Notices

Philips D2S Comparison: 85122+ (OEM) vs. 85122cm (Colour Match)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philips D2S Comparison: 85122+ (OEM) vs. 85122cm (Colour Match)

Hey all,

Here are some pics comparing the 4200k OEM 85122+ bulbs vs. the 4800k 85122cm Colour Match. Here are the stats on each lamp:

85122+: 4200k, 3400 lumens
85122cm: 4800k, 3100 lumens (9% less output than OEM)

In the pic showing both headlamps side-by-side below, the CM bulb is on the left, OEM is on the right. If you look closely, you can kind of see how the right OEM side is a bit more yellow. But the difference is not clearly obvious from that picture. Just trust me that the color temperatures are quite different. It was just hard to capture it on digital film.

Side-by-side:

I also took pictures of the beams against my garage (85122cm on one side, 85122+ on the other), and again the OEM side was noticeably more yellow. The CM side looked pure white in comparison. Since the color difference didn't really come out well in my pictures, I didn't put them up here. But in person, the difference was obvious - the CM's were more "pure".

It's funny...before I started tonight's testing, I first had the OEM 85122+ bulbs on both sides, and my brother-in-law looked at them and said, "these look pretty white...you must have wasted your money on those 85122cm bulbs". I glanced hard at them and kind of agreed and actually thought he might be right.....until I put a CM bulb side-by-side with the OEM. You can definitely see the color temperature difference between them while looking directly at the headlamps or the beams on the wall. Like I said the wall beam pics didn't come out well, but here are some pics of the individual headlamp housings and you can clearly see the difference:

85122+ OEM:

85122cm:

Just for good measure, I figured I'd take a few shots of my 85122cm beams head-on since Paul completed my projector color cutoff mod. I now see blue, red, yellow, etc. colors at different angles, and love the results so far. Here are a few pics:

Color cutoff #1:

Color cutoff #2:

Long story short, I'm very happy with my decision to skip the crappy Ultinons and get the 85122cm bulbs with IvoryGT's color cutoff mod. I highly recommend this mod and these bulbs to anyone looking to grab attention with their lights while still retaining excellent light output.

-B

Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 AM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crappy ultinons? ive heard their pretty good bulbs, especially the 6000k( i completely understand its lower output) but do u mean their bad because of their quality or are u just biased towards more light output?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
crappy ultinons? ive heard their pretty good bulbs, especially the 6000k( i completely understand its lower output) but do u mean their bad because of their quality or are u just biased towards more light output?
I love the look of the 6000k Ultinons but you lose 30% of your light. I actually had them for awhile before I got my projectors and hated how much dimmer the road seemed. Don't get me wrong, the Ultinons are a high quality lamp. But to get that same color effect, I opted for IvoryGT's color cutoff mod on bulbs that properly illuminate the road...

Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shdowflare
I now see blue, red, yellow, etc. colors at different angles, and love the results so far.
You really shouldn't be seeing red, yellow, green. You should only see blue/purple. That means your lights may be aimed a bit high.

I know it is difficult but can you take a pic of CM's against a garage wall.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah I haven't really aimed them yet. Will do that this week. I'll try to get some pics of them against a wall but a garage may be tough. My garage is a split two door so the beams weren't showing up too well.

Thanks,
B

Originally Posted by sfgr415
You really shouldn't be seeing red, yellow, green. You should only see blue/purple. That means your lights may be aimed a bit high.

I know it is difficult but can you take a pic of CM's against a garage wall.