Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

D-Wolf Clutch Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
D-Wolf Clutch Kit

Since the very first day, my main complaint with my G was the long and vague clutch pedal travel/engagement point. Negotiating stop signs on steeps hills, among other things, was a challenge, to say the least. I have been driving manual transmissions for some 30 years. And as such, I have never had a car with such a long clutch engagement point.

I was more than upset to find that my brother's '04 G35 6MT Sedan had my preferred clutch engagement point, which is right off of the floor.

I have lived with this and have learned how to deal with this said shortcoming. Shortly after purchasing my G, some 2 years ago, I read about the 'Clevis' adjustment that one could perform and shorten the clutch travel prior to the engagement of the same. However, after further research and a few e-mails, I discovered that people were having engagement and premature clutch wear issues with the said Clevis adjustment. So, I opted not to proceed with this adjustment.

Last week, on the My350Z boards, I read about the D-Wolf Clutch Kit. It seemed too good to be true. Not many details were given out . . . However, it was promised that the D-Wolf Clutch Kit would resolve the long clutch pedal travel/engagement issue. For $40.00, I figured, what do I have to lose? For the cost of less than a tank of gasoline, I took a chance in ridding my G of this issue.

Well, I received my kit, today. Terry, included very simple and easy to follow instructions and I had the kit installed in minutes. It took more time for me to get my drop light, extension cord and plug the said in than it actually took for me to install the D-Wolf Clutch Kit.

I immediately took my G to the steep hills on the streets of San Francisco. While driving to the hills, I noticed right away the short clutch pedal travel prior to engagement. Now, the clutch engagement was right off of the floor, so to speak. On flat ground, the car hooks up as soon as I let up on the clutch pedal and apply the gas pedal. Shifting through the gears, engagement is clean, clear and crisp. Down shifting is every bit as smooth and immediate.

Moving on to the steep hills and we have plenty of those, here. While stopped and remaining on a steep incline, clutch engagement could not be any simpler. I simply let the clutch out and as I applied the gas, the car hooks up right away. The days of over lifting and under lifting the clutch pedal on steep hills are gone.

The D-Wolf Clutch Kit works better than I had expected it to. At one time, I had actually taken my G back to the dealership and had asked them to adjust the clutch pedal and rid it of the long travel. They said that there was nothing which they could do to for me . . . Wrong!

Terry, thank you for providing me with a product, which eliminates the dreaded long clutch pedal travel. You have one very happy and pleased end user.

If the issue of a long clutch pedal travel and engagement point is an issue for anyone, you should strongly consider this mod versus spending the same monies on a set of clear corners. This mod actually affords a true and realized benefit to the driver.

I will not be posting any pictures or any further information about the D-Wolf Clutch Kit. To realize and to appreciate the benefits of this mod is to understand why I am doing as I am. I trust that those of you whom will eventually purchase this kit will follow the same path. Terry came up with an excellent, simple and safe fix . . . And as such, Terry should reap the benefits.

Edit: The following is the D-Wolf Clutch Kit link over at My350Z.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278668

6.23.07: Having driven my G for some 60 miles with the D-Wolf Kit, I love the new driving experience and quality which this kit affords. The kit offers such an amazing difference.

For those of you, whom have a shorter/normal clutch pedal travel to clutch engagement point, there is no need for this kit.

6.23.07: It appears that many people are going to wait for someone to post up pics of the D-Wolf Kit and duplicate Terry's idea.

This kit has done wonders to enhance the quality of my G's driving experience. I personally would not begrudge Terry his well deserved rewards. However, it does appear that some will attempt to do so.

Last edited by Andy2434; 06-23-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
so does the clutch still come up to the stock position or does it sit lower now in its upright position? What tools were necessary for the install?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it make the clutch pedal travel less meaning it sits closer in than stock position? i'd like to know how it works. i'd be pissed if i payed $40 for a bolt and a bracket.

Last edited by izmir41500; 06-21-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
so from the other thread, it appears to have the same effect as not pushing the clutch to the floor when shifting?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by izmir41500
post pics of the pieces. i'd be pissed if i payed $40 for a bolt and a bracket.
I expected these sort of responses. If you have a better resolve for this issue . . . Do it!

