Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SICK MAN Want to do my lights

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 AM
sick tails. stock looks awesome also but way to be different nice work

Old 03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
never ever use white or red lights in taillights .You have to use red/orange .Also never ever use premade leds because in a month you will be prying them open to replace

Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I seen your video, wish the brick idea would of worked cause it looked sick as hell... Whats up with the headlights? 8000k?

Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
OP
I know it's probably a long shot but I figured I'll try it anyways.

I'm planning to do few things to my tail lights and just researching what is the best way to open them up and seal them back up.
It appears that they are not sealed like headlights are with a glue, they are just melted together (the lens and the back)
How did you end up opening yours up and sealing them back up?

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
In for answers as well...although it looks like OP hasn't been on since January :/

Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by JG_G35
In for answers as well...although it looks like OP hasn't been on since January :/
Go2customs does a lot of work on tail lights for VQNYC

I also wanted to retrofit the tail lights so far what I found is to take the circuit from sedan tail lights and put them into the coupe I believe HID planet has pictures of this done before

Old 11-28-2015, 11:38 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Albanian122
Go2customs does a lot of work on tail lights for VQNYC

I also wanted to retrofit the tail lights so far what I found is to take the circuit from sedan tail lights and put them into the coupe I believe HID planet has pictures of this done before
you got any links to any of their threads?
Do they show how they open up the tail lights and seal them back up?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?30156-second-set-G35-coupe-dual-LED-ring-taillights

Old 11-29-2015, 01:33 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
^what this?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:05 AM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Found a step by step Joker

Originally Posted by SAMzG35
I would like to thank Albert (E_K) for his great help. His answers to my questions were very helpful. Definitely made this job MUCH easier.

I suck at write-ups, not sure how many of you will find this helpful but what the heck lol. so THIS IS NOT A FULLY DETAILED WRITEUP, This should give you a very close idea on how to do it. Common sense is definitely needed.
This might seem like a complicated job, but it was pretty simple and fun to do. It all comes down to how good you are with your hands.

PLEASE do the cutting outside. When cutting with the Dremel plastic pieces WILL FLY all over the place. so please make sure to wear safety glasses. Also rotary cutting tools spin pretty quick and can slip easily. Practice on something before you start cutting into the lights & skin.

I took many pics when I did my dual ring taillights. I will post the pictures now and edit it later when I get a chance.

What you need is:

07+ G35 Sedan taillights
03-05 G35 coupe tail lights. (06+ might work, however cutting around the trunk button might be a PITA)
Dremel with diamond cutting bit. (will post pics)
Safety glasses is a MUST
Glue/sealant. (Will post pics)

Forgot to take pics on cutting the G35 sedan tail lights.
If you cant do that without this thread, you really should not proceed with this

Cutting tool:

Cutting Bit. (diamond cutting bit). The thinner the better.

After cutting into the sedan tails

separate the LEDs from the housing

unscrew the LED & circuit and put it aside.

Now you need to remove the ring where the LEDs sit. This is where you need a steady hand. Take your time, measure twice cut once. I did this very carefully and as 4 different stages

cut the main piece out

trim it more

and more (I started making small cuts and prying them off with players/cutters

you should end up with something like this

sanding down the edge to get it smooth helps, but not a must.

Now to the Coupe tail light.

Remove the black piece, I believe its held by two screws and 3 clips?

Point of NO return
Start cutting around the edge. DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT put the dremel disk all the way in. Doing so will cut through the chrome of the coupe tail light even the outside of the housing (red lens), cut the surface only and start going deeper until you see its cut through.

Like this

Once you cut it all, open the housing, since the plastic melts while cutting, it might stay together as one piece after cutting. Look all around the edge and see where it still needs cutting.

The chrome housing is held by clips only. so work your way around it to get it out. don't use too much force, or you will crack it.

Remove the LEDs, They are held by two screws I think. and a tab.

Now gotta make room for the new ring, so gotta remove the turn signal housing portion of the tail lights

With that piece being out, the ring should fit there. If its too tight and not sitting flush with the back then you need to do some more trimming. Cut only a little at a time
Its important for the ring to be flush with the back, otherwise the LED ring will not sit properly

Once you see that its sitting flush with the back and straight in the front, apply some glue to the circle so it doesnt move out anymore.
Make sure the glue doesnt leak to the front.

once dry, take the LED ring and put it there, it should sit there just right. Use some tape to hold it and then apply glue on the side to hold the ring in place.

Use TWO layers of double sided tape on the back of the led to set the circuit board. If you dont use two you might get the connectors to short and some of the LEDs might not work. Happened to me, It was a PITA to do this all over again.

font view

now trim the back of the housing like this, otherwise the connector on the board will not clear

start putting everything back together

Put the lens back on the backing. make sure its aligned straight and then use glue to secure it and seal it. I used Goop glue & sealant. Used it many times before i head & tail lights and never ever had an issue with condensation.

Now you need to decide on how you want to light up. I have it dimmed with running lights bright with signal on. So when brakes applied the second circle stay dimmed.

In this video I was testing the LEDs. What you will see is taillights when lights are on, followed by brakes on then off. turn signal on then off. brakes on with turning signal on.

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_2802.mp4

Comparing both

****Adding dual LED ring will cause your signal to hyper blink, so you will need a load equalizer on each side. they are like 15 bucks a pair shipped****

I'm tired as ****, I'll get to the wiring tomorrow

The following users liked this post:
DOPG35 (01-30-2016)
Old 11-29-2015, 03:03 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
awesome.

I got ideas flowing now.

I got 3 ways of cutting open the lights now. I'm going to try them all and see which one is the best to seal after I'm done with the lights.
Good thing I got plenty of tail lights to try things on.
I might actually make a step by step video of what I do for ya'll.