the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Fixed it! I have a suspicion that the ports may be flipped on the later model solenoid, but I repaired the broken port on mine and cleared the DTCs again, and zero'd learned fuel in Cipher. I took her out for an easy drive at first, just in case, no issues at all. Took it on the hwy and drone is minimal, almost non existent when using cruise control.

Most important, the 2500-3000 rpm rasp is GONE!

So. ....since the ecu is learning. ..I ripped it thru the gears.
Here is tonight..

Here is the last time, same road, with the long tube headers months ago.

that is an easy launch then matting the gas thru 4th gear, both videos.

This car will be nuts when I put in a set of 4.08s, and drop a few 100# off her.

that was a good drive. Much needed. But much more to do yet til she's "done"

Stay tuned

Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been lurking and watching this post for a while. Congrats- sounds good! Excited to see more.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Went ahead and ordered a new evap sensor, I think my superglue job has a pinhole. She was surging and stumbling a bit the other day. Seems like vacuum to me.

Catch can is right under the evap sensor and that's how I broke the port when changing the transmission.

Here's a peek at the headers I broke my hand installing

Next project is the rear end. Toe bolts, camber arms and a new diff bushing because mine is shot. Need to buy bushing though yet. Would LOVE to score some 4.08 r/p when I do take it down.

All put back together, and somewhat clean

then I need front ball joints. ...

stay tuned

Old 01-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Update had a CEL for the second oxygen sensor on driver's side cleared a couple times wouldn't go away so just over a year old (and out of warranty) replaced that O2 sensor.

I'm hearing a whirring sound on the passenger rear. Time to check out the wheel bearings. I also know from my last time working on the car that the u joints are in bad shape. 2017 will be a productive year. Once I get all that changed, along with a clutch, flywheel and bushings, I'd like to run an HPDE with it.

A few days til I get this cast off and then work will resume.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM
YEAAA! The cast is off, and plans are being made.. Right now though, the shifting is a little tough and I'm suspecting the clutch hydraulics needs bled. So out to the driveway I go......

Christmas money is going into ball joints, diff bushings and other bushings.. She's got a pretty good suspension rattle going on up front...I'm sure it's still all original stuff though, and at just over 127k she's deserving of it.

The squirm from the rear end from the squashed diff bushing is getting more noticeable, but I've got to say it is still very predictable handling. The clear cool weather we've been having here in the South (20s-30s) is awesome for the car's breathing, and romping the gas rolling in 2nd gear makes the cold back tires boil like there is 400hp under the hood... I'm going to get into trouble.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm envious. You have quite the talent. It's too bad you're far from me. I'd love to see this car. Keep it up.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Haven't posted in a while here so time to chime in. Sorry about the hand but glad it's better. I have said for years when I work on any car that if I didn't bleed in at least one place by the time I was done then I didn't work hard enough, cracks my girlfriend up. You have the patience of a saint, but when you have a Porsche to drive as well I suspect that makes it easier to take your time with the G. Build is going great and should be an inspiration to all new members on how to do things right.

Keep it up brother!!!

Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM
The whirring sound in the passenger rear was a loose axle nut. This is the second time that I have had to tighten that nut (there is a cotter pin..it's going nowhere dangerously..) As it loosens up there is play in the hub and the axle. Cranked it down again and looking to order a new locking nut for both sides in the back.

Currently in therapy for my hand, and it's getting more useful. Trying to be back at work by the end of the month.

I'm compiling a long list of projects to finish everything needed on the car.

-clutch and lightweight flywheel..was supposed to already have, but it is stock I found out.
-cf or aluminum driveshaft...alternatively just change the u-joints..they are feeling chunky
-front balljoints, upper and lower
-install rear camber arms and toe bolts
-innovate lc-1 wideband..for logging a/f and getting an actual tune on Osiris
-4.08 ring and pinion

Wants..not needs..
-plastidip the car some candy Porsche color (think GT3RS) the paint is getting worse by the day
-trade out the heavy stock seats for GT3 reps and harnesses
-fix up the broken bits in the interior ('03 clock surround broken, cracked door pulls)
-new shift boot/****

BlueDream.. I wish I could drive that Porsche. It remains stripped in the driveway, engine stripped in the garage, manual early Sport seats stripped in the attic.. etc..you get the picture. Major undertaking that really needs to happen. Seems ever ytime I look at the clock it is either 9:44 am or pm.. I think she is giving me hints.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Working on some deals to hopefully knock out 2 of the big ones on my first list. If it goes down well, it will be a big upgrade in performance from the combo, and solve a few major problems at the same time.

