New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Possible New Member/PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Possible New Member/PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys, I am really considering trading in my IS250AT for a G35 6MT. It's an 06 with 74k miles, about the same as mine. I've read and been lurking around the forums a bit including the 350Z and other forums with the VQDE UpRev and VQHR.

I am really worried the car may consume oil though, so I wanted to ask.
Through the years, has anybody found a solution to the oil consumption other than replacing the shortblock or honing the walls/new pistons?
I saw a video about on Youtube about a baffled oil catch can for the G35. He claimed it stopped his oil consumption and the viewers who commented didn't really provide an answer on if it actually helped or not...
Anybody here do the oil catch can and resolve the oil consumption problem?

Otherwise, I'd really hate to say it, but I'll be trading the car for a 2007 SI sedan instead. I mean of course boost is in the future for either cars but I am just curious about the G35 since it's more of a sexy design. Don't really care about the 3400lbs.
If I do go check out the vehicle, how do I check if it consumes oil and confirm it? It's at a dealership.

Last edited by lajlijthoj; 10-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
There's no way to know if the vehicle consumes oil just by looking at it.
Just like the dealership does you would have to monitor the oil level over a period of time which unfortunately doesn't help your situation.
You could check the service history to see if the short or long block has been replaced on that car.
It doesn't guarantee that it is impervious to future OC issues, but it is some piece of mind.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Look at the tail pipes. If they're really black and sooty, it consumes a lot of oil. If they've got a little soot, it may consume a little. Mine are a light rust color inside. I consume almost no oil at all. Maybe 1/4-1/2qt every 4000 miles, but that's normal for any car. Mine isn't a revup tho.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by irishsig
There's no way to know if the vehicle consumes oil just by looking at it.
Just like the dealership does you would have to monitor the oil level over a period of time which unfortunately doesn't help your situation.
You could check the service history to see if the short or long block has been replaced on that car.
It doesn't guarantee that it is impervious to future OC issues, but it is some piece of mind.
Thanks. I was able to see a carfax and service record, but nothing about a replaced block or anything on the TSB! I guess maybe the dealership doesn't tell you unless you bring it up to them? Well, whatever the fact, it's too late to have Infiniti do anything about it for free

Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Look at the tail pipes. If they're really black and sooty, it consumes a lot of oil. If they've got a little soot, it may consume a little. Mine are a light rust color inside. I consume almost no oil at all. Maybe 1/4-1/2qt every 4000 miles, but that's normal for any car. Mine isn't a revup tho.
Thanks! But couldn't the dealership really just clean up the tailpipe and sell it? I mean, I can always ask if it consumes oil, but they may have no idea of knowing and say they don't know so I'll be back at square one...
I've seen some tailpipe cleaning/refurbishing of an NSX my buddy did and it looked brand new!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by lajlijthoj
Thanks! But couldn't the dealership really just clean up the tailpipe and sell it? I mean, I can always ask if it consumes oil, but they may have no idea of knowing and say they don't know so I'll be back at square one...
I've seen some tailpipe cleaning/refurbishing of an NSX my buddy did and it looked brand new!
Yeah, but they aren't gonna think to clean deep inside. This is a big investment, you can do whatever you want to protect yourself. Bring a flashlight and really look in there. Car proctology style. Really get in there. Stick your finger in there. Better yet, stick something longer in there. Really try to get deep inside with a long hard..oh oh oh...wrong forum..

Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 PM
This thread just gave me a million dollar idea.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Find out what kind of warranty do they offer with their used vehicles?
You may be able to get an extended guarantee for protection against an oc issue.
If oil consumption is going to happen it should def have occurred by now or at least before 100k miles.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought an 05 coupe and from what I understand it has the rev up motor. After I drove the car and signed the papers the guy told me it was consuming oil. I was a little pissed, but I found a solution for now anyway. So to convert to synthetic, which is all I use, I ran mobile one 10w40 with petroleum based oil stabilizer. I did that twice and after no leaks I flushed it with sea foam to clean it followed by a flush of sythetic and now I use 4qts of mobile one 10w40 full synthetic with 1qt of Lucas full synthetic oil stabilizer and after a few oil changes I noticed I don't burn very much anymore and my motor doesn't strain past 3500rpm.

I have heard of the oil catch can working, however that just recycles the blow by gasses that get into the crank case. That would keep the pressure inside the case from forcing oil past the rings. Honestly if you want an easy fix it would be thicker oil, but that doesn't completely fix the problem. Honing the cylinders and making sure the pistons and rings maintain a stable compression is all I can think of.

If the rings are not perfect they won't work and if the cylinder isn't perfect that allows oil to seep through. Regardless of what you decide to do if you buy the g you will love your pretty little Nissan dispite all of its flaws. I have a list of things I dislike about my g, but all and all it is too much fun to drive and more reliable than my wife's Chevy.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:39 PM
^Just outta curiosity what model/yr chevy does she drive?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 PM
She has a 2012 cruze. I was a HARDCORE bowtie guy, but after this car and all the recalls I'm taking a break. With the exception of the lsx and zr1.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait does all G35 burn oil ?? And what's rev up engine how can I know which type is mine ?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 PM
To sum up your question, yes. I have never had a car that didnt burn oil. The amount of burn off is what stands out with some of the g's. My last truck went like 1mm down the stick after almost 10k miles.

I think 05-08coupes had the rev up. Which from my understanding is all in the tune. I read something about it awhile back on here. Use search to find it, but basically its a vq35de that produces a little more power with a little more rpm available. My redline is from 7-8 and the tach stops. I don't think the sedans got the rev up, but right before the g37 the sedan got the hr motor with twin intakes. Those are noticeably faster than the de from my experience in the 350s.

The following users liked this post:
AJ/g35s (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks I got the answer
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...-rev-up-2.html
I just was curious about my car had oil into the spur-plug so I thought this had to do with burning oil

Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 AM
I would say so. From what I have read the motor doesn't burn the oil. The oil seeps past the compression rings on the pistons entering the combustion chamber a round of combustion some residue stays the rest of the oil exits from exhaust valve. That residue builds up a lot with time. You need to have your motor looked at by somebody there who is mechanically inclined. It could be as simple as the pcv(positive crankcase valve) being clogged up or being faulty. Cheap fix if so or could be something more..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.