I am personally putting my neck out on the line, here. Terry met my needs and resolved a long time problem for me and others.

If someone told me that it would cost $100.00 to fix this issue, I would have gladly paid it.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I have no problems paying the $40 for it, I just want to know what it actually does

Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
I expected these sort of responses. If you have a better resolve for this issue . . . Do it!

I am personally putting my neck out on the line, here. Terry met my needs and resolved a long time problem for me and others.

If someone told me that it would cost $100.00 to fix this issue, I would have gladly paid it.
Thanks for the review Andy. It sounds like any easy install, it's mod cost effective, and it seems to perform as advertised. BUT . Why all the secrecy and stealth? I get the creepy feeling I'm buying snake oil to cure my arthritis. Guaranteed cure , but don't ask what's in the bottle ! All I can figure is that it's a very simple mod, that most of us could fabricate ourselfs with 15 bucks of hardware from Home Depot. He hasn't copryrighted it yet for some reason, but still wants to make some invention bucks . That's cool, but I'm just a very "buyer beware" suspicous kind of guy. And my 06 MT seems to engage pretty low as is ~ 1 " from the floor, but is vague and can be engaged much higher also, (but with less pull). Summary: I'll wait 6 months for the DYI photos, and then decide. But again , thanks for another very well written Andy-alysis !!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by redlude97
I have no problems paying the $40 for it, I just want to know what it actually does
What it does is as I have clearly stated. It eliminates the long clutch pedal travel prior to the actual engagement of the clutch. How it works will eventually be disclosed by someone else other than myself.

Originally Posted by penelson
Thanks for the review Andy. It sounds like any easy install, it's mod cost effective, and it seems to perform as advertised. BUT . Why all the secrecy and stealth? I get the creepy feeling I'm buying snake oil to cure my arthritis. Guaranteed cure , but don't ask what's in the bottle ! All I can figure is that it's a very simple mod, that most of us could fabricate ourselfs with 15 bucks of hardware from Home Depot. He hasn't copryrighted it yet for some reason, but still wants to make some invention bucks . That's cool, but I'm just a very "buyer beware" suspicous kind of guy. And my 06 MT seems to engage pretty low as is ~ 1 " from the floor, but is vague and can be engaged much higher also, (but with less pull). Summary: I'll wait 6 months for the DYI photos, and then decide. But again , thanks for another very well written Andy-alysis !!
Paul,

How are you doing, bud? If your clutch pedal travel is short then you should have no issues. However, my clutch pedal travel to engagement has always long, prior to engagement. My clutch engaged nearly at the top of travel before the clutch actually engaged. I have written and chimed in on other post in the past about this issue. Now, for me, the issue has been fully resolved to my satisfaction.

See you at the Monterey Run, bro.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a wooden block under the clutch pedal ?
j/k lol

Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud
a wooden block under the clutch pedal ?
j/k lol
honestly, it seems that it is some sort of piece that goes behind the clutch pedal that reduces the amount of free play that it has when pushed down.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 AM
VIP
???

Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by THX723
Approach 2b
Introduce an adjustable stopper at the bottom of the pedal travel. This has the effect of bringing the floor closer to you (pedal bottoms out sooner). Note: the piston is also at full deflection when pedal is at rest - Good.
I remember seeing an interview with Mark Martin recently on ESPN2HD, just before he drove Hendrick car, where he was talking to the mechanic that being old school driver he needs to fully press the pedal to the floor so if they could put the stopper behind the pedal for him …

Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will this work w/ those w/ aftermarket clutch/flywheel? My Os Giken STR still has an engangement point really high (almost at stock height)

Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Will this work w/ those w/ aftermarket clutch/flywheel? My Os Giken STR still has an engangement point really high (almost at stock height)

YES

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
honestly, it seems that it is some sort of piece that goes behind the clutch pedal that reduces the amount of free play that it has when pushed down.
exactly what I was shooting at heh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: D-Wolf Clutch Kit