Notices

Trunk Cargo light replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Trunk Cargo light replacement?

Is there anything special I need to do to remove the light housing? I feel like im tugging too hard and its not coming off, dont want to break it or anything.
So what is the correct procedure to get it off?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Flat head screw driver..

Old 12-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I think it is a plastic door/hinge that pops open and shut.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Yeah, gotta be careful I broke mine.. I had to take it off completely to put my led in it..

Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Trunk Cargo light replacement?-2yxmped.jpg

How the heck do I use a flathead for this? Theres no room for me to work it.. I got it halfway off and I feel like its gonna completely snap. Idk where to pull from, can someone guide me? lol

Old 12-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
Okay, so do get this thing open...
(1) Insert the smallest flatest screwdriver you have within reason in between the tab and the dome indicated by the blue arrow. Push it all the way down towards the "ceiling" of your trunk, but be careful cause if your screwdriver is not flat enough the tab will break off. Maybe try a butterknife unless its too wide?
(2) Now, indicated by the red arrow, use leverage to pull slightly with the screwdriver towards the tab which will release the tab from the dome. The dome is on a plastic hinge and you will now be able to access the bulb.
Hope this helps. Goodluck! its really simple once you get it open and see how the tab/clip works haha.

Attached Thumbnails Trunk Cargo light replacement?-2yxmped.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Ogee:
Frankieg35 (12-27-2013), g35fnatic (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ogee
Okay, so do get this thing open...
(1) Insert the smallest flatest screwdriver you have within reason in between the tab and the dome indicated by the blue arrow. Push it all the way down towards the "ceiling" of your trunk, but be careful cause if your screwdriver is not flat enough the tab will break off. Maybe try a butterknife unless its too wide?
(2) Now, indicated by the red arrow, use leverage to pull slightly with the screwdriver towards the tab which will release the tab from the dome. The dome is on a plastic hinge and you will now be able to access the bulb.
Hope this helps. Goodluck! its really simple once you get it open and see how the tab/clip works haha.
Cant say thank you enough! Finally got the time to do it today and it was easy as hell. Thanks once again bro

Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah no problem. Brittle plastic parts are scary to work with haha especially when a dealership would charge like $50 to replace it

Old 12-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah no problem. Brittle plastic parts are scary to work with haha especially when a dealership would charge like $50 to replace it
You're always helping me out with light parts lol! First the license plates now trunk, do you happen to know how to take off the front grille? I watch these videos but for some reason I just cant get it off lol

Old 12-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by g35fnatic
You're always helping me out with light parts lol! First the license plates now trunk, do you happen to know how to take off the front grille? I watch these videos but for some reason I just cant get it off lol
Haha thats funny damn lights So to get the grill off:

(1) Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off the four plastic "rivets" holding it onto the blackish fiberglass composite structure that holds the grill onto the car.
***note*** There are actually 6 rivets but you only need to take off the four that the grill is connected to, the others (the farthest rivet on both the left and right sides) hold the bumper cover onto the car.
(2) Now, get a flashlight and look behind the grill through the hole where the hood release latch is. You will see eight metal clips that hold the grill onto the bumper cover. For each of these clips you have to pull on the metal prong down towards the floor and pull the grill towards you at the same time to release them. It is kinda tricky and might be easier to take the bumper off the car or at least pull it forward and leave the bolts on the bottom of the bumper still connected.

* i wish i had a camera to snap some pics to make this easier. sorry Let me know if i need to be clearer on any of these steps. Goodluck man!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Haha thats funny damn lights So to get the grill off:

(1) Use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off the four plastic "rivets" holding it onto the blackish fiberglass composite structure that holds the grill onto the car.
***note*** There are actually 6 rivets but you only need to take off the four that the grill is connected to, the others (the farthest rivet on both the left and right sides) hold the bumper cover onto the car.
(2) Now, get a flashlight and look behind the grill through the hole where the hood release latch is. You will see eight metal clips that hold the grill onto the bumper cover. For each of these clips you have to pull on the metal prong down towards the floor and pull the grill towards you at the same time to release them. It is kinda tricky and might be easier to take the bumper off the car or at least pull it forward and leave the bolts on the bottom of the bumper still connected.

* i wish i had a camera to snap some pics to make this easier. sorry Let me know if i need to be clearer on any of these steps. Goodluck man!
Ill snap some pictures when I get a chance later.. hopefully you can make a diagramm with thos arrows pointing at what to do lol. I understand taking off the 4 caps at the top but what I dont understand is the thing that is shaped as a diamond and you need to turn it so its a square so it can fit through the hole to pop out. Also the metal tabs at the bottom is giving me some problems to the last time I tried it.. oh well ill get pics soon like I said.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Great sounds good man! Yeah i can make those arrow diagrams to help out too.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Great sounds good man! Yeah i can make those arrow diagrams to help out too.
Finally got some pics lol!

So for this part, I need to take a flathead and turn it into a square so it can fit through correct?

Trunk Cargo light replacement?-fmnzvuk.jpg

Then for this part, I just pop off the 4 rivets ?

Trunk Cargo light replacement?-atbeu6b.jpg

Now this is the part im not so sure how to do, many people say pinch it up, some day push down slightly, i tried both and idk how to get it off lol

Trunk Cargo light replacement?-wtok1ak.jpg

Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Alrighty,
(1) Pop off the four plastic rivets holding the grill on. No need to take the one i marked off with a red x in the pic with or the matching one on the other side. Just the four that are attatched to the grill like the one i circled in blue.
(2) Now, you are correct, twist the squares with a flathead to allow the square to fit through the mating hole.
(3) The last and trickiest part is to push down slightly (red arrow) on the 8 metal tabs to allow them to slide through the slots in the bumper cover. So, minimal pressure needs to be applied both downwards to release the tabs and towards the grill (blue arrow) to keep pulling it free. The tricky part is to do this with all eight tabs without having one "go back in" or breaking off. Patience my friend Goodluck, and let me know if i can be clearer on any step cause its kind hard to explain with words and arrows lol.

Attached Thumbnails Trunk Cargo light replacement?-atbeu6b.jpg   Trunk Cargo light replacement?-wtok1ak.jpg