Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Borla Racing Y-pipe

Old 12-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Borla Racing Y-pipe

I kept seeing ads on craigslist in the G35 parts section and since the price was reasonable ($169), they were local and what limited information I could find on them, they had decent reviews.

Went to their store in Garland (TX), at first they said they were out, then a quick call to the back found that several were in stock but in mis-labeled boxes (says 370Z) so he brought one up. Weld quality looked really good, so did the merge and included all three gaskets plus bolts for the back end to bolt to the cat back (studs on the OEM Y-pipe). Box fit in the trunk so that was a plus.

Found a local muffler shop to do the install for $30! Sure beat driving my car up on ramps and laying on cold pavement in 50 degree weather doing it myself. Took the guy about 20 minutes to swap the Y-pipes. My car is and always has been a Texas car so no rust to worry about.

Upon start up there was a touch of resonance inside my car that lasted 10 seconds or so and it still comes and goes when I start the car but ends very quickly. I think it is because the pipe on the passenger side is so close to the underside, maybe it touches briefly when the car starts. Can't hear it outside the car though and like I said, it goes away very quickly when I do hear it. Then it doesn't come back while driving at all.

Low speed there seems to be a bit more tone to the exhaust, probably a by-product of larger pipes. Other than that, seems the same. Performance? Hard to tell, a Y-pipe isn't a big gain product, at best you can get what, maybe 7-10 hp? Maybe a bit more urgency at higher rpm perhaps. So if you're looking for big power, this isn't where it is at. But if you live in the rust belt, it is a good option to replace your rusted out original. Or if like me, the Y-pipe is another piece of the puzzle in opening up the exhaust, its a relatively inexpensive option.

I may have bought the last one for the VQ35DE G35/350Z because they aren't showing it on their page (I was told March would be when the next batch is run when he initially was unaware they had them in stock), but that could also be a result of the mislabeled boxes too.

http://belugaracing.com/product/belu...x-08-13-q5-14/

Of course pics...

OEM Y-pipe:

Name:  IMG_20161202_113130_zpspefwubjj.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  1.54 MB

Beluga Racing:

Name:  IMG_20161202_113610_zps1nhzipmw.jpg
Views: 2560
Size:  1.25 MB

You can see how close the flex pipe is to the floor of the car, that's probably were the momentary resonance is coming from on start-up.

So to sum up

Plus:

Stainless steel
Quality welds
Nothing else to buy
Easy to swap out

Cons:

I may have the last one in stock until March for the VQ35DE
A bit of resonance when first starting the car

The following users liked this post:
Sam G35S (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice pickup op looks good.

Last edited by ZunderG; 12-05-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Scottwax (12-10-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
I kept seeing ads on craigslist in the G35 parts section and since the price was reasonable ($169), they were local and what limited information I could find on them, they had decent reviews.

Went to their store in Garland (TX), at first they said they were out, then a quick call to the back found that several were in stock but in mis-labeled boxes (says 370Z) so he brought one up. Weld quality looked really good, so did the merge and included all three gaskets plus bolts for the back end to bolt to the cat back (studs on the OEM Y-pipe). Box fit in the trunk so that was a plus.

Found a local muffler shop to do the install for $30! Sure beat driving my car up on ramps and laying on cold pavement in 50 degree weather doing it myself. Took the guy about 20 minutes to swap the Y-pipes. My car is and always has been a Texas car so no rust to worry about.

Upon start up there was a touch of resonance inside my car that lasted 10 seconds or so and it still comes and goes when I start the car but ends very quickly. I think it is because the pipe on the passenger side is so close to the underside, maybe it touches briefly when the car starts. Can't hear it outside the car though and like I said, it goes away very quickly when I do hear it. Then it doesn't come back while driving at all.

Low speed there seems to be a bit more tone to the exhaust, probably a by-product of larger pipes. Other than that, seems the same. Performance? Hard to tell, a Y-pipe isn't a big gain product, at best you can get what, maybe 7-10 hp? Maybe a bit more urgency at higher rpm perhaps. So if you're looking for big power, this isn't where it is at. But if you live in the rust belt, it is a good option to replace your rusted out original. Or if like me, the Y-pipe is another piece of the puzzle in opening up the exhaust, its a relatively inexpensive option.

I may have bought the last one for the VQ35DE G35/350Z because they aren't showing it on their page (I was told March would be when the next batch is run when he initially was unaware they had them in stock), but that could also be a result of the mislabeled boxes too.

http://belugaracing.com/product/belu...x-08-13-q5-14/

Of course pics...

OEM Y-pipe:

Beluga Racing:

You can see how close the flex pipe is to the floor of the car, that's probably were the momentary resonance is coming from on start-up.

So to sum up

Plus:

Stainless steel
Quality welds
Nothing else to buy
Easy to swap out

Cons:

I may have the last one in stock until March for the VQ35DE
A bit of resonance when first starting the car
Looks good

Scottwax (12-10-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:22 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
lol at 7-10 hp gain, not a chance.

However it's an improvement to begin to help the car breathe better.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:14 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Just going by what I've seen on various Y-pipes online. Like this one on this site: https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...pipe-dyno.html

Beluga racing makes no mention of any gains. And I know our y-pipes are not nearly as restrictive as the J-pipe was on my Accord-definitely some very noticeable gains there.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:51 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Good find, I remember those days. I'd only been a member for about 6 months when that thread came out and man, was I excited about little mods like that. I had NO idea what was in store for me and Amanda at the time.

I sure do miss DaveB, he was one of the early pioneers of a very technical approach to examining and coming up with new mods and making mods known at the time better. My comment was aimed at the MR/Beluga mid though, not the HR pipe. If you read through the thread Dave mentions that the only 2 pipes proven to make power at the time were the HR and Motordyne's XYZ. He clearly states he hadn't see any aftermarket pipes make power, in fact a few dyno's he'd seen they actually lost it. My experience with the XYZ was after a tune I added it and a MD VQ sedan exhaust with a resonator and straight mid and gained 15/15 in before and after dyno runs at UpRev in Austin. Not bad for an exhaust, especially given what I had paid for the exhaust. But that, my friends is another story for another day, let's just say I ended up with the prototype VQ.

Scottwax (12-10-2016)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.