New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Newish G35 owner, Tune-Up and Shocks/Struts/Springs Advice

Old 05-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newish G35 owner, Tune-Up and Shocks/Struts/Springs Advice

Hey All,

My 2003 G35 is about to hit 100,000 miles and I need to do a tune-up as well as change the Shocks/Struts/Springs.

Tune-Up/100,000 mile Maintenance;

What parts do I need for a tune-up? From what I've been reading in this forum I don't need as many parts as I've had to buy for my other cars... R.I.P other cars.

I'm guessing I should also get my timing belt changed? Any other belts and stuff I should get done at the same time? I'm 99% sure the previous owner did not change anything on the car.

Shocks/Struts/Springs;

I live in NYC so the roads are **** and my Shocks/Struts/Springs (not exactly sure which are the correct terms) are done for. What is the best configuration I can get for the car and the environment I am driving in? I don't intend on lowering the car I just want a smoothish ride and durable equipment, especially considering I don't/can't really change my driving style to accommodate the rough terrain of NYC streets.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd do the following depending on your skill set:

Oil/Oil filter
Plugs
Air filter
Cabin filter
Brake fluid
ATF fluid if needed
Power steering fluid
Coolant
Serpentine/AC belt if unknown

Just for tuneup: plugs, air filter, oil/oil fiter, and cabin filter.

Car doesn't have a timing belt it has a chain. Doesn't need to be replaced unless you're in there or something bad happens. I replaced mine two years ago when I went to do the water pump and it skipped some teeth.

A lot of people like the Tokico HP blues. I have those in the front and KYB in the rear.

The following users liked this post:
Muckylogun (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
I'd do the following depending on your skill set:

Oil/Oil filter
Plugs
Air filter
Cabin filter
Brake fluid
ATF fluid if needed
Power steering fluid
Coolant
Serpentine/AC belt if unknown

Just for tuneup: plugs, air filter, oil/oil fiter, and cabin filter.

Car doesn't have a timing belt it has a chain. Doesn't need to be replaced unless you're in there or something bad happens. I replaced mine two years ago when I went to do the water pump and it skipped some teeth.

A lot of people like the Tokico HP blues. I have those in the front and KYB in the rear.
Why KYB's on the back and what kind do you have?.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Basically the 100K mile service is exactly like the 30K & 50K with the addition of plugs! All fluids, all filters and I'd replace the belts too. KYB shocks will give you a new car ride for many years to come and they're less expensive than other shocks available for our G35s. You can buy them from our Marketplace under vendor suspensions, shop around for the best price!
Gary

Old 05-24-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Muckylogun
Why KYB's on the back and what kind do you have?.

Thanks
I couldn't get the Tokico blues for the rear at the time, so I just went with KYB. They're cheaper, but a good product.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Muckylogun
Hey All,

My 2003 G35 is about to hit 100,000 miles and I need to do a tune-up as well as change the Shocks/Struts/Springs.

Tune-Up/100,000 mile Maintenance;

What parts do I need for a tune-up? From what I've been reading in this forum I don't need as many parts as I've had to buy for my other cars... R.I.P other cars.

I'm guessing I should also get my timing belt changed? Any other belts and stuff I should get done at the same time? I'm 99% sure the previous owner did not change anything on the car.

Shocks/Struts/Springs;

I live in NYC so the roads are **** and my Shocks/Struts/Springs (not exactly sure which are the correct terms) are done for. What is the best configuration I can get for the car and the environment I am driving in? I don't intend on lowering the car I just want a smoothish ride and durable equipment, especially considering I don't/can't really change my driving style to accommodate the rough terrain of NYC streets.

Thanks for your help.
OEM shocks are Tokiko Blue's (just painted black with nissan logos).
Get OEM suspension parts either ordered online from a Nissan reseller/dealership, don't go the aftermarket route unless you intend on lowering the car (which you mentioned you didn't).
I bought some aftermarket suspension parts and 1.5 years later one or two pieces have already started to squeak harder than the factory ones did after I bought the car lol...