G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   Easy ECU reset is a HOAX!!! (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/9379-easy-ecu-reset-hoax.html)

zimbo 09-06-2003 08:19 AM

Easy ECU reset is a HOAX!!!

Or at least it seems that way. I cannot get it to work no matter how many times I try it. I have a 2003.5 5AT Sedan with premium, sport, and aero packages.

Here's EXACTLY what I am doing--with no luck after 50 attempts:

1. Open driver side door of car, sit in drivers seat, shut door. Feet not on any pedals.

2. Insert key into ignition. Seat automatically adjusts to the last position it was in.

3. Turn key clockwise two positions. First position does not light up dash; second position lights up dash without starting car. The fasten seatbelt, brake, battery, oil, and service engine lights all come on, but car is not started. Car immediately begins to beep. Car beeps four times or until I depress gas pedal.

4. I wait exactly 3 seconds from the time I see the dash lights. By my reckoning, three seconds has elapsed prior to the sound of the 4th beep.

5. After the three seconds, I fully depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times in just under 5 seconds.

6. After releasing the pedal after the 5th depression, I wait 7 seconds.

7. After 7 seconds I depress the acceleration pedal and hold approximately 10 seconds anticipating the service enginge (MIL) to begin blinking.

Unfortunately, the MIL does NOT EVER BLINK, even if I hold the pedal down indefinitely.

What am I doing wrong?

--Steve

juiceman 09-06-2003 09:37 AM

Re: Easy ECU reset is a HOAX!!!

worked for me on the first try

03.5 sedan, premium

used mississippi method

Have a healthy day!
93 J30t, Black on Black
03.5 G35, Black on Black

nismo4090 09-06-2003 12:27 PM

yea i cant get it to work either. And i used a watch

Back in Black

Msedanman 09-06-2003 03:43 PM

Zimbo, A lot of us put a lot of work into finding this stuff out.
I'm glad you closed with "What am I doing wrong".
The ECU reset is no HOAX!

Here is a link to ECU RESETS. Read it carefully and completely. It explains that timing is most important. Use a digital watch to help you.
You'll notice 3 other categories in the reset thread (scroll down to <font color=red>Merlin's</font color=red> post). They are:
1/ Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning.
2/ Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
3/ Idle Air Volume Learning.

If any of these tests are not to specifications, it will necessitate you putting the ECU thru these 'Learning modes'.
It's possible you're having trouble because one of these parameters is not correct.
Go thru each one individually b4 doing the reset procedure. Then go to the next 'Learning mode'.
I'm quite sure one of these is out of spec and if you go thru this carefully you will succeed.
Here's what I do now without a clock.
1/ Sit in the car, close the door.
2/ Key in ignition -- turn to on and immediately count one, two, three. Not fast no slow.
3/ Fully depress the gas pedal and release quickly 5 times in under 5 seconds. This step is where I made the most mistakes
4/ Now count carefully to 7- not fast not slow. (use the watch)
5/ Push down the gas pedal again and hold it there. The MIL should blink after about 10 seconds.
6/ Release the gas pedal again and plant it once more on the floor for at least 10 seconds to reset the ECU.

From what you've written, Your procedure is sound. So either one of the other parameters is not correct and needs to 'Learn', or your timing is not right.
If all else fails, use the Battery disconnect procedure (24 hrs)
Good luck. Keep trying-- both of these methods work..........

https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix...1055534520.jpg<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Rumble 09-06-2003 03:54 PM

I got it on my first try as well...some people just have that magic touch I guess. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix...1058832847.jpg
It's still a G thang!!

alderran 09-06-2003 04:07 PM

No worky here and that sucks

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

GurgenPB 09-06-2003 09:50 PM

let me help you out guys.

Here is the trick, and the trouble lies in the "5 times in 5 secs" routine.

What the directions should really say is press the gas pedal fully to the floor 1 time per second 5 times (totalling 5 seconds). The trick is NOT to finish your 5 depressions inside the 5 second mark, but for each depression to happen 1 time per second.

You have to empathise with the computer. Here is how it thinks for the first 15 seconds after you trun on the ignition: "I will go into diag mode if on the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th seconds I detect a full gas pedal depression and on the 15th second the gas pedal is depressed and held in until the 25th second, at which point I will acknoledge the diag mode with the CES light.

I have just described the "wait 3 seconds, press gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, wait 7 seconds, press pedal for 10 seconds. FOLLOWING THIS, meaning after you see the CES light begin blinking, release the pedal and hold it in for 10 seconds, until the CES light blinks FASTER, at which point the ECU memory bank is flashed to edfault (optimal values).

Hope it helps, tell me if it does

Gurgen

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan Aero/Sport
<font color=blue>TechoSquare ECU</font color=blue>
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

JaMbEe 09-08-2003 01:32 AM

Worked for me! Wam BAM

2003 G35 Black on Black w/ Sport Tuned & Sunroof

JaMbEe~

jcg35c 09-08-2003 03:42 AM

Hmm... I got it work at first try with the precedure.

