Notices

07-08 350z seats in a G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07-08 350z seats in a G35 coupe

07-08 350z cloth seat - driver's side, 4-way adjustable, manual *****, no air bags.
07-08 350z cloth seat - passenger's side, 2-way adjustable (sliding and reclining only).

My car: 2004 G35 Coupe (USA, left hand drive)

It is possible without having to modify any part of your G35 coupe (not too sure on sedans but should be the same?) to swap in 07-08 350z seats. Minimal manipulation is required to make these fit properly.

Important things everyone needs to know about this seat swap!

A. 03-04 G35 Coupe seat belt clips WILL NOT WORK in 07-08 350z seat belt buckles, you MUST swap these out (not too sure about 05-06's, if anyone can confirm this be my guest). After removing your original heavy azz G seats also remove the seat belt buckles using a 14mm socket and socket wrench or an equivalent tool; do the same for the 350z seats. The hardware is a little different on both seats - the 350z seats have shorter 14mm bolts as well as the metal brackets the buckles are attached to themselves, they are shorter than the G35's. However, the wiring harness is longer on the Z compared to the G's but it is still long enough to reach the bottom of the main wiring harness where it connects. (refer to pic #1)
Name:  1_zps79mxvmnd.jpg
Views: 4350
Size:  76.0 KB
Remember to do this buckle swap with both seats out of the car. I learned the hard way and did this after the fact. It was a pain in the azz, don't ask.

A1. Your SRS (airbag) light will remain ON & blinking unless you do the resistor mod (I believe one of the 350z UK websites shows how to do this). I have not done this bc a blinking light does not bother me as much as it probably would for most other people. To me it's just a blinking light and it's not that bright either, so if you're anything like me it won't bother you. If you're nothing like me and allow little things to get to you, then you will want to do the resistor mod (do a search bc I do not know how to do this.. if I did I would've included it).

B. Installation of the 350z driver's seat (left side). This particular seat needs tweaking but not as much as people claim it does. I read on a different thread some guy said he had to "massage the transmission tunnel" (if you're desperate and lonely go ahead, *joking) I didn't. Once you've cleaned the coffee & soda stains and vacuumed the floorboard carpet while the seats are out, it's time to install the 350z driver's seat in first. I say install this one to begin with bc the passenger side is much easier to do. Knock out the harder one first.. Once you've placed it inside the car, sit in the seat and slide it all the back. You need this room to access the "snake shaped" brace (refer to pic #3 outlined RED) under the front side of the seat, don't forget to use a good flashlight. Next remove the 10mm bolt (shifter side, circled BLUE refer to pic #3) then loosen the other 10mm bolt (circled YELLOW refer to pic #3) but you don't have to completely remove this one.
Name:  3_zpsnqdzpkdr.jpg
Views: 4076
Size:  66.5 KB

C. Align the REAR seat rail holes to the holes in the floorboard. For this next step sit back in the seat and scoot it all the way forward as well as reclining it completely upright. By doing this, you need the room to have access in mounting the rear seat rail section to the vehicle. Using the x2 original 14mm bolts you removed earlier (when taking out the G seats), hand tighten these back in only 1/2 way after the holes are align with one another. DO NOT USE ANY TOOL AT THIS POINT, OR YOU'LL STRIP THE THREADING ON THE CHASSIS AND THE BOLTS THEMSELVES. (If you tighten these x2 bolts all the way down you will not have enough slack when aligning the front holes, leave them loose! no pics here, self-explanatory). Sit back in the seat and once again slide it all the way back, reclining not necessary.

