Notices

Sequential LED Rear Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I would like some LED turn signals even if they are not sequential. I want more than just the drop in bulbs. Are you thinking about selling these or just making a set for yourself?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
I would like some LED turn signals even if they are not sequential. I want more than just the drop in bulbs. Are you thinking about selling these or just making a set for yourself?
Well, at first for sure I am gonna make a set for myself. I've actually started ordering some samples from some manufacturers for the components. From the looks of it, I'm gonna make this is small as possible, meaning surface mount components. That also means I'll probably be making a PCB for it, unless I can scrounge up some surface mount breadboard.

I guess in the end that means, if I get a PCB, I could probably sell some because generally its about the same price for 3 boards (min quantity you can usually get) as for 10 boards. At a minimum, I'll be able to give you exact schematics and parts. I don't know how accomodating I can be for coupe owners and those who have lights different than the 04's. I can provide schematics and such, but depending on time, maybe not the LED arrangement. That would be up to you.

I'm not gonna open a group buy right now, but it's a possibility down the road. First things first, I have to get mine up and going I'll give y'all updates as they happen. Any questions, just post em here or PM me.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Grocery getter

Thanks for the info. I would be happy just to get the exact schematics and parts if you don't mind. In fact could you send me what you used for the side markers?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Thanks for the info. I would be happy just to get the exact schematics and parts if you don't mind. In fact could you send me what you used for the side markers?
I'll try to get it up for you on Monday. Some of the exact parts list things are on my work computer. The tail light schematic and parts list won't be ready for awhile (couple weeks), because before I post something, I make sure it works. As for the sidemarkers, I also have a PCB layout for the sidemarkers. I haven't measured the outer diameter of the layout, but I know all the main components fit inside. I'll try to post up everything I have. If you know or could get the inside dimensions of the sidemarkers, I could try and fix em before I post them.

Long story short... I"ll put up what I have Monday Anyone happen to know where the best place to get a set of 04 OEM tail lights on the cheap would be? I'm deciding if I want to modify the set I have now and just hope for the best, or get a second set and be able to play around with it until it works.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Grocery getter

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post up that info.
If you are ever out in Phoenix, let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

I would try ebay or maybe on here for the tails. I would assume you only need one.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 PM
OK, the info you wanted ttrank is up on the original post on the clear corners

Original Clear Corner Thread

As for the sequentials, samples for everything except one IC are here, now I just have to purchase some LED's. I'll figure out the blink rate and measurements as I go Changing the blink rate is a small pain, but oh well, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Update:

Control Card PCB is on order, all parts on the way.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
can't wait for the videos/pics

Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Status: Control Circuitry built and working. Now working on taking apart the taillights and cutting the LED board to size.

OK, here are some long time coming pictures and photos.

Control Card Assembled:

Test LED Board:

Video of LED Board in action:

I really wish I could find someplace that would have just sold the taillights unassembled, cutting them has not been fun nor perfect...

Attached Files
File Type: avi
5.AVI (1.55 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by MidnightG35X; 02-17-2022 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Adding pictures back in.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THat looks awesome! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that looks sweet

Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
sick...should make the LEDs fade when done with the sequence

Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
sick...should make the LEDs fade when done with the sequence
Thanks!

I don't think getting the LED's to fade is really an option. Are you thinking just have the row of LED's that just got done be dimmer than the rest? That could be done I think, but haven't really explored it. Could just have the SCR voltage be around 9V instead of 12V. Having them actually fade would require much more circuitry that I don't really want to do. Things like pulse width modulation (for fading) would require a microprocessor I think. A very large capacitor to store up some charge has a chance to do that too, but it would easily be the biggest component of them all.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 AM
I figured as much...it looks good anyway, have you measured how long the blinking interval is for our cars? Is it long enough for each sequence per blink?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
I figured as much...it looks good anyway, have you measured how long the blinking interval is for our cars? Is it long enough for each sequence per blink?
Yep, measured that a little while ago. See post #5 at https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/143811-default-blink-rate-measurement-question.html
I also used a function generator with a 350ms pulse on the bench to make sure this control circuit will work. I haven't hooked it up to the actual car yet, but I feel I've done everything possible to make the transition as seamless as possible. Timing should not be an issue. Even if it is, changing the timing is as simple as changing a resistor on the control board.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sequential LED Rear Turn Signal