Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Stillen Engine Damper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Never trusted Ebay... never will.

+1 - there is a set of nismo replica cams for $500.00. I wonder how amazing those things are

-Sean

Old 08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cheapest I've found it is for $129 on concept z:

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...502565.219.4.5

Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Of course, the Stillen has fallen apart for some people, so I'd say give the replica a shot. How complicated can it really be? Maybe they made improvements while cloning it

Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm.. Just got mine in the mail not too long ago. Still debating on whether to install it or not--leaning towards installing it after the 06 sports bumper goes on.

Shouldn't be that hard to remove if I didn't like it, no?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Hmmm.. Just got mine in the mail not too long ago. Still debating on whether to install it or not--leaning towards installing it after the 06 sports bumper goes on.

Shouldn't be that hard to remove if I didn't like it, no?
Nothing is harder to take apart than it is to install it.

-Sean

Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
how long should the install take? How would u rate its installation difficulty?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
how long should the install take? How would u rate its installation difficulty?
just ship the car to Stillen... I'm gonna have them install mine... not unlike the TS diff & FD - we'll probably have our cars on the road around the same time j/k!

(LOL - inside joke for those that think I'm serious about him shipping the car)...

Look forward to your impressions jonnylaw!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
just ship the car to Stillen... I'm gonna have them install mine... not unlike the TS diff & FD - we'll probably have our cars on the road around the same time j/k!

(LOL - inside joke for those that think I'm serious about him shipping the car)...

Look forward to your impressions jonnylaw!
lol. The things we go through for our project G's

On a dissapointing note, the full, titan exhaust I custom ordered from ARC japan for my G coupe is nowhere to be tracked as of yet and is has been 3+ months--Mackin's responsedunno:

But, an arc aluminum underpanel and motul synthetic engine oil are on its way and I'm finally having an 06 sports bumper painted and installed next week along w/ the stillen engine damper (u think it (anodized red) will look out of place in my engine bay which is clad in anodized blue clamps and carbon fiber covers?)

and..the Quaife's been behaving like a champ in this period of immense rainstorms we've gotten the past few days in Chicago.

haha. I fell asleep for 5 hours at Hermosa beach the first day I was in Socal last week! My pale skin was bright red w/ 2nd degree burns--I was totally pwned by the sun. worse yet, my "friends" took me to LA County King Memorial hospital--when my face was bleeding and oozing w/ puss--instead of taking me to the nice private hospital, which was closer! ( I have insurance btw)--they thought it was a funny joke--a shot of percoset or whatever it was however, got me feeling nicey--until the next morning when I proceeding to look and feel like a freakshow. Damn you Cali sun!

My apologies to the op for bombarding this tread w/ off topic rambles, but I had to respond to Oc's joke

Last edited by jonnylaw; 08-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
Of course, the Stillen has fallen apart for some people, so I'd say give the replica a shot. How complicated can it really be? Maybe they made improvements while cloning it
I have the Stillen and had the chance to inspect a Replica last weekend that a friend installed on his car. Its probably 80% the build quality of the Stillen and just as, if not more likely to fall apart. But considering the price, I guess it could be worse.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
lol. The things we go through for our project G's

On a dissapointing note, the full, titan exhaust I custom ordered from ARC japan for my G coupe is nowhere to be tracked as of yet and is has been 3+ months--Mackin's responsedunno:

But, an arc aluminum underpanel and motul synthetic engine oil are on its way and I'm finally having an 06 sports bumper painted and installed next week along w/ the stillen engine damper (u think it (anodized red) will look out of place in my engine bay which is clad in anodized blue clamps and carbon fiber covers?)

and..the Quaife's been behaving like a champ in this period of immense rainstorms we've gotten the past few days in Chicago.

haha. I fell asleep for 5 hours at Hermosa beach the first day I was in Socal last week! My pale skin was bright red w/ 2nd degree burns--I was totally pwned by the sun. worse yet, my "friends" took me to LA County King Memorial hospital--when my face was bleeding and oozing w/ puss--instead of taking me to the nice private hospital, which was closer! ( I have insurance btw)--they thought it was a funny joke--a shot of percoset or whatever it was however, got me feeling nicey--until the next morning when I proceeding to look and feel like a freakshow. Damn you Cali sun!

My apologies to the op for bombarding this tread w/ off topic rambles, but I had to respond to Oc's joke
bad joke on the hospital choice... isn't that the place with all the scrutiny about letting people die on the floor?... I thought I heard they were closing it down might not even be the same place... hope you had a good time other than that...

As far as the engine damper color looking out of place - I paint or powder coat everything in mine... I'll do that with this too if/when I get one.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Stillen Engine Damper review/Install

I just completed installation. It was a pain because of how tight the area is. The directions are also a little confusing. I have no idea how people got it done in 45 minutes. Jeez; it took me 20 minutes just to clearly understand the directions. After about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours I got it done. My PS hose's were close to the damper, so I slit another PS hose I had sitting around and put it over the existing hose's & secured them with wire ties. Next I put a wire loom cover over the PS cover I indicated above to keep that nice stock/clean OEM look. After the install I had nearly no vibration. At first, I did not even notice a difference at idle, but after a while I did notice a VERY slight vibration in the wheel. When I say slight, I mean "slight". The shifts are firmer & the car seems very sturdy especially when accelerating. You get a little vibration in the gas peddle when you are accelerating, but I personally love that feel. The car feels less refined. More of a sports car feel; which I love. I have no idea why other members say that the vibration was really bad or the dash shakes. The only thing I can think of is improper installation caused by misinterpreting the directions. Maybe people are putting the damper in the wrong way, not adjusting the damper OR maybe it is binding somewhere. If I rushed to get the install done; or did not CAREFULLY read the directions, I would of messed the install up myself. Anyway, I love this little mod & recommend it to members that like that sports car feel.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I completely agree with you. That was the first thing i noticed the "slight" vibration in the steering wheel. You almost have to pay attention to notice it. After a while you will start hearing my vibrations since the screws will come loose faster from more vibration, but than god we have tools that allow us to tight them with loctite! Anyways, good review. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as me!

-Sean

Old 09-15-2007, 12:19 AM
ok guys, my car is going to the shop on monday to get installed an arc underpanel, sports skirts, fresh motul, and maybe the stillen damper, which i have.

To those that have this installed or know their automechanil ish, my q and sole concern is whether/how the damper will effect the integity of my pe hfc's and arc titan exhaust? Will the installed damper cause more or less stress on the exhaust components under heavy engine load??? I could care less bout a little nvh, but if my pe cats and arc exhaust ever got cracked I would be so pissed.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-15-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
engine dampner

I recently bought one and didn't get instructions, does anybody have illustrations or directions i could download?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Engine Damper