Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Z-tube and K&N Filter Combo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great combo.
Seemed to make a big difference on the low end, I don't think that is in my head.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any other z-tube with K&N owners chime on how they like the setup?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Jp1
I don't feel like it's made a ton of difference performance wise. (hard to tell 5 hp gains etc). The sound and fun of installing something on the G is to me well worth the 100+ dollars. The fact that your air filter is reuseable is also a plus.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Devil's Advocate
I'm very happy with it. Until someone can prove that a more expensive CAI performs any better I guess I'll just have to stick with it.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by CarFanatic56
any other z-tube with K&N owners chime on how they like the setup?
it was my first mod and I enjoyed working on the engine. very easy install, maybe 30 minutes total. to me, sounds a little louder with maybe a slight power increase.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by maxpower
it was my first mod and I enjoyed working on the engine. very easy install, maybe 30 minutes total. to me, sounds a little louder with maybe a slight power increase.

+1

not sure about feeling anything, but it sounds a lot better.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 AM
DJM
Where did all of you purchase your z-tubes from?
I took a look at my OEM air filter the other day and noticed that it is pretty dirty (10,000 mi), so I was thinking of going to a K&N and I might as well get the Z-Tube while Im at it.
Thanks

Old 09-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by DJM
Where did all of you purchase your z-tubes from?
I took a look at my OEM air filter the other day and noticed that it is pretty dirty (10,000 mi), so I was thinking of going to a K&N and I might as well get the Z-Tube while Im at it.
Thanks

http://infinitipa.zoovy.com/product/16576-CD000

Old 09-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I was at the dealer getting my car serviced the other day and was just chatting it up with the salesman about the new models, etc. We got to talking about mods and he said NOT to go with the K&N filter with the G. He said it's perfect for the good ol' American cars, but that it's not the best option for the G35/350Z. He implied you'd lose something by going K&N.

I'm totally new to all this mod stuff and am far from a car guy, so bear with me. If I understand correctly, or perhaps I don't, if you ever go CAI, your Z-tube becomes moot? Wasted purchase basically? Or are there CAIs that work with the Z-tube?

I'm putting the Z-tube in Monday, but not changing the air filter. I'm kinda wondering if it was a wasted purchase if I plan to go CAI down the road. Or should I just screw the CAI and add the pop charger to the Z-tube?

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure why you'd lose going to a K&N panel filter.

If you want to go CAI, don't bother with the Z-tube. Personally, I found I lost power with the Pop-Charger, and this was shown in 0-60 times I ran with my G-Timer, and consistent with the dynos I ran over 2 days (testing Hyper-Ground benefits). There are some that say it makes a difference at high RPM however, but I didn't notice anything.

Same with the CAIs. Many report going back to just a Z-Tube and K&N panel filter after trying the P-C and various CAIs, but many are happy with them.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Not sure why you'd lose going to a K&N panel filter.

If you want to go CAI, don't bother with the Z-tube. Personally, I found I lost power with the Pop-Charger, and this was shown in 0-60 times I ran with my G-Timer, and consistent with the dynos I ran over 2 days (testing Hyper-Ground benefits). There are some that say it makes a difference at high RPM however, but I didn't notice anything.

Same with the CAIs. Many report going back to just a Z-Tube and K&N panel filter after trying the P-C and various CAIs, but many are happy with them.
Yeah, it really seems that there is no hard consensus on these things. Already paid for the Z tube, so I guess I'll just drop it in and throw in the K&N and pass on the CAI. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I've seen demos for the K&N filters versus other brands and they certainly sold me on it. The amount of air flow doesn't even get disrupted even if you put your whole hand on the filter, which is a sign that no matter what, your engine is getting the air it needs. The other brands simply choked if there was anything clogging it. This was demonstrated with an air tube with a ping pong ball floating around in it attached to a chamber with fans sucking in outside air. With the K&N filter, the ping pong never dropped...I was definitely impressed.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 AM
About to do the Ztube/ drop in K&N upgrade myself. 5/16 spacer coming later. I hear that's when u actually feel power gains. I was gonna go with a JWT also but most people that had them lost power and decided to remove them.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Is the Z-tube compatible with an 06 g35 sedan auto? If so I would love to look into getting the actual tube. I've had problems with my old car fitting CAI's to an auto vs manual so I would love to keep a similar stock style setup with a drop in K&N filter with the larger intake tube. I work at Autoanything.com so I can get the drop in filter for $24

Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 PM
anyone have issues with z tube?

Longtime lurker, has anyone had issues with a rough idle after installing a z tube? as soon as I installed mine my car suddenly started running rough and then threw a CEL for both o2 sensors. After replacing the stock intake tube all issues have dissappered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Z-tube and K&N Filter Combo