Notices

need to find a headlight lens or way to restore it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need to find a headlight lens or way to restore it

Whats up guys? Got an 07 sedan with tech headlights and im on the hunt for a drivers side headlight (really only the lens) OR a way to polish/make the lens as close to new as possible.

Heres what happened... it was a little foggy in the top corner (the most common spot where it starts) and i took 3M headlight restorer to the whole headlight lens (stupid i know i should have just used it on the top corner, the only place that was somewhat foggy).

It basically made the whole lens frosty looking.

Here is a before pic

And here is an after pic.

now my 2 questions are...

Is there a special compound to get rid of the frosty look of my headlight lens?

If i go to a junk yard/find a used headlight for a reasonable price on here or ebay (with or without tech), could i just pop out the lens and put it on to my current headlight?

Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
wet sand, wet sand, and wet sand again! it takes a LOOONG time if you are doing it by hand, but you can get it looking like new again. I suggest getting a kit that lets you use a drill. Add the provided headlight protectant cream afterwards. I just did this on my mom 98 lincoln Mark VIII LSC. her headlights were so fogged you couldn't see the reflectors. When I was done (about an hour of sanding) she thought I had put a new lense on. Takes a lot of patience and a lot of hand cramps! lol

Old 08-25-2015, 05:09 PM
also, buffing it will help tons if you have a buffer. The only downside to all of this is the OEM UV protectant is now gone. you will most likely have to keep maintaining the lense once every year or so.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
wet sand, wet sand, and wet sand again! it takes a LOOONG time if you are doing it by hand, but you can get it looking like new again. I suggest getting a kit that lets you use a drill. Add the provided headlight protectant cream afterwards. I just did this on my mom 98 lincoln Mark VIII LSC. her headlights were so fogged you couldn't see the reflectors. When I was done (about an hour of sanding) she thought I had put a new lense on. Takes a lot of patience and a lot of hand cramps! lol
No, listen, i used the kit on part of the headlight where it WASNT foggy (about 85% of the headlight) and the little spot where it was foggy came out clear and way better looking than it was (compare the tippy top corners in both pics above). I used 3M headlight restorer which is the best brand u can buy.

I used it where i shouldnt have and not it looks like sanded plastic. Thats what i mean by frosted look, there is no sun damage or anything it is literally caused by using the kit on a part of the headlight that was ALREADY clear. So im looking for some sort of solution to get out the dull-ness that i caused.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Sand wet with 500 - 2000 - 4000 and then use plastX from Meguiars to restore headlights that are plastic. Works for me.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Ive used the 3m kit before. My new miguires kit does a better job imo. You really have to keep at it with the final grit sandpaper, making sure you consistently rinse off the headlight and sandpaper.
If you dont want to deal with that hassle check Ebay for a new headlight.