G35C 6MT
JC

Msedanman 09-08-2003 04:00 AM

gurgenpb, thanks for clarifying the 5 pumps in 5 seconds routine for us. That may be where some have had diff b4.
Do you mind sharing with us your source of info?
Thanks again.... http://www.fadzter.com/smilies/beerchug.gif

https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix...1055534520.jpg<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

GurgenPB 09-08-2003 04:40 AM

No particular source. Came up with it myslef after numerous failures.

Just an educated guess by empathising with a computer. Definitely works. The #1 reason for failure is pumping 5 times too fast.

Gurgen

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan Aero/Sport
<font color=blue>TechoSquare ECU</font color=blue>
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

chako410 09-08-2003 05:31 AM

OMG..i just did it! it took me forever to get it right! .. as soon as i reset the ECU..i took my car for a spin..i felt it responsed much quicker and faster! i felt it like its reborn again! Guys is it just my psychological playing with me or did u guys feel the same thing as i felt it?

03, twilight blue (not a special color anymore!! that sucks!!) prem, HID, too bad didnt get sports suspension and navi !!!

cato 09-08-2003 08:51 AM

I have been able to do the easy ECU reset several times. The last time,
after the Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox install, it took me about 5-7 tries to
get it right. But every time I do it, the transmission 5AT shifts quicker
and notice better performance, but of course last time the Stillen
was responsible for a bit of the performance gain.

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, Graphite Leather,
splashguards, GG/DB red 10 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox

bosssho 09-08-2003 09:54 PM

lol...Just take 30 seconds to:

1. Open your hood
2. take a ratchet and socket and disconnect the negative terminal
3. shut the hood and call it a night
4. repeat steps again and drive away with a reset ECU! :-)

John
03.5 G35 14.8 @ 93
02 Maxima SE 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

rpatelrr 09-08-2003 11:54 PM

gsedanman the way you explain it works. I thing I did notice is by the time you count to 3 and final press of the gas pedal the airbag light should go off at the same exact time you release te fifth and final gas pedal press.

zimbo 09-09-2003 07:31 AM

OK, guys. I was able to reproduce the steps correctly. Now the only question is whether this does the same thing as disconnecting the battery overnight. I have the service manual and it's not clear.

The big downside to the battery disconnect is that it resets your trip odometerrs, makes your clock time wrong, and wipes out your seat memory.

--Steve

marvinclt 09-09-2003 12:14 PM

Sorry for being a noob...but when should the ECU be reset? My car is only 4 mo. old and has 2500miles.

SixFive 09-09-2003 12:43 PM

reset every 2 weeks is my rule

marvinclt 09-09-2003 04:57 PM

OK....Why is it necessary every 2 weeks...what happends to the ECU that require it to be reset.

Is it driver dependent that the ECU adjusts to driving conditions or habits?

Last question, is this for all cars (i.e. Acura TL/RL)

TIA

Msedanman 09-09-2003 08:41 PM

Zimbo- <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

OK, guys. I was able to reproduce the steps correctly. Now the only question is whether this does the same thing as disconnecting the battery overnight. I have the service manual and it's not clear.

The big downside to the battery disconnect is that it resets your trip odometerrs, makes your clock time wrong, and wipes out your seat memory.

--Steve

<hr></blockquote>

I'm glad you finally sorted out the procedure. As I said the timing is all important.
As to whether the 'Easy Reset' or the 'Battery Disconnect' do the same thing- well that would be hard to prove but my guess is that it does, except as you pointed out- with the battery disc., certain settings are lost including trip odometers, clock, seat memory, radio presets, and if you have navi, you lose mpg average and I believe time and distance board is wiped clean.
My seat of the pants tells me that they do the same thing, so now all I do is the Easy one. http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/cheers.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

rpatelrr ()
09/08/03 11:54 PM

gsedanman the way you explain it works. I thing I did notice is by the time you count to 3 and final press of the gas pedal the airbag light should go off at the same exact time you release te fifth and final gas pedal press

<hr></blockquote>

You seem to have found your own timing method. That's great bro and I'm glad you succeeded. Enjoy.http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

marvinclt (Newbie)
09/09/03 12:14 PM

Sorry for being a noob...but when should the ECU be reset? My car is only 4 mo. old and has 2500miles.

<hr></blockquote>

I do mine about every 2 to 4 weeks, but that depends on how you drive since the ECU learns your driving characteristics---- more spirited driving = less need to reset often. Less spirited = more need to reset often.
Try resetting now and notice the difference. Tell us what you think. Then wait a few weeks or until you feel the shifting getting a little 'soft', then reset again. Good luck and enjoy http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/bigsmile2.gif