New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Looking about to buy

Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking about to buy

Hey guys as you can tell from my name I am a nurse so I have a hectic schedule. I have been eyeing a g35 coupe 2005 with less than 100k miles.
I'm 26 and engaged and sold my cars and got a Corolla. I realized that's just not me so I need something with a little more joy going to work and school.
I currently go to school as well and end goal is to be a doctor.
I don't plan on selling the car once I purchase it.
When I had my 5 series E60 body I only bought oem parts as I intend to do so with this car...
However I need something with a little deeper and louder sound. I don't want to get a full exhaust system. Just a muffler but ofcourse not a Chinese pos.
Tints are a must
And possibly a slight 1 inch drop.
Now here's the thing. Since I work so much I haven't even seen the car in person or driven a G35.
What do you guys recommend as far as this buy? It's a nice light blue color (sorry I don't know the real Infiniti color names) and it has nav, seat warmers and leather interior (white)

So I would appreciate some feedback about the car, pros and cons
And after purchasing some help about the muffler.

Thanks guys
-Eric

Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Hey Eric welcome! One of the things we ask new members to do is read through the forum to get a feel for what the G is before you start your questions. This is the premiere database for all things G on the internet and literally everything you will want to know will be here somewhere. The search function on the site leaves a lot to be desired so for specific questions you have Google might be a better tool. Start there with "g35driver: mild drop for coupe" as a format for searching what you are looking into.

Once you've done some work then start filling in the blanks with questions for us. The stickied threads at the top of each sub-forum are great informational threads that would be a good place for you to start. It's not that we don't want to help, we do, but you need to do some work on your own as well. Good luck with your purchase and we're glad you're here.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Hey Eric welcome! One of the things we ask new members to do is read through the forum to get a feel for what the G is before you start your questions. This is the premiere database for all things G on the internet and literally everything you will want to know will be here somewhere. The search function on the site leaves a lot to be desired so for specific questions you have Google might be a better tool. Start there with "g35driver: mild drop for coupe" as a format for searching what you are looking into.

Once you've done some work then start filling in the blanks with questions for us. The stickied threads at the top of each sub-forum are great informational threads that would be a good place for you to start. It's not that we don't want to help, we do, but you need to do some work on your own as well. Good luck with your purchase and we're glad you're here.

I'm at the dealership now and trying to think....
On average how much would it cost to:
Change the clutch
Replace the engine seals
And fix any other problems that this car is known for or happens

Old 10-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Here's the thing: Infiniti made more than one car in 2005. In fact, they made multiple cars in multiple years.

You currently have a car.

For myself, I wouldn't think of buying before I do my research. Would you approach an important exam without studying? Of course not.

Don't rush into this. Do the background work so you are confident you know what you are doing, and only then should you start shopping. By then you should have identified a reliable mechanic knowledgable in Infinitis and their quirks to do a pre-purchase inspection. Otherwise, you may find that the "answer" you chose was the wrong one and will have failed the test and be stuck with a major fail.

There will be Infinitis on the lots and in the classifieds when you are ready to pass the test.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Here's the thing: Infiniti made more than one car in 2005. In fact, they made multiple cars in multiple years.

You currently have a car.

For myself, I wouldn't think of buying before I do my research. Would you approach an important exam without studying? Of course not.

Don't rush into this. Do the background work so you are confident you know what you are doing, and only then should you start shopping. By then you should have identified a reliable mechanic knowledgable in Infinitis and their quirks to do a pre-purchase inspection. Otherwise, you may find that the "answer" you chose was the wrong one and will have failed the test and be stuck with a major fail.

There will be Infinitis on the lots and in the classifieds when you are ready to pass the test.
The car has gone through inspection. The only thing it needs that the mechanic recommended is to change the shocks.
I trust the dealer I am getting it from because my dad is the manager.
So I am not too worried if the car has current problems.
I'm just asking for routine things and prices and what to expect in the future.
The only thing I've come across is changing the seals after 100k miles and the shocks at 100k miles but that would be something to expect.
As far as driving it went it feels very jerky especially at a downshift I try to rev match myself but it feels like it shoots higher than I intend it to.
I have been spending time on the forum, a lot of time actually since I found it

Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 AM

What are these seals you speak of? Replacing shocks at 100K is a good idea, there will be those that say if it 'ain't broke don't fix it, but I say bye bye old shocks at that point. Spark plugs are rated for 100K as well but I replace mine every 60-70K just to be safe. And unless you have the maintenance records for her if it were me I'd address all repair and maintenance items: brake pads, belts, hoses, all fluids, bulbs, compression rods, lower control arms, filters, wheel hubs/bearings etc. People these days think that because they have $5000 to spend they can buy a 100K mile G for that amount and they're done. Insurance, gas and R&M all must be in the initial budget or you're screwed if something major goes wrong.

