Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

NISMO Clutch W/ OEM Flywheel - installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NISMO Clutch W/ OEM Flywheel - installed

Installed: NISMO Clutch (disc & pressure plate), NISMO Roller-Bearing Pilot Bushing, SGP SS Clutch Line, OEM Release Bearing, OEM Flywheel.

At just under 6,000 miles, the Release (TO) Bearing was on it's way, making some noise. Everything else looked to be in good shape.

First and foremost, the pedal-pressure has increased significantly over the OEM '05 pressure. There was extremely little resistance and now you definately need to exert some force. You no longer clutch-in by depressing the pedal, you kick it in with some deliberate authority. Doing so makes it seem as though the effort isn't so high. I'm already getting used to the pedal effort, but I would generally prefer it to be between this and OEM... ...with a slight lean toward the OEM lightness.

Between the ss clutch line, hd clutch and the complete lack of air in the system, the assembly's action feels very firm and direct, with all of the factory vagueness and some of the assist gone. If this is good or bad depends on what you want. It's a bit stiff for me. Probably right in line with an older, highly modified Mustang or an old muscle car. A little out of line for a luxury-GT that's not producing enough power to warrant it.

I can tell that it grabs just a bit more suddenly, but nothing unusual. In fact, it feels better than OEM in the sense that you're not as likely to slip it during that vague OEM engagement. I'll get a better feel once I'm past the break-in period on it.

I decided against the NISMO Flywheel I have, because of noise, and went with a new OEM flywheel. With my low miles, the original flywheel would have been just fine. Glad I stayed with it, but sorry I wasted the money on a fresh one! Likewise, it sucks having wasted the money on the NISMO flywheel as well, as it was never even installed! Perhaps I'll have some things to sell for just above the cost of dirt.

NOW THAT I KNOW: I would say that the OEM clutch/flywheel would be just about right for me, with the addition of just the clutch line and a pedal-height adjustement... ...IF the OEM clutch wasn't so weak. Nobody wants to use the same POS if they have to replace it. But knowing that I'm not going to put a lot of miles on it, and that my power levels are close to stock, I would have been better off doing just that. Driveability would have remained OEM, but with a tad more effort required on the clutch pedal.

Speaking of pedal-height adjustement. I had them do just that (2 turns) before picking the car up, as I've been procrastinating doing so all this time. Well, the substantial increase in pedal pressure changed the characteristics so much that I actually wanted that addded travel to help get some power into clutching-in. The slight change in the engagement point (of the NISMO clutch) also decreased the need to lower the pedal. With it lowered 2 turns it would engage at 1" off the floor. Having it start to engage with the slightest movement off the floor wasn't a good combination with the added return force of the clutch. It would have been way too easy to come off the pedal slightly in traffic.

Due to the clutch-line/bleeding issues, my shop had 8 hours on the install. Luckily, they do great work at discount prices. They still have their labor rate at around $40/hr., so this cost me about $320. This has been my shop of choice for the past 10 years. I know we don't have many other West Texan on here, but if you are and need a shop, look no further than X'cessive Motorsports in San Angelo. Great guys, great work. Tell Tony I sent you.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-04-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With more miles, the clutch pressure seems less of a bother. I'd still prefer it to be lighter, but it's certainly liveable... ...if not as refined.

This 6MT makes me think I'm a little closer to wanting a high-HP AT... ...and that makes me feel like I'm getting old. Thanks, Nissan.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that the nismo flywheel is quiet though! No idle noise and minimal cabin noise at 1k-2k revs if you're listening to the radio you won't even hear it. I'm wondering,do you know if the exedy flywheel is the same as the nismo flywheel?