New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Best year G to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best year G to buy?

Alright so Im very new to all of this and I'm having trouble with deciding on which year G to buy. Iv'e narrowed it down between the 04 and the 06. Although I do like navigation and more hp with the 06, Ive heard that the Revups are a bunch more work to manage over the earlier years. Im leaning towards the 04 since I do want a fun car yet reliable to daily. And they are like 100lbs lighter with less hp. Any advice? This will also be my first car

Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by T-R3KS
Alright so Im very new to all of this and I'm having trouble with deciding on which year G to buy. Iv'e narrowed it down between the 04 and the 06. Although I do like navigation and more hp with the 06, Ive heard that the Revups are a bunch more work to manage over the earlier years. Im leaning towards the 04 since I do want a fun car yet reliable to daily. And they are like 100lbs lighter with less hp. Any advice? This will also be my first car
A G35 isn't really the best first car candidate but if I had to choose I'd go with an 03-04 mainly because the DE non-revup suffered less from oil consumption. If you're going with a manual, the 03-05 transmissions were very notchy with soft synchros. Whatever you buy you should take it to an Infiniti dealer (not an independant since they don't have access to any warranty/service records) for an inspection to see if any oil consumption issues or complaints were ever done/required on a car.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
A G35 isn't really the best first car candidate but if I had to choose I'd go with an 03-04 mainly because the DE non-revup suffered less from oil consumption. If you're going with a manual, the 03-05 transmissions were very notchy with soft synchros. Whatever you buy you should take it to an Infiniti dealer (not an independant since they don't have access to any warranty/service records) for an inspection to see if any oil consumption issues or complaints were ever done/required on a car.
I hear ya man and thank you for the feedback! I am looking to get a manual and I think changing the oil every 2-3k miles in the 06+ wouldnt be too much to sacrifice over loosing a tranny lol Also I heard that putting high milage oil tends to help with oil consumption but Im not too sure :P Anyways thank you again for the feedback!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
04 - better spoiler if you want a spoiler, brembos available, less chance of oil consumption, white on black color combo available (extremely rare)

06 - better headlights, sport package available (better bumper/side skirts), slight interior upgrade, rays wheels available.

The difference in power does not actually exist; it was Infiniti taking advantage of new guidelines on measuring HP. No stats on actual speed (0-60, quarter mile, etc) changed throughout the coupe production. If you really wanna believe the numbers tho, the revup actually lost 10 ft/lbs of torque vs the de, and TQ is a much more important number than HP.

The following users liked this post:
Tyke420 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
^ well put, this is exactly what you want to hear OP... My 05 rev-up burns oil but not as bad as some others do. It would be a gamble in buying a rev up in my opinion. Keep it safe with what was said buy Sir Scraggle...

Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
04 - better spoiler if you want a spoiler, brembos available, less chance of oil consumption, white on black color combo available (extremely rare)

06 - better headlights, sport package available (better bumper/side skirts), slight interior upgrade, rays wheels available.

The difference in power does not actually exist; it was Infiniti taking advantage of new guidelines on measuring HP. No stats on actual speed (0-60, quarter mile, etc) changed throughout the coupe production. If you really wanna believe the numbers tho, the revup actually lost 10 ft/lbs of torque vs the de, and TQ is a much more important number than HP.
That is true I did hear that the rev ups had about 260lbs of tourque compared to 270lbs with the 03'-04'. Its a hard choice for me but if they are making the same power, then I belive the 04 would be a better choice since it does way a bit less and it comes equiped with Brembo's and are on average about $1,200 cheaper than 06+. I am looking to throw on maybe a Stillen air filter a little down the road and with the newer models more likely having oil issues, I dont think pushing any extra power into it would help :/ Also thinking that the reliability may be better on 04 in general but Im not quite sure lol

Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Tyke420
^ well put, this is exactly what you want to hear OP... My 05 rev-up burns oil but not as bad as some others do. It would be a gamble in buying a rev up in my opinion. Keep it safe with what was said buy Sir Scraggle...
Yea I hear ya... My budget is 10k and think to stay safe, Id need to pick one up with good milage which may turn out to be over 10k :P I found a couple 04s with just under 100k miles for like 7.5,8,9k. Thinking Im going to go with 04 👌🏽 Thank you for your feedback!

Old 03-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
The only thing that sucks about the 04 is the headlights get REALLY​ yellow looking and you can't restore the city light side strip which looks like ****. You can find great deals on 06 lights sometimes tho, or if you are willing to open the 04 lights up you can tint the side strip a little to hide the yellow. The orange dot blinker tho..Pretty awful. That's why most people like the 06 lights.

Another thing is the 04 front bumper is the only thing on any G35 that is starting to look a bit dated, however, if you get an OEM replica lip, it fixes that and looks 100% better.

I personally like the 04 interior better (I'm probably the only one), except that the door handle pulls (aluminum colored piece) gets scratched up literally just by touching them. My advice here would be to buy new ones (dealers on eBay) and heavily clear coat them to protect the finish before you install them.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
The only thing that sucks about the 04 is the headlights get REALLY​ yellow looking and you can't restore the city light side strip which looks like ****. You can find great deals on 06 lights sometimes tho, or if you are willing to open the 04 lights up you can tint the side strip a little to hide the yellow. The orange dot blinker tho..Pretty awful. That's why most people like the 06 lights.

Another thing is the 04 front bumper is the only thing on any G35 that is starting to look a bit dated, however, if you get an OEM replica lip, it fixes that and looks 100% better.

I personally like the 04 interior better (I'm probably the only one), except that the door handle pulls (aluminum colored piece) gets scratched up literally just by touching them. My advice here would be to buy new ones (dealers on eBay) and heavily clear coat them to protect the finish before you install them.
yea the comsmetics on the inside Im not too worry about as I do plan to upgrade most of the parts I see fall apart/scratch. Dash, door pulls as you mentioned, seats, ect. I found some carbon fiber interior peice that I think I'm going to try out as well👌🏽 Thanks for the tip!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.