My First (probably last) Build Thread- Yosip1115

Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
^thanks but my tuck/engine work is nothing like the Rryde guys/HotRodG35 on here.

Like i said...there's always more that can be done. I look at some of my wires and i want to redo them.

As for the fuel lines..they look like my stock 350z did. I imagine that nissan used the same fuel setup across the board.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Cux350z
^thanks but my tuck/engine work is nothing like the Rryde guys/HotRodG35 on here.

Like i said...there's always more that can be done. I look at some of my wires and i want to redo them.

As for the fuel lines..they look like my stock 350z did. I imagine that nissan used the same fuel setup across the board.
I have an entire engine harness available with 30k on it if you feel like starting over.

I'm thinking the same with the fuel lines, I found it hard to believe that they would use different sizes for the X model, not that I don't trust your tuner epborden but it just doesn't make sense from a manufacturer point of view. Regardless, a CJM return system has been added to the list. I will pick that up after getting the SC kit out of the way. Thank you for the advice EP.

Side note:
So far the driveshaft shop has SUCKED.

I placed my order more than 9 weeks ago which is nearly 3x the build time they advertise.

Has anybody had experience with this company before? I've heard mixed reviews.

Supposedly they are waiting for the yolks to come in, but still.

Every time I call they say it will ship by the end of the week, that's been the story for 4 weeks!

Old 05-26-2015, 05:18 PM
The main difference in fuel line between platforms is the length. 350z is shorter than G35 coupe and g35 coupe is shorter than G35 sedan. so let charles at CJM know that before you order so he can get the right length.

It wouldnt make sense for an OEM to engineer separate fuel systems for the same engine. Possible though....most of these cars have electric fans...seems like some have belt driven. Crazier things have been done.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Update:

The drive shaft finally came in, ten weeks later.... Quality looks good, I'm sure it will make a big difference going down the road.

I've saved 75% of the cash I need for the SC kit, I'm hoping to get the car on the road before november. Much more to buy besides just the SC kit.

Last edited by yosip1115; 05-23-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM
with a silver engine bay/body color you should go with an accent color to make things pop. else it will look sterile.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Cux350z
with a silver engine bay/body color you should go with an accent color to make things pop. else it will look sterile.
It was supposed to be gunmetal to match the rims. I'm looking into it...

Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
nice work man! SuB'd

Old 06-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Quick update, the motor came out alright, I don't think these photos give it justice. I am having the plenum re-painted to match the block's darker gunmetal. It all came out different than I expected but it should do. Valve covers still aren't done but they should be vortech blue soon. Edit: What do you guys think about the plenum color? He chose it after a lot of thought and discussion with some of his show car buddies. They claim if it was all one color nothing would pop. I still haven't actually asked him to shoot it matching gunmetal.

Here's another pass time project; replacement aluminum grommet hole plug #1 to cover up the holes resulting from the wire tuck. I am thinking I could make a mold and make a few sets out of black polyurethane, anybody interested? I'm not going to machine any more for anybody with silver paint, not for cheap at least...

I got off the phone with Z1 earlier feeling great. I sent back a mild performance clutch to have it swapped for a JWT or Z1 street performance since I'm going FI. USPS lost the package. Z1 honored it and I just had to pay the difference like I was planning from the beginning! Didn't get the JWT like I wanted, but still Z1 took care of me.

Thanks again for the positive and negative feedback guys; very cool.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Need to re-paint my engine, color suggestions? I'm also doing valve covers. I'm open to any suggestions.
Plan to polish the upper plenum, and hard lines.

If he did the prep work the first time then I would keep it as is but the paint peels when you put painters tape on it...Ugh.

Last edited by yosip1115; 06-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
With that grey, purple is always a winner IMO. Be different, don't do blue or red...and especially no lime (monster) green shenanigans.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
With that grey, purple is always a winner IMO. Be different, don't do blue or red...and especially no lime (monster) green shenanigans.
Thoughts on polished plenum and timing cover? I need to remove it anyway to get at it with paint stripper.

As for the purple I agree it would be sweet but I like the idea of the engine matching another aspect of the car that's why I wanted gunmetal. Purple may be too out of place.

