Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ECU tuning option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
where is the crank angle sensor located? can someone make a unit like this:

This is the STeeda timiing adjuster fro 4.6L Mustangs. Basically, you pull the crank angle sensor out of the block and mount it to this unit. This unit is also attached to the crank shaft. It allows you to adjust timing +/- 10*. Very cool and very effective.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by klg35
so, are people getting ripped off by going t/s or dealer? is there a guaranteed from t/s, or any after market "tuner" that will honor the factory warranty IF something should go afoul with adjusting the ecu? please enlighten....thanks.
They are getting ripped off by going to the dealer. $200 down the drain, that is if you are expecting AFR adjustments. The warranties are not part of the game with modding, you should really not expect any. If you are N/A, it would take a very careless tune to do damage to the car.

I guarantee you that they are flat out lying to you, 6969g35. You cannot adjust AFR at all, cannot even adjust idle on the lev2 cars, can adjust timing +/- 2 degrees, and that's for testing purposes only...it doesn't stay there, and goes back to normal.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:03 PM
gurgen, thanks for clarifying..........it makes sense to me now......

Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by ndbolourchi
I am assuming a dealer would use the Consult II to change the ECU. Does anybody know how much it costs to buy one for personal use?
Just called nissantechmate.com at 1-800-662-2001, and their consumer quote for the Consult II is MSRP $6,265.18. I asked what was the dealer price, i.e. perhaps you know a shop that could order you one, and they said the price varies. My guess is that it's probably $4K. Hope this helps. If anyone knows a shop willing to help out with the purchase, please let me know.

http://www.nissantechmate.com/FeaturedDetail.aspx?id=1

Last edited by G35Info!; 07-18-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference then between the o4 and 05 that accounts for the extra 20 hp? Thanks Krebitz

Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by krebitz
Can anyone tell me the difference then between the o4 and 05 that accounts for the extra 20 hp? Thanks Krebitz
The exhaust cams are variable as well (in addition to the intake cams variable like ours are). Also, the shorter runners allow for higher peak hp at the expense of midrange torque.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Florida G35 Club Premier Member
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
The exhaust cams are variable as well (in addition to the intake cams variable like ours are). Also, the shorter runners allow for higher peak hp at the expense of midrange torque.
Don't forget that they changed the transmission brace as well. That added an extra 15 HP... lol

But seriously... they did change the mid-pipe in the exhaust, as well as the rear hangers on the muffler.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by studman
Don't forget that they changed the transmission brace as well. That added an extra 15 HP... lol

But seriously... they did change the mid-pipe in the exhaust, as well as the rear hangers on the muffler.
Yeah but any exhaust mod like that will never give more than 1-2 hp, it's a stock exhaust which still has to abide by sound level restrictions. Keep in mind that the best exhaust out there for the coupes makes about 5/7 trq/hp at the wheels.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Florida G35 Club Premier Member
True. I definitely wasn't implying that the stock exhaust alone caused the changes.... I merely wanted to point out another change that hadn't already been noted.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Question: Did anyone ever figure out whether or not the timing advance is permanent?

On my 2004.5 G Coupe, I was having a problem after my header install with the rpms dropping down to ~500 or just slightly lower whenever I put the car in neutral (like when coming up to a stop light). I had the dealership try to raise the rpm on my post 10/2003 ECU and they couldn't! (This proves Gurgen was correct above) They then advanced the timing by 2 degrees and the rpms went up by about 100-150 at idle. This took care of my problem, or so I thought.

Well, as of late, the rpm drop appears to be rearing its ugly head again and I'm wondering if I hooked up the consult-II if I would get a reading of 2 degrees advanced timing or if it would have reset back to stock. Anyone care to take a guess or share an educated, factual tid-bit with us? TIA...

BTW, LokeyInfiniti installed a SAFC-II on his loaner G Coupe. He had it dyno tuned for ~6rwhp (if memory serves correctly) and he was going to have it re-dynoed a month or two after his initial dyno. I think it's time for that second dyno...

Old 07-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by neffster
Question: Did anyone ever figure out whether or not the timing advance is permanent?
I didn't want to contradict Gurgen, but... Dealer set mine at 17 about three months ago and it's still holding. TS did a F-Flash about two weeks ago and last time I checked it was still around 17... The problem I have is it doesn't hold steady. It bounces around between 16 and 18.

Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Originally Posted by G35Info!
Just called nissantechmate.com at 1-800-662-2001, and their consumer quote for the Consult II is MSRP $6,265.18. I asked what was the dealer price, i.e. perhaps you know a shop that could order you one, and they said the price varies. My guess is that it's probably $4K. Hope this helps. If anyone knows a shop willing to help out with the purchase, please let me know.

http://www.nissantechmate.com/FeaturedDetail.aspx?id=1
YIKES!

Old 08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Just to throw my opinion out there (even though it's not worth a damn.....however, Doug at Crawford Z confirmed this with me):

Reprogramming your ECU is pretty much worthless on the G35/350z if you are already running high octance fuel.

If you are like me down here in Texas and running 93 octance, forget about it and don't waste your money. It's $500-$700 down the American Standard urinal.

It might make sense for some of our brothers out in Cali with 91 octane being the highest.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
"If you are like me down here in Texas and running 93 octance, forget about it and don't waste your money"

whoa......anything you have that can back you in this?.......i'm really curious now since i was about to reflash w/t/square.....headers, crank pulley, ztube w/kn filter, removed pre-muffler and 50hp nitrous..............91 octane is the highest here in so-cal....so maybe that statement doesn't apply to us?

Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
It might make sense for some of our brothers out in Cali with 91 octane being the highest.
klg35 - How's that 50-shot treating you? Any ill-effects or is everything running smoothly? I've never been a big fan of nitrous, but this car has me considering it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU tuning option