the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PLENUMCOUPE
Why wouldn't you follow the lines that are already on the hood
The line I drew is a direct extension from the grille to the back corner of the hood. I like the interesting curve of the hood as it rises to the sides and wanted to accentuate it.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 PM
welll... that was an interesting experiment.

short story is, the car is back..never touched, except pulling off my masking tape on the hood and a half-assed attempt at removing the rear driver side stone guard.

i did however drop the front bumper and grill off at the body shop around the corner and the car is now all one color..or at least one shade. Red

haven't begun to think about the bash/support bar build or the fog lights. at least i have the car back, no damage, and i still have the Volks that were to pay for the job.

say what you will, but this is the first time in a LONG time and a ALOT of Craigslist dealing that I got screwed.

Pictures of the red front end after I clean the car tomorrow and try to get the tape residue off the hood.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EPiK
Thanks. The last 20+yrs working on cars and having no fear to work on and build anything, has been fun, interesting andinformative, and paid the bills well at the same time. However if I had chosen my current career that same 20yrs ago, I'd be in line to buy the new 911R right now.

I now work in surgery, 3rd shift in a trauma center...in the redneck riviera. If I had started on this path in my 20s I'd be a surgeon right now. This job is THAT cool.

This car just gets me there and back. I like to enjoy the ride.

Really liked your post, this actually answered my question about what I have to do when I get the car. It's not like the car is going to have problems right away but it's good to know what to look out for and swap so you know it'll be good with no headaches. I don't have 20+ years experience working on cars I have about half that and have my guys in the SoCal area with shops that let me use their equipment.

I'm not married yet but my previous post as new to the forum my thing was if this car was gona break my wallet like my 5 series was doing because I was only buying oem parts for the car but after looking at your thread I am happy to say my decision is final and picking up the car

Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed my thread, and happy to have helped.
Welcome to owning a G.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 AM
Took some pics of the car dirty the other day. Doesn't look horrible though so I'll post it later.

Also just ordered a new Denso radiator, Gates water pump, a new thermostat and front crank seal. When I install it all, I'll be finally installing the AMS underdrive pulleys and belts that I've had for a year now practically. I'll be paying close attention to any vibration issues with the crank.

Tomorrow I'm installing the front fender liners I picked up on RockAuto and also crawling under the car to find the oil leak I've been smelling on the exhaust. It's either the rear of the oil pan, or the rear main seal, so I'll put the car on jackstands safely, clean it up well and start the car and wait to see where the drip comes from. After determining that and hopefully fixing it (oil pan re-seal) I'll change the oil. If not able to fix it right now (rear main) I'll start shopping for a good deal on a CD009 6mt to replace my 5th gear grinding trans in the car right now. And just change the oil and filter for now and endure the leak.

Then there is the ball joints I need to replace, may as well do the front compression bushings and upper arms and tie rods as well, and the rear diff bushing is split...And I want 4.08 gears, and an aluminum or cf driveshaft... *sigh*

Never done.. but it will get there. and it will be awesome.

Stay Tuned

Old 10-14-2016, 01:59 AM
Niceeee, that's crazy man how much have you invested in the car until now?

Old 10-14-2016, 04:41 PM
Well, its like this. Even if you pay cash for a car, you are never really done paying for it. You have to do routine maintenance, and upkeep, even if you never modify it from stock. Even moreso on the maintenance if you do modify it.

At 113k when I bought the car, I did the spark plugs, Cam angle sensors and oxygen sensors. Also the valve cover gaskets. The spark plug tubes had oil and needed replaced.. I also found out the fuel injectors were leaking and replaced them. Parts are designed to last, but I don't think it is out of the question to understand they don't last forever. They did their jobs for over 100k miles for over 12 years.. not too shabby.

I don't add up how much I've spent. Don't ever do that.. lol

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (12-03-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:47 PM

Much better...but still not clean yet.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:48 AM

Finally washed it and goo gone'd the hood with the masking tape residue.

Installed the front fender liners also. Go Rockauto.com

I need to find the bumper grille inserts and put them in.

I have a new radiator, water pump and tstat arriving here in a few days, I'll install the grilles this weekend when I do all the rest of that.

Stay Tuned

Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Well, its like this. Even if you pay cash for a car, you are never really done paying for it. You have to do routine maintenance, and upkeep, even if you never modify it from stock. Even moreso on the maintenance if you do modify it.

At 113k when I bought the car, I did the spark plugs, Cam angle sensors and oxygen sensors. Also the valve cover gaskets. The spark plug tubes had oil and needed replaced.. I also found out the fuel injectors were leaking and replaced them. Parts are designed to last, but I don't think it is out of the question to understand they don't last forever. They did their jobs for over 100k miles for over 12 years.. not too shabby.

I don't add up how much I've spent. Don't ever do that.. lol

Hey epic after u did all that stuff do you or did you have a rattling notice coming from the passenger side? I read about the heat shield but it sounds more like valves

Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 AM

Finally washed it and goo gone'd the hood with the masking tape residue.

Installed the front fender liners also. Go Rockauto.com

I need to find the bumper grille inserts and put them in.

I have a new radiator, water pump and tstat arriving here in a few days, I'll install the grilles this weekend when I do all the rest of that.

Stay Tuned

Looks super sexy man, you know I'm watching

Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by TheNurse
Hey epic after u did all that stuff do you or did you have a rattling notice coming from the passenger side? I read about the heat shield but it sounds more like valves
I have headers on my car, so no heat shields. No rattling from anything else either. What situation causes the rattle you hear? At idle? accelerating...certain rpm?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 AM
I have headers on my car, so no heat shields. No rattling from anything else either. What situation causes the rattle you hear? At idle? accelerating...certain rpm?

Its usually during a strain (that's what I call it lol)
Like let's say if you shift a little early or don't give it enough gas I hear like a loud valve ticking. I don't do it horribly like take off in 2nd gear or purposely do it. I shift a little early sometimes because I'm just cruising or don't want to rev up too high in traffic.
But it's typically around 2.5 k rpm

Old 10-20-2016, 02:58 AM
By the way I'm thinking of changing headlights to a 350z headlights because of how the headlight is in the middle �� What do you think about that?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM
what yr is your car? the later 05-06 G headlights are dual hid projectors and have a different look and better lighting performance. pretty sure the 350z lights are not drop in either..lots of work to fit them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?