Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

REVIEW: Stillen Duals and Crawfordz Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REVIEW: Stillen Duals and Crawfordz Cats

Well guys,

I installed the Crawfordz cats on my 04' 6MT this Saturday and would like to make a few comments....

First, I am not totally in love with the ghetto exhaust clamp "brace" technigue employed by Crawfordz to reinstall the exhaust brace. It consists of an exhaust clamp with a piece of metal that kind of elongates the brace so it can be reinstalled. The exhaust had about as much movement WITHOUT the brace as it did with it on.....what's it even there for?

Second, I think Crawfordz needs to include NUTS with it's new BOLTS that they send ya. I have an aftermarket exhaust (Stillen) and i know the stock stuff was all studs, but the Stillen isn't. Thank God that I was at the Infiniti shop that my brother works at, and he had enough nuts to install these cats.

Third, the thing smoked after the cats warmed up. That's totally normal, I know. And it smelled, I probably got cancer from the noxious fumes, but oh well.

Fourth, and don't get me wrong, but I took the car on a 70 mile "break in" drive, I was pleased with the sound. I don't "think" the exhaust got any louder, but there is definately more "drone". Not the "bad drone" but"drone". I am used to this having modified a few Mustangs in the past with similar exhaust mods, so it's not really that big of a deal. It seems to really resonate about 4000 during spirited driving.

Fifth, my butt-o-meter isn't fine tuned to feel 5rwhp, so I really didn't feel any gains per se with the mod. Maybe the ECU is "learning still", and maybe I got gains, but just can't feel them? Who knows.

The bottom line is that I am not really impressed. Sad but true.

Have to save for a tune, and maybe the numbers will wake the car up? Who knows. I am just not feeling it right now.

Don

Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM
G&Z
i have the fuji cat back and stillen cai, just got the c cats put on as well. about a week ago. i also was not impressed with the exhaust clamp jimmy rig thing. so i got some heat wrap and welded some junk here and there. before i had just a little rattling sound but its gone now. i took some before and after videos and will post them soon. i think there is definitely a noticable sound difference and as far as power i have never felt this much gain from any other na mod ever. it took a while for the ecu to learn i agree but after it was more power than expected. i would recommend this mod to anyone looking for that extra kick out of a bolt on na mod.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 PM
sorry to hear your not that impressed. I personally wont deal with cats and headers..seem like a waste to me..atleast at this particular time

Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Well after driving the car for about 200 miles, I seem to feel a bit more power. Slightly easier revving, and the sound is wicked. Its just been bone cold up here for the last few days and black ice all over the place. I am afraid to really let it rip.....but I think there is some more power than when I first installed them.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamond G35
Well after driving the car for about 200 miles, I seem to feel a bit more power. Slightly easier revving, and the sound is wicked. Its just been bone cold up here for the last few days and black ice all over the place. I am afraid to really let it rip.....but I think there is some more power than when I first installed them.
I wanted to go with the Stillen Exhaust set-up but wanted to go with Random Tech High Flow cats. Do you know any member that has this same set-up? I'd like to get some feedback like you did with the Crawford Cats.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:30 AM
THE BATMOBILE
hey good to see the install went ok........its ok that you dont feel anything now.......if your really modding then cut the bs and get a turbo, but if not jst get the basic mods and at the end of reflash

Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Good to see another person with the Crawford/Stillen set-up. I've received many compliments for the sound and I do enjoy the sound (altho a bit loud at times). The power increase is marginal but is slightly noticable from time to time.

However, I would not recommend them to anyone. The installation was a PITA.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Rphillips6487
sorry to hear your not that impressed. I personally wont deal with cats and headers..seem like a waste to me..atleast at this particular time
+ 1 as well

Old 02-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Yea, REALLY having buyer's remorse now....

Just heard that the 2008 G35 is going to have a "tamer" version of the VQ37DE TT that is going into the new Nissan Skyline thing that's due out next year.

Looks like I'm done modding, and starting to save. Twin Turbo? Turn up the boost FREE MOD and lay the smack down on all prior G35 models.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamond G35
Well guys,

I installed the Crawfordz cats on my 04' 6MT this Saturday and would like to make a few comments....

First, I am not totally in love with the ghetto exhaust clamp "brace" technigue employed by Crawfordz to reinstall the exhaust brace. It consists of an exhaust clamp with a piece of metal that kind of elongates the brace so it can be reinstalled. The exhaust had about as much movement WITHOUT the brace as it did with it on.....what's it even there for?

Second, I think Crawfordz needs to include NUTS with it's new BOLTS that they send ya. I have an aftermarket exhaust (Stillen) and i know the stock stuff was all studs, but the Stillen isn't. Thank God that I was at the Infiniti shop that my brother works at, and he had enough nuts to install these cats.

Third, the thing smoked after the cats warmed up. That's totally normal, I know. And it smelled, I probably got cancer from the noxious fumes, but oh well.

Fourth, and don't get me wrong, but I took the car on a 70 mile "break in" drive, I was pleased with the sound. I don't "think" the exhaust got any louder, but there is definately more "drone". Not the "bad drone" but"drone". I am used to this having modified a few Mustangs in the past with similar exhaust mods, so it's not really that big of a deal. It seems to really resonate about 4000 during spirited driving.

Fifth, my butt-o-meter isn't fine tuned to feel 5rwhp, so I really didn't feel any gains per se with the mod. Maybe the ECU is "learning still", and maybe I got gains, but just can't feel them? Who knows.

The bottom line is that I am not really impressed. Sad but true.

Have to save for a tune, and maybe the numbers will wake the car up? Who knows. I am just not feeling it right now.

Don
Sounds like you just want to complain.

Maybe you should finish up your bolt ons and get a tune.. then you'll be bookin it pretty well.

maybe then your butt-o-meter will feel something, you just haven't spent enough money yet.

I got more gains out of my intake/plenum/HFC than i did headers and exhaust mods.

so do it all, with lightened or UD pullies and do a techno flash or unichip... then you'll have some pretty nice speed

ya noob

Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
And another thing, how the hell can you complain about any kind of drone with the stillen... especially if you've own mustangs.

I've used the injen and the stillen and stock. theres no drone on the stillen. And i'm using test pipes.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
sorry

Been wondering for a while, but with performance exhaust, namely cats/test pipes, does that mess anything up with the o2 sensors? Do you need to reprogram anything? Sorry for the newb question and hijacking the thread.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
And another thing, how the hell can you complain about any kind of drone with the stillen... especially if you've own mustangs.

I've used the injen and the stillen and stock. theres no drone on the stillen. And i'm using test pipes.

Oh man, I love this......

No I don't want to just complain......oh yea and by the way.....I have had Mustangs with TWICE as much power as your car....so are you a NOOB?

I didn't say it was bad drone, just "drone". Read the post. Or at least try to....

Test pipes huh? I have heard MORE bad reviews about Stillen with Test Pipes than ANY OTHER exhaust combo put TOGETHER.

So take your *** back down to South Florida, you have no conception of reality....

Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
Sounds like you just want to complain.

Maybe you should finish up your bolt ons and get a tune.. then you'll be bookin it pretty well.

maybe then your butt-o-meter will feel something, you just haven't spent enough money yet.

I got more gains out of my intake/plenum/HFC than i did headers and exhaust mods.

so do it all, with lightened or UD pullies and do a techno flash or unichip... then you'll have some pretty nice speed

ya noob

dood... relax. whats your problem? he didnt start any **** w/ you.

are you on edge because you still havnt produced the 300whp NA dyno slips yet?

OH SNAP!! lol... here we go!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Hahahahahahahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Stillen Duals and Crawfordz Cats