D. The front left seat rail hole (door side) should align without much muscle at this point, therefore you should easily be able to align it (you may need to slightly shift the seat around via your hands to make this happen). Next use another 14mm bolt to screw down this section, again hand tightening only getting it started about 5 to 6 turns but not bolting down completely. (refer to pic #4)
Name:  4_zpshrknjzw7.jpg
Views: 3897
Size:  95.0 KB

E. Hardest part in this entire swap is - aligning the front right seat rail hole to the floorboard hole (shifter side). Here I had to use a large pry bar and my 3/8's" cordless impact driver (3/8's" socket wrench / 14mm socket will work too). (refer to pic #5).
Name:  5_zpsdg6ztkby.jpg
Views: 3686
Size:  112.3 KB
If you're nervous about stripping either the last 14mm bolt and/or the floorboard threads then I suggest using metal lubrication grease (anti-seize lubricant Permatex brand is good) as it will greatly help. Also a third hand is always good too, have a buddy push the pry bar against the seat rail while you carefully screw in the last 14mm bolt. However I was solo so with my right hand I held the pry bar with my body weight against it while aligning the holes & with my other hand using my impact driver slowly triggering the last 14mm bolt into the floorboard until it stopped spinning; tighten down.

F. You're almost done, using the same impact driver (or socket wrench whatever you have) bolt down the previous x3 14mm bolts, I tightened them down in an “X” pattern, left rear, right rear and last front left bolt; torque them down afterwards. I don't know exact torque specs for these, but I torqued them to about 40 - 50 foot pound torque by hand via my 14mm socket wrench. Also, don't forget to tighten the x2 10mm bolts for the snake-brace. Now plug in the seat belt buckle connector into the proper connector located on the main wiring harness coming out of the floorboard (this basically turns off the seat belt dash light after you wear your seat belt and click in). It’ll be a skinny white colored connector, can’t miss it as you cannot mistakenly plug this into any other connector. As for the remaining connectors on the main wiring harness, hang them somewhat loosely bc you'll need some slack while sliding the seats forward and backward particularly for the passenger side since it'll more than likely move more than your driver's seat. Mainly you want to make sure it doesn't get caught up and snagged anywhere while chillin' underneath your seats.

G. Lastly, do the passenger seat. The installation process is similar to the driver’s seat but it’s 10 times easier. Remember, swap seat belt buckles on both G and Z seats, then remove x1 10mm bolt and loosen the other 10mm bolt on the snake-brace and go from there. All of the holes will line up without much muscle at all (if only I could've said the same for the driver's seat!).

Finished product - Name:  left%20side_zpsnu9q0vsr.jpg
Views: 4317
Size:  80.6 KB
Name:  right%20side_zpsdnmwmr5v.jpg
Views: 5463
Size:  120.1 KB

Last edited by foreverdr1ft; 01-03-2017 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
.cakestar (01-04-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Lots of reading here, and no embedded photos. Get some photos embedded.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Lots of reading here, and no embedded photos. Get some photos embedded.
Initially, I attempted to "embed photos" but no luck therefore this sufficed. Wordy, I agree. If you don't want to click the links for pics then can't help you there, it's not that hard.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
i cant view the pics bec i dont have a yahoo acct? why doesnt flikr let me view photos without signing into yahoo? i was gunna upload the pics for you

foreverdr1ft (01-04-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Cakestar.. That's my bad, sorry about that.. I didn't realize this till clicking on the link via my cellphone.. Yea completely lame you have to sign up an account to view.. Will edit this tonight! My apologies~

Old 01-03-2017, 04:01 AM
logged in with the gf's yahoo and still cant see anything. i actually want to do this so its something im interested in haha

Old 01-03-2017, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=.cakestar;7089711]logged in with the gf's yahoo and still cant see anything. i actually want to do this so its something im interested in haha

Picture links should work now.. Lmk if they still don't.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
it is not really hard to upload a jpg file from your computer..

Old 01-03-2017, 06:35 PM
I need to do this on my other laptop.. My Google Chromebook seems limited & does not like uploading pictures direct to g35driver, hence the pos flikr acct I had to create. Obviously that's not holdin' over too well either.

Don't use flikr for uploading and linking pictures in here. Photobucket saved the day...

Last edited by foreverdr1ft; 01-04-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: ...
Old 01-04-2017, 04:35 AM
pics all seem to be working. nice job! very thorough thread. thanks for the info and taking the time to make this. we have had a lot of people post about it and this is very definite info. should be stickied

foreverdr1ft (01-04-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Great write up. I plan to try this with 370z seats in the near future

foreverdr1ft (01-06-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.