New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

'08 Blue Slate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Blue Slate

As the thread title suggests, I bought a 2008 G35xS. I actually bought the car last fall and since then have been somewhat of a lurker, but now that I think I'm going to actually start doing things to the car, here she is in all her glory. I picked it up at Herb Chambers Infiniti of Boston, where I reside, with 69k miles on it. I've since put on another 10k, and the odometer stands at 79,2XX. Aside from a dinged rear right mudflap and a small hole in the drivers seat (repaired, but still obvious) the car is in fantastic shape, inside and out. So far, all I've done are tint the windows (30% all around) and debadge the rear "Infiniti" logo because 2 letters were missing.

Initial impressions
Fast, smooth, powerful. Great highway car. Sips a lot of gas, but the 20-gallon tank makes it feel like I'm not. Not quite as refined as its Bavarian counterparts (I come from BMW-land) but still a pleasure to drive. Transmission is a little choppy, especially when cold or in reverse. On the interior, too many damn buttons, and the perforated "leather" is horrendously fake. On the exterior, fantastic looking booty and taillights, too much chrome on the grille

Plans
- Eibach springs because the wheel gap is so damn huge and I don't feel like dropping a grand on coilovers for a 7 year old car
- Wheel bezel peeling - I'll probably just peel the rest off and wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl
- Grounding kits. I need some advice - since Black Betty is no longer around, what's the best out there? Stillen's sure has a lot of wires, and I'm not the best with electrical stuff
- Would LOVE to find some 19" staggered '08-'10 G37S coupe wheels for cheap. Time to start scrounging salvage yards...
- ...and after I do I'll wrap some new Michelin SS's on them
- Toying with front lip spoiler idea and vinyl wrapping the grille

Current Issues
- Squeaky rear right brake assembly. I suspect it's due to aftermarket rotors and pads, since there's plenty of life left in both. Any ideas? Metallic squeaking when tires are rolling, gets louder when brakes applied. This wasn't the case when I bought the car
- Windshield washer sprayer nozzles need replacing. Left side doesn't work, right side barely works and sprays onto roof. Dealer wanted $230 so I thought I'd check here first

Thoughts, opinions, help welcome .

Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Looking good, I'd upgrade to the G37s bbk and add a set of 20's with a staggered setup. 19's on a mild drop may not get rid of the wheel gap. I'd also finish debadging the rear except for the mount fuji emblem. Since your car is all wheel drive it sits higher than a rear wheel drive car. There's a guy that did a G37s front end swap and man does it look beautiful. Look into an exhaust and intake to allow it to breath and exhale better. Most of all enjoy the ride. Beautiful sedan by the way.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Looking good, I'd upgrade to the G37s bbk and add a set of 20's with a staggered setup. 19's on a mild drop may not get rid of the wheel gap. I'd also finish debadging the rear except for the mount fuji emblem. Since your car is all wheel drive it sits higher than a rear wheel drive car. There's a guy that did a G37s front end swap and man does it look beautiful. Look into an exhaust and intake to allow it to breath and exhale better. Most of all enjoy the ride. Beautiful sedan by the way.
Thanks, Mr. Brooks! All suggestions I have toyed with. I've by no means made any permanent decisions. Akebono BBK, in my humble opinion, isn't really worth it because there aren't big gains to be had in terms of stopping distance, only in terms of heat dissipation. I don't track my car or drive aggressively so this doesn't make too much sense. As for wheel gap, dropping an inch and upsizing wheels an inch would go a long way, but I don't want to slam it because of (a) northeast winters, and (b) Boston roads suck. Definitely looking at exhaust options, and K&N intake is high on my list. I love the front end swaps, but I'd almost prefer to keep it classic. I don't pretend my car is a G37, although I've seen some awesome work done by people who do go that route. First stops on the list... wheels and grounding kit.