Notices

2006 Sedan headlights not working? both out same time - flicker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Sedan headlights not working? both out same time - flicker

the other day I noticed my headlights whent out on my 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan [base model] I bought Sylvania 2DS bulbs on Amazon and was prepared to replace [after learning I need to access from wheel well, however my coworker who is a bot more mechanically inclined than I am, suggested its odd for both lights to go out at exact same time. So we tried turning on the switch from auto to manual and noticed the high beams work fine, and the low beams on top flicker once or twice when turned to "on" so we are thinking maybe it is the ballast?

On a webiste doing a google search for "both headlights flickering Infiniti G35" a search result page claims that 90% of the time its ballast and not bulbs that are bad ;is this true?] The steps they suggest is
#1 fuse cheach
#2 bulb replace
#3 Ballast replace
#4 wiring check/replace

This is first time I have needed to change a headlight bulb on my car, I have accepted the initial sticker shock for OEM bulbs [no I didn't pay MSRP] I've accepted the fact that I will have to access these bulbs by removing tires and wheel wells [what a PITA] but now I am wondering if I should change the Ballast instead?

It does not seem like changing Ballast is any easier than changing the bulbs, but if I am going to have to drop bumper and wheel wells I would rather do the most likely fix needed.

Another note.. I have been told that when these type of bulbs go out, they turn pink first I don't remember that happening, and did not notice one go out before the other. The fact that both can do a one second flicker 2 times when turned on manually make me suspictious that its not the bulbs.

Any help and input is appreciated

Old 09-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by freykr
the other day I noticed my headlights whent out on my 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan [base model] I bought Sylvania 2DS bulbs on Amazon and was prepared to replace [after learning I need to access from wheel well, however my coworker who is a bot more mechanically inclined than I am, suggested its odd for both lights to go out at exact same time. So we tried turning on the switch from auto to manual and noticed the high beams work fine, and the low beams on top flicker once or twice when turned to "on" so we are thinking maybe it is the ballast?

On a webiste doing a google search for "both headlights flickering Infiniti G35" a search result page claims that 90% of the time its ballast and not bulbs that are bad ;is this true?] The steps they suggest is
#1 fuse cheach
#2 bulb replace
#3 Ballast replace
#4 wiring check/replace

This is first time I have needed to change a headlight bulb on my car, I have accepted the initial sticker shock for OEM bulbs [no I didn't pay MSRP] I've accepted the fact that I will have to access these bulbs by removing tires and wheel wells [what a PITA] but now I am wondering if I should change the Ballast instead?

It does not seem like changing Ballast is any easier than changing the bulbs, but if I am going to have to drop bumper and wheel wells I would rather do the most likely fix needed.

Another note.. I have been told that when these type of bulbs go out, they turn pink first I don't remember that happening, and did not notice one go out before the other. The fact that both can do a one second flicker 2 times when turned on manually make me suspictious that its not the bulbs.

Any help and input is appreciated
I would check #1 and #4 first since it's the cheapest fix if that was the issue.

The following users liked this post:
freykr (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Spartan268
I would check #1 and #4 first since it's the cheapest fix if that was the issue.
Checked headlight fuses, they are good, reversed low HL relay with high HL relay since they are the same... that did not make a difference. Still both low beam lights flick one time when turn light switch on and hig beam lights work fine when they are turned on.

I dont even know where to begin checking the wiring for the headlights? any suggestions?

I already have new bulbs so I will go ahead and replace them, but my my neighbor in my business park sells aftermarket light conversion kits and he said both lights going out at same time is very odd and two ballasts going out at same time also strange.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Smile Problem solved

Well I guess it as simply that the bulbs burned out. I replaced one and that worked, so replaced the other side and now both work. Its a huge difference than before I noticed them not working. I am thinking maybe one side was burned out long time ago and I never noticed. I can sure see much better than before, nice blanket of white light now, so I must have gotten used to dim headlights or maybe even one not working.

Anyway, replaced them but taking off tire and wheel well, was slightly tricky but overall not too difficult. I'm just glad its fixed

Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by freykr
Well I guess it as simply that the bulbs burned out. I replaced one and that worked, so replaced the other side and now both work. Its a huge difference than before I noticed them not working. I am thinking maybe one side was burned out long time ago and I never noticed. I can sure see much better than before, nice blanket of white light now, so I must have gotten used to dim headlights or maybe even one not working.

Anyway, replaced them but taking off tire and wheel well, was slightly tricky but overall not too difficult. I'm just glad its fixed
Good to hear

My passenger side headlight sometimes flickers (Over bumps normally) and flickers for a bit then dies out. Then I need to turn it off then back on and it's good. But I hardly notice it go out, one headlight alone is powerful enough as it is so it's plausible you never noticed it.