Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Tell me about your clutch/flywheel combo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about your clutch/flywheel combo.

Alright guys, I have been digging around the forums for info on clutches and flywheels and have found a ton of info. The only problem is it’s all over the place and often contradictory. I'm creating this thread to set the story straight once and for all -- and all in one place…

Tell me what you like and don't like about your aftermarket clutch/flywheel combos.

- What brands are the clutch and flywheel?
- Is the flywheel noisy? (seems to be the big question)
- How bad is the loss of torque off the line?
- Does it engine rev too fast?
- Was shifting affected?
- How does the new pedal feel?
- How many miles are on your clutch/flywheel?
- How much did you pay?
- Where did you buy?
- Was it hard to break in?

Add whatever you like and let’s see if we can get a good reference thread created on this topic! Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Brand?- RPS CYN-R-G Flywheel and RPS Sport Street Clutch (disk)
Noisy?- Hardly noticable, Slight chatter if at idle, with windows down, in a confined area(aka garage)
Loss of Torque?- None whatsoever
Revability?- Perfect and not too fast at all.
Shifting?- Shifting is smoother thann stock, and downshifting in the upper rpms is excellent.
Pedal feel? Firmer than stock, however after about a week, you forget about it and dont notice.
Miles?- 2,500 so far
Price?- around 800bucks for the combo
Buy?- Z1motorsport
Break in?- as simple as it was for the stock clutch flywheel, bout 200 miles of babying and you are good to go

Over all, I am very happy with this package and it is very easy to drive on the street. Almost as easy as the stock package is. Shifting is much improved and I would recommend this set-up. I would also recommend getting a SS line if you are in hot climate with stop and go traffic (atlanta), because the pedal can get mushy without adequate cooling

Old 08-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Brand?- UR Flywheel and JWT Clutch
I wanted the Centerforce clutch but they were out of stock and could not make one in the 24 hours I had before my new tranny went in.
Noisy? Only at idle with the A/C on high and in high gear @ low speed. If I turn off or down the A/C there is no chatter at idle.
Loss of Torque? None but I have a Stillen SC so torque is not an issue.
Revability? Awesome
Shifting?- Shifting is smoother thann stock, and downshifting in the upper rpms is excellent.
Pedal feel? Softer than stock (trait of the JWT clutch)
Miles? About 4-5k
Price? $400 for the flywheel about the same for the clutch.
Buy? Flywheel was from another member (still new), clutch direct from JWT because I needed it the next day.
Break in? I did 500 miles of city driving being very nice to it.

Great combo but I still wish I could have gotten the CF clutch.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brand?- JWT Flywheel and JWT Clutch
Noisy? some chatter below 2200 RPM
Loss of Torque? err i couldnt really feel any difference
Revability? not too crazy. just a bit faster than stock
Shifting?- cleaner and easier. rev matching is a breeze
Pedal feel? Softer than stock...less of a mushy feel. more smooth and mechanical
Miles? About 4-5k
Price? totally forgot
Buy? got it from street image
Break in? 500 easy miles

if i could do it again i wouldve gotten the ur flywheel, but it wouldve taken too long to get. overall i love it! you get used to the noise, its really not THAT bad.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Great combo but I still wish I could have gotten the CF clutch.
Why did you want the Centerforce clutch so bad?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting thread?

Stupid question, but I need to know: when did you guys know to change your clutch? and was it also necessary to change your clutch too?

In the evenings, when I head home and face the 1 hour commute, my clutch is starting to get really "mushy." And "snappy." The clutch begins to snap back when I release it. She's okay in the mornings, but after driving her for a long period, the pattern returns. I suspect I need a new clutch too so this thread is informative.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by Gammawolf
Interesting thread?

Stupid question, but I need to know: when did you guys know to change your clutch? and was it also necessary to change your clutch too?

In the evenings, when I head home and face the 1 hour commute, my clutch is starting to get really "mushy." And "snappy." The clutch begins to snap back when I release it. She's okay in the mornings, but after driving her for a long period, the pattern returns. I suspect I need a new clutch too so this thread is informative.

The easiest way to tell is when it starts to slip. I was getting a new tranny under warranty and I had ~45k so it was a good idea to do it. I was not having any signs of problems at the time.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by npteske
Why did you want the Centerforce clutch so bad?
I have always used centerforce dual friction clutches with my turbo and nitrous cars with great results. My last one was still going strong after 70k miles of nitrous on my accord. The have a few patented things that make them one of the best in the industry. I am friends with the owner's son and he showed me side-by-side the differences. I went ahead and got one anyway which is sitting in my garage. I may have to sell it because I am having some money issues right now but I was hoping to keep it for next time.

They just put one in Mark's (twinsnails) coupe and it's as easy to drive as stock but has no problem holding over 600whp.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
I may have to sell it because I am having some money issues right now but I was hoping to keep it for next time.
I might be interested in buying your CF clutch (if it ends up being for sale of course), but is your model possibly overkill for my relatively stock G?

Old 08-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Grocery getter

It would be overkill but a great clutch none the less. If I decide to sell it I'll let you know. I would let it go for ~$450 plus shipping obo. It retails for a few hundred more but since I know the owner of UMS I got a good deal on it. I paid ~$550 with tax but have seen them for ~$470 online.

Send me a PM if you are interested in it.

Last edited by ttrank; 08-26-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am swapping my rps 6 puck clutch setup for a stock twin turbo 300z clutch setup. The rps flywheel was designed to mate up to the stock 300z clutch. The clamping force is 900 kg compared to stock oem 1000k on the 009 transmissions. So with the new pedal assembly and clutch it will be more an easier drive for others who take my car now that is become a daily shared driver. FYI 03 stock clutch had 650-750 kg but the pedal was what made it feel so stiff