Notices

Lighting Help H1 HID conversion

Old 11-17-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighting Help H1 HID conversion

Hello! My name is Brady James and I live in the San Gabriel Valley area.

I am terrible when it comes to electric and wiring so that is why I am here.

I would like to convert my H1 fog lights to HID and have read about it on here but dont feel comfortable cutting and splicing wires and botching up my system.

From what I have read its a medium sized job and I know the G35 Driver community is rich with talent, especially in the Los Angeles area.

If anyone would be willing to help me do the conversion I would be more than willing to negotiate a price.

Please PM me if this is feasible for you and lets work something out. I cant wait to get the HID fog light conversion.

Thank you!
Brady James

Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Being you said H1 FOGS to HID I assume you have a coupe with projectors or a sedan with Xenon headlamps already? Please clarify.

Typically the upgrade involves removing the headlights (yes, you need to do this), changing the bulb to an HID bulb made for reflectors, and then cutting new holes for wiring in the plastic cover plate. Finally, you have to find a place to mount the ballast near the headlamp.

Get us more info we can't read your mind. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Being you said H1 FOGS to HID I assume you have a coupe with projectors or a sedan with Xenon headlamps already? Please clarify.

Typically the upgrade involves removing the headlights (yes, you need to do this), changing the bulb to an HID bulb made for reflectors, and then cutting new holes for wiring in the plastic cover plate. Finally, you have to find a place to mount the ballast near the headlamp.

Get us more info we can't read your mind. Thanks.
Thank you for the reply. Indeed, I have a 2006 Coupe 6MT. I have bi xenon HID lights with the H1 fog bulbs located in the housing beneath the HIDs.

Ive been browsing the conversion kits on ebay but am unsure of their quality and lifespan. Any recommendations on a quality conversion kit would be much appreciated too.

Ive searched the forum and have read a couple of DIY but my electric/wiring skills and knowledge suck. I am more mechanical minded.

2006 G35 6MT

Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Do you just want a color matched bulb? Is that the goal here? Or is it more output. Let us know . This effects the cost big time.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Do you just want a color matched bulb? Is that the goal here? Or is it more output. Let us know . This effects the cost big time.
What exactly is the difference in cost and which one is more expensive? I suppose I would like the lights that are more functional and practical even though all lights matching looks cool.

Last edited by bradyjames; 11-18-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
idk how the hid tech has changed since i did mine back in the day but i recall the small ballast type usually having issues. i like the large regular size ballast those ive had great experience with

Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
idk how the hid tech has changed since i did mine back in the day but i recall the small ballast type usually having issues. i like the large regular size ballast those ive had great experience with
Good to know. From what I have seen the HID conversion uses the small ballasts. Is it possible to use the larger ballast for the HID fog lights?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:23 PM
all the aftermarket ballasts are pretty much the same same connectors too. maybe they dont sell the larger ones anymore. this was awhile ago. try find a local shop that sells it so u can see it in person

Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
this will be super simple. I suggest you get a set of Kensun HID's with the slim digital A/C ballast. Phenomenal performance for a great price. The ballast are filled with a resin so they are 100% waterproof. Fire-up time is pretty good too for being aftermarket.
Also get an H1 relay harness, since HID ballasts consume more power than halogen, and have been known to melt wires, do weird things with the ecu on certain cars (Especially Chryslers and their damn TIPM)

Everything is plug n play, except you have to run the power to from the harness to the battery. No biggie. You can get all this for only $70.

HID kit-
Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H1 - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H1 - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive

Relay harness-http://www.amazon.com/Zenex-Single-Beam-Relay-Harness/dp/B00GEIIQ26/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1447975527&sr= 1-2&keywords=h1+relay+harness

Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 PM
naw u dont need a relay bc it might "melt " ur wires. that hasnt been relevent since the early 90s. people need to stop saying that thats bs

Old 11-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

It melts the wires if the draw is too high, so typically lower wattage HID's are a better choice to save watts of energy and create a safety margin.

That kit will do you fine, but make sure it is says reflectors and not projectors thanks .

The ballast types they mention are essentially blah, but remember fogs like brights are something you really want to work when you need them to, so sometimes a warm up time could be annoying.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:29 PM
theres usually only 35 and 55 wat kits. most go with the 35 watt kit which is plenty safe imo

Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Plus the idiots back in the day installing 100w "hid" halogen bulbs were the ones melting.their wires that's how it all started

Old 11-20-2015, 02:03 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Dont be ignorant. We have reports of melted wires on my other forum due to hids. If these cars can handle it with no relay, then even better.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
Dont be ignorant. We have reports of melted wires on my other forum due to hids. If these cars can handle it with no relay, then even better.
I appreciate all the good information and feedback.

I have no problem using a relay and going with a 35 watt or 55 watt kit. Any one who could help me with the install locally?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lighting Help H1 HID conversion