I'm also hard pressed to find a color matched high temp solution which is why I've swayed towards polished... Undecided... As usual haha

Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well one problem with the G is that from the factory the fuel system is not a return style system. As far as running the fuel LINES you could get your shop (or yourself) to run custom ones of the desired length, I chose to go with steel braided.

I am running Cosworth fuel rails, Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors and 320lph fuel pump.

Spend the money up front on quality parts, get it installed at once, save yourself a headache later. Otherwise you'll be going back and forth doing tuning who knows how many times while you upgrade the car. Your tuner may or may not let you tune for free subsequent times

Also I JUST polished all my supercharger piping, plenum, and timing cover. It is super easy to take care of and cheap to get done, I found a guy on Craigslist, there are guys on here as well. I would high-temp paint your block and polish your parts since you have the engine out. If you DIDN'T have the engine out I'd say just powdercoat the covers you can reach instead, because when polishing it kind of all has to match or it looks weird - in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by epborden
Well one problem with the G is that from the factory the fuel system is not a return style system. As far as running the fuel LINES you could get your shop (or yourself) to run custom ones of the desired length, I chose to go with steel braided.

I am running Cosworth fuel rails, Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors and 320lph fuel pump.

Spend the money up front on quality parts, get it installed at once, save yourself a headache later. Otherwise you'll be going back and forth doing tuning who knows how many times while you upgrade the car. Your tuner may or may not let you tune for free subsequent times

Also I JUST polished all my supercharger piping, plenum, and timing cover. It is super easy to take care of and cheap to get done, I found a guy on Craigslist, there are guys on here as well. I would high-temp paint your block and polish your parts since you have the engine out. If you DIDN'T have the engine out I'd say just powdercoat the covers you can reach instead, because when polishing it kind of all has to match or it looks weird - in my opinion.

I'm leaving the block as it is with the crappy gunmetal paint since it can barely be seen and the block seems to have taken the paint better than the timing cover...

I'm going with the RFS from CJM but wasn't planning on upgrading the fuel rails because I am not looking for anything more than 400WHP. No need to upgrade stock rails, right?

I'm contemplating polishing myself or sending the timing cover off. Do you know approximate prices to send parts off? I'm wondering if it is worth my time or not to go buy polishing supplies. Thank you for the input.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think your block looks great, I just saw it. As you know basically none of it will "really" be seen once you put it back in. Even the timing cover service panels are barely visible, and in my opinion I'd color match them. I've never really liked how people, no offense of course, mismatch those panels from the timing cover to try and make something pop. I understand the need to make colors pop out but I think it can be better done else where. Anyway on the polishing, I went on Craigslist (automotive section) and just search for polish this and that until I found a guy that would do it. A lot of places that sandblast/parts clean might be able to do it, or places that powder coat if you enquire with them. You might get lucky, as the guy I found did all of my parts for about $180. You can do it yourself of course but I hear it is a pain in the *** and takes awhile to do.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by epborden
I think your block looks great, I just saw it. As you know basically none of it will "really" be seen once you put it back in. Even the timing cover service panels are barely visible, and in my opinion I'd color match them. I've never really liked how people, no offense of course, mismatch those panels from the timing cover to try and make something pop. I understand the need to make colors pop out but I think it can be better done else where. Anyway on the polishing, I went on Craigslist (automotive section) and just search for polish this and that until I found a guy that would do it. A lot of places that sandblast/parts clean might be able to do it, or places that powder coat if you enquire with them. You might get lucky, as the guy I found did all of my parts for about $180. You can do it yourself of course but I hear it is a pain in the *** and takes awhile to do.
you're telling me! I told him to spray the entire thing gunmetal (I sent him a picture of the color to match) and polish the top plenum and that's what I got...and he wants extra money! I was planning on paying him a good amount of money but he started half-assing everything. Now I need to tear the block down and replace the piston rings he painted! No but really, I need to remove the timing cover and strip all of the paint before I can even begin polishing, what a waste. Painting used to be one of my exceptions to the want it done right do it yourself rule...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My First (probably last) Build Thread- Yosip1115