Japan 日本 Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Ginza, etc.

Yokosuka Mikoshi 神輿 Parade 08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
Yokosuka Mikoshi 神輿 Parade 08

Edit: If you don't want to flip through all the pics, here's a quick video
Edit 2: BOO! I can't embed video

Picture comments/info is available on my website.
http://psedog.com/Japan/Yokosuka_Mikoshi_Parade.html

Today (Oct 19, 2008), Yokosuka had a Mikoshi parade. This is a celebration of the gods. You carry around a mini temple of the gods. This is another way that the base is trying to unite with Japan. When I was stationed in Japan before, I hadn’t heard of this parade. Apparently the Kitty Hawk was always gone during this time of year.

During the carry, we bounce the Mikoshi up and down while chanting Washoi. Washoi is an action word like Yoshoi, except Washoi is said when a group of people are doing a tense action. Yoshoi is when 1 person is doing a tense action. This may not be an exact definition, but it is how I understand it.

We carried the Mikoshi from the Yokosuka Chuo park, down “Blue Street”, into the base through the Womble gate, around main street, and into the Bowling Alley Parking lot.

Once all of the 65 or so shrines have entered base and settled in a parking spot, the base CO made a speech. Mainly to thank everyone for showing up and supporting this huge event.

All of the photos were taken with my iPhone. Since I was carrying the Mikoshi, I didn’t want to risk breaking my Rebel XT.

Last edited by psedog; 10-19-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Littering and...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks really great. I think I am going to skip on the JP trip next month, I will be gone too long in China and will need to get back. Should be getting over there in Jan/Feb for job interviews though, and looking for places to live.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Damn I miss Yokosuka Japan. I was there for 8yrs (94-03) I used to live Zushi. I was there before all the liberty restrictions they have now.

That thing gets heavy especially with all that bouncing I've done it once. The older people really get into it and the ones with the little girl or boy on top while they are bouncing around.

Wait until friendship day if they still have it in the summer. Are you going to TAS 09 in Jan?

App6mt (James) you will love it when you finally go,

Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Back in SD**

Received 63 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
Are you going to TAS 09 in Jan?
If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, then you know I'm not at liberty to say