Sounds like you've done some homework but that's just the beginning of your journey. Keep reading, absorbing and evaluating everything you can about our cars. They are an incredible bargain these days given you find the right ride and can be a joy to own. Doesn't hurt your pops is a big shot at the dealer that always helps!

Old 10-06-2016, 05:00 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
The difficulty in smooth shifting may be the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal height is adjustable and most tend to have a long travel and can be a learning curve. There is an adjustment procedure you can find on here but be careful because it also controls the free play and engagement. With a little work you can find a happy medium.

Keep reading, keep learning and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:07 AM
What are these seals you speak of? Replacing shocks at 100K is a good idea, there will be those that say if it 'ain't broke don't fix it, but I say bye bye old shocks at that point. Spark plugs are rated for 100K as well but I replace mine every 60-70K just to be safe. And unless you have the maintenance records for her if it were me I'd address all repair and maintenance items: brake pads, belts, hoses, all fluids, bulbs, compression rods, lower control arms, filters, wheel hubs/bearings etc. People these days think that because they have $5000 to spend they can buy a 100K mile G for that amount and they're done. Insurance, gas and R&M all must be in the initial budget or you're screwed if something major goes wrong.

Sounds like you've done some homework but that's just the beginning of your journey. Keep reading, absorbing and evaluating everything you can about our cars. They are an incredible bargain these days given you find the right ride and can be a joy to own. Doesn't hurt your pops is a big shot at the dealer that always helps!
Where did you see a 100k mile g for that much?
I'm paying about 10.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by EPiK
The difficulty in smooth shifting may be the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal height is adjustable and most tend to have a long travel and can be a learning curve. There is an adjustment procedure you can find on here but be careful because it also controls the free play and engagement. With a little work you can find a happy medium.

Keep reading, keep learning and enjoy the ride.
So pretty much just get it and put some time in driving it and I'll get used to it? 😊
Thanks EPiK

Old 10-06-2016, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheNurse
Where did you see a 100k mile g for that much?
I'm paying about 10.
All over the US man. Here's just a sample, 50 under $4500 on the first page alone. Hell my baby is for sale in Texas for $7500 and she's very well known on Driver and has over $12K in mods on her. If you're looking at paying $10K for an 03-06 G with 100K or more miles you're doing it wrong.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rchSource=SORT

Old 10-06-2016, 10:05 PM
All over the US man. Here's just a sample, 50 under $4500 on the first page alone. Hell my baby is for sale in Texas for $7500 and she's very well known on Driver and has over $12K in mods on her. If you're looking at paying $10K for an 03-06 G with 100K or more miles you're doing it wrong.

All of these are base and well over 100k miles I didn't look too see if it's a manual transmission.
Mine has 85k miles, fully loaded, manual transmission and all California car so 100% no rust. It's a very clean car, no body work done to it and nothing has been touched on the car

Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 PM

You're selling your G???

Old 10-07-2016, 05:59 AM

Yep, bought a mint 06 GTO with 27K miles on it at the time last year and it's such a great daily the G's going to a new home. Don't need 2 cars sitting around and I never drive the G any more.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:38 AM
so I officially bought the car 😊 Hopefully I get to pick it up tomorrow. After purchase my dad sent it to the mechanic to get the window motor replaced because it was giving issues. My mind is exploding what to do when I pick up the car....
I want to do everything in 1 day and drop all the money, but I also want to progressively move slow on it to enjoy it. I'm going to need a new mechanic tool box since I lost mine after I totaled my last baby in 2010

I'll be posting pictures when I pick her up

Old 10-14-2016, 01:36 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. Go buy a notebook so you can organize all your thoughts and goals for the car, and prioritize. Also buy a folder for all your records for maintenance and modifications.

I always have ideas flowing for new things I want to do on my projects, if I didn't write them down I'd forget half of them.

If the clutch throw is too long for you, the height of the pedal is adjustable. There is a how-to vid on youtube. Mine sits about even in height with the brake pedal now and engages/disengages perfectly. Very easy to do.

Have fun with your new G

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (10-14-2016)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking about to buy