Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Very large sub in a G coupe install :) pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Very large sub in a G coupe install :) pics

okay, so this time i got to do sorta the opposite of my normal stealthy installs...and it was perhaps one of the most challenging G installs i have done.

The customer had alrady bought a bunch of gear, whcih after talking to him, i immediately recommended to him to change out the sub. In all fairness to him, he had bought the gear before the G coupe, not knowing he would get a car with small trunk hehe.

but anyway, it tuned out we had to go with the gear already purchase...so...

here is the problem...the sub he has is the Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite 12, hands down one of the biggest 12" subs out there, bigger even in outter dimensions than the jl 12w7!

to give you a better idea of the challengs facing the install...here are the gear thats going in the trunk...note that the sub is 13.5" wide and 11' deep! and also two relatiely large PG amps...

that should already mean something to you Coupe owners lol...but here is the space we have to work with, from the front part of the trunk, floor to ceiling is only about 10.75" tall! that means there is no way to really fit the sub in the normal ways...not to mention if factor into the account that the subbox that it needs, and the subbox's wall thickness...yikes!

well, enough whining lol...lets get onto the install...

goals:

1. Obviously, stealth and space is not hte goal here, but the owner still like to be able to keep a little bit of usable room in the trunk for small items.

2. Having decent SQ while retaining the factory bose system - this proved to be an additional challenge to the trunk becuase the bose amp can not be removed to gain more space...

so...here is the headunit, stock, i located the phoenix gold LPL44 remote bass **** on the center console area for easy access, its down by the shifter:

the front stage is a hybrid, the customer provide a pair of MB Quart Q series midbass, whcih were installed in the factory lower door location, the entire door was of course dampeend and new wire ran into the door. a set of DLS ultimate iridium tweeters were flushed into the stock kick panel. this gives an overall response a bit less harsh than the full Q set

moving on to the main part, the trunk...here is the normal view, with part fo the stock carpet in place, and the cargo net so the customer can still load some small items in the trunk:

remove the carpet and netting and here is what you see, a full vinyl front wall and fake floor, that extends to the edges of the trunk, wtih two grilles covering openings in the middle of both surfaces. the floor part was not raised at all

pop those covers off, and this is what you get. My solution to the large sub issue was to utilize the space BELOW the stock floor for the subbox, and then mount the sub upside down and surround the top side with a suede covered housing for cosmetic effect. the amps are in there own suede lined well towards the back of the trunk. both are topped with clear plexi. The stock bose amp and other modules on the driver side trunk were relocated to clear the amp rack.

to boose the signal going to the amps from the stock headunit measure 1voltish to a full 8-10 volts is a Phoenix gold line driver. the Titanium 500.4 runs the front stage fully active with 75 watts per speaker, and the 800.1 sends over 800 watts to the titainium elite 12

those its kinda hard to see, the front wall is acutlaly part fiberglass, becusae in parts it protrudes PAST the open of the trunk, so i glassed a top "lip" so one wouldnt see behind the wall

and finally to better illustrate how the subbox works, here is the view with the fake floor and front wall removed:

overall, sounds pretty good, very dynamic, a few improvements can be had with a real headunit, but not bad...and i am just glad i found a way to fit that monster

Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work like always.

Love the Ti amps.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
where is the bass ****?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
where is the bass ****?
third pic down, look right behind and to the right of the shifter

Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 PM
...we dont need roads...

Good Job!!! Looks really clean

Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 AM
FFS ! Open a shop in Miami.... Great work as usual "B"

Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 AM
looks clean.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:42 AM
how much airspace did you get for the underside of the sub enclosure? it looks like its completely sealed on both sides of the subs, any between progress pics?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Nice job done like always

Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by SilviaVsSupra
how much airspace did you get for the underside of the sub enclosure? it looks like its completely sealed on both sides of the subs, any between progress pics?

1.4 cub feet in the subbox, as for the top side...the top is completely open

no progressive pics this time

Old 09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16psibrick, I wish you work down here in Socal.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome install. I cant wait to have you come install my 13.5 W7!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
hehe i will be down in socal twice this month picking up and droppping off customers cars, infact, this mont i am doing three socal cars i am only about 4.5 hours away from LA so

13w7...honestly...after doing this thing, i am not sure if i wanna do such a huge sub anymore in a coupe, my back is killin me lol

Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 PM
WOW That's awesome

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very large sub in a G coupe install :) pics