Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Coupe midpipe on G35 Sedan (stock Ypipe & Muffler)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe midpipe on G35 Sedan (stock Ypipe & Muffler)

Ok, so I got my Coupe midpipe installed ($235 + shipping from www.PerformanceNissanParts.com); here are my initial impressions...

1. Sound: Wow...there's definitely a change in sound. At startup and idle, the exhaust note on my G35 is noticeably deeper now (especially in the lower rpm's) and when I rev it it, the exhaust really comes to life. There's even a tiny backpressure "burp" or two when I rev it while in P or N...like one you would hear on a cat-back system. With the Coupe midpipe, it sounds more like the FX35/45 and G35 Coupe..not quite as deep and mean, but pretty close.

2. Power: At this point, I'm still not sure if it increased HP or not, but logic tells me it did due to the fact that the Coupe midpipe is less restrictive (has a much smaller resonator and a more straight-through pipe) and it's is much lighter than the stock midpipe (with that crazy huge resonator and heat shield).

3. Other Notes: 1. The install would have taken 25 min. but the stock heat shield (directly under the driveshaft) and the small crossbar (again, directly under the driveshaft, but more toward the front of the car) were slightly in the way of the new Coupe midpipe (they were both actually just barely touching the new midpipe). Because the muffler shop guy thought these parts touching the new midpipe would cause it to rattle, he removed the heat shield and modified the crossbar by shortening it (he cut it and welded it back on to its brackets) and then reattched the crossbar so it doesn't touch the midpipe's resonator.

BTW -- If anyone knows if I absolutely need to have the aluminum heat shield on it (it would reattach just above the Coupe midpipe (and I could bend it a bit so it doesn't touch either the midpipe or the driveshaft), just below the driveshaft -- please let me know. I kept the old parts just in case.

All-in-all, the install took about 1 hour at a cost of $100 (would have been $75, but he added $25 for the modification part)...boy, do these guys rook you or what...I think they're all crooks, but anyway, it's on and I think I'm going to stop here; I don't see any reason to add a Y pipe at this point. For a G35 with stock exhaust, the Coupe midpipe absolutely provides a deeper, slightly louder exhaust note (closer to the Coupe and FX35/45), and probably adds a few HP as well. I think it was worth the $$ spent.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe

Old 11-14-2004, 02:59 AM
Re: Coupe midpipe on G35 Sedan (stock Ypipe & Muffler)

Well do you ever plan to dyno or do some form of testing to see if the mid pip really show performance gains?

Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Re: Coupe midpipe on G35 Sedan (stock Ypipe & Muffler)

Nah...don't really care if it does or not b/c the sound is so sweet now that a possible 1-3 HP gain (if at all) is a non-issue. I'm sure I didn't lose any power or torque and the Coupe midpipe's less restrictive design says it's good for a small increase in power, but I can't tell with my butt dyno. The exhaust note is much deeper now with a "burple" or two, especially under 2,500 rpm. It's a decent mod; it's what the stock Sedan should sound like imo.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 11/14/04 08:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any droning problems like the Borla/Stillen? This may be a great option for those that just want better sound. I like the 'marketing' performance gain of Stillen, but the reality of the gains may not be worth the annoying noise.

Is this the part you got?

Link

Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by nate
Any droning problems like the Borla/Stillen? This may be a great option for those that just want better sound. I like the 'marketing' performance gain of Stillen, but the reality of the gains may not be worth the annoying noise.

Is this the part you got?

Link
Yes, that's it...the "Sedan High Flow midpipe" a.k.a. the Coupe midpipe, and it sounds much deeper than the stock Sedan midpipe; closer to the Coupe and FX35/45, but mainly below 2,500 rpm with no droning. Above 3,500 rpm, my Z tube's sound is more prevalent anyhow. The coupe midpipe's sound makes me smile every time I start her up ...idling sounds very much like the Coupe and our '03 FX35; it's just our FX35 has more of a growl through the rpm ranges than my G35 with Coupe midpipe (but then again, I love the sound of the Z tube at the upper rpm ranges which our FX35 doesn't have , but I think the Coupe midpipe is a very good, affordable solution for those looking for a better, deeper exhaust note on their G35 Sedan!

Old 12-06-2004, 01:24 PM
I have the coupe mid-pipe as well in my 6MT sedan, and there is no droning problem for me. One of the other benefits of this easy mod is the weight savings versus the stock sedan mid-pipe [about 20 lbs. or so].

Old 12-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jstwong
I have the coupe mid-pipe as well in my 6MT sedan, and there is no droning problem for me. One of the other benefits of this easy mod is the weight savings versus the stock sedan mid-pipe [about 20 lbs. or so].
I recently replaced my Borla due to droning issues.
Went back to stock with a HKS rear section

I really miss the sound, except for the drone
This may be a real good solution.

Did you experience any fitment issues similar to bsgoren???

Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 PM
My install pretty much had the same heat shield interference. But in my case, the installer just bent the heat shield to get around the cross bar. That was all that was needed in my case, and I was able to keep the heat shield on.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Any pictrues of the coupe and sedan midpipes? I have a 2005 sedan and am intersted to know if the 05's are different. Currently, the sedan exhaust is deeper.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 AM
there has been no change to this part for 05.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the install just bolts (welding not needed)? I know bsgoren's installer did some, but from what jstwong said it sounds like it can be a simple install. I would like to have a relative do it on the cheap who owns a small shop with limited tools, but he does have a full size lift.

Also, any sound and/or video clips? Would appreciate it and help with the decision.

Thanks

Last edited by nate; 02-16-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
any clips or pics

Old 06-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
wowie, look at the date of the OP: 09-28-2004

he hasn't logged on since 3/20/07

although, i've never heard the coupe middy on the 03-04 sedan. i'm curious.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:37 AM

this has been a while since people have talked about this.. but just wondering is there still a site where i can get a coupe midpipe for my sedan??

Old 10-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the marketplace - exhaust forum for a used one. new they are $230+, used ~$50. also check your local craigslist etc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupe midpipe on G35 Sedan (stock Ypipe & Muffler)