, the cables are moving fine, the electronic lock clicks fine.
I can only assume it is the last part the actual latch. there must be some thing that releases the thing that grabs on the u bolt. I imagine t his is by some sort of spring. the spring may not be strong enough to overcome the resistance ?

Any ideas?

This has only effected the diver side door. how ever today, after it stopped raining, I noticed that when both driver and passenger window are rolled down and back up again they are slightly wet. I kept rolling them up and down until there was not more moisture, No luck.

It is possible that the door is a bit loose. that is to say when it is working and opened it slides off the U bolt and falls just a tad, This is due to the screws on the hinge i think.

Anyways any info would be great. I have read a couple things on here, they mostly seem to be issues with actuator.

Hopefully if you cant help me, At least some one will know that IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET THE TOP PART OF THE INTERIOR DOOR off the metal door. (where the lip for the window is.

Please help this is so annoying.