I'm also a few minutes from finally ordering an Innovate wideband for datalogging a/f for Osiris/Cipher. (Stupid '03s and yer no wideband ecus)

But hey.. I'm $149.00 away from having an actual tune on the car finally.

So far I'm running on a slightly tweaked (7k rpm) base map with bolt ons,..but my car has custom built exhaust, resonated test pipes, shorty headers, actual routed/shielded cold air intake....lotsa stuff. I can t WAIT to datalog a few rips on the car and send them off to Joe.

Updates on the stuff I actually did do lately.. pulled and cleaned and re-gapped all the plugs. Re-gapped you say?? Yes, I did re-gap platinum plugs, that are only 15k old, and had lost on average .003-.005" of gap since new. So now they are like new again.

My next set of plugs will probably be iridium anyway.. but the car runs smoother now, so no damage to the platinum points was done.

Main reason I pulled it apart was to check the gasket resealing I did almost 15k miles ago. Careful use of gray rtv (expertly applied) and a new gasket will work if installed properly. There was zip zilch zero oil in all 6 spark plug tubes. I re-gapped and cleaned the plugs, popped them back in, started the car to make sure all was good.

Next job was the oil catch can. Remounted behind the motor.. but I could see fluid in the sight tube. Gotta empty it.

Eventually extracted from between the intake plenum and firewall.. I decided to try and use a JP drain from work, instead of pulling all the hoses off. Drain, empty repeat.. Full=100mL.. I pulled 2 and a half out of this can, of the most nasty ratpuke exhaust condensation smelling..water. Then I had to reinstall it.

I have figured out though, next time I can just leave it in place, pull a hose and drain thru that

Last edited by EPiK; 02-01-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered the Innovate 3844 wb. I'll have it tomorrow, and fix a crack I found in my $20 test pipe while I'm down there.

Also went ahead and ordered the Whiteline diff bushing set. Mine is just way too shot to deal with anymore. When that goes in I'll do the toe bolts and camber arms in the back too.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Got the wideband kit yesterday... was 70* and sunny..and I was lazy.

Today..40s and rain.. bleehh

going to try and meet up with a buddy tomorrow that just picked up an 04 6mt coupe. Doing a little work to both at my place weather permitting.. so tomorrow I should have some data to send Joe and finally TUNE this beotch.

I'll snap some pics too

Old 02-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Progress... found a local guy parting an 03 coupe and pulled a lot of little things that had been bugging me.

-exterior A pillar trim that was broken by the windshield installers that didn't know how to remove it. Got the trims and seals and all. DONE

-03 clock surround that the PO had broken a corner off of and I always hated it. DONE

-driver door pull cover that was cracked and glued back together by the PO. Picked up both sides. DONE

-grabbed the window switches for both doors.. Saved for later til I need them

-doorsill covers in better shape than mine.. saved, haven't installed yet.

-interior A pillar trim since mine was broken and hanging off. DONE

-underhood battery cover that was always missing. DONE

-cover for the cubby between the back seats. DONE

I also got the new Whiteline diff bushing kit last week but haven't gotten it into the car yet. I did weld a few cracks in my $20 used resonated test pipes on Saturday, then washed the car. That was it.

Still need to install the wideband o2 gauge but I HATE checking and tapping wires.. anybody want to point me to a list of wires to find and tap?

As always ball joints are still badly in need of replacement. Reccomendations?? MevoTech looks good...

Last edited by EPiK; 02-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Good morning, pretty girl

Can't believe I have put nearly 15k on this car so far.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Mevotech is marketed as a stock replacement, and I used their compression rods in my suspension revitalization. Should work fine, but ask the lowered guys because you are lowered.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:05 PM
I didn't think there would be heavy duty ball joints but if there are, I'll look into them. Since I do plan on tracking the car occasionally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?