The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Dealer denying known Oil Consumption problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer denying known Oil Consumption problem

I have had my 06 mt sedan for roughly 12000 miles and after my most recent oil change I noticed the engine running much more roughly and making not so pleasant sounds. Anyway, it has 29500 miles and was going in to the dealer monday for service. That friday night I'm cruising at about 25 in traffic and horrible noise ensues/engine dies. So it gets towed to the dealer (Infiniti Manhattan) and they tell me there was no oil in the car piston head warped and shot connect rod. My last oil change was less than 2000 miles ago. I immediately suspected the known oil consumption problem as the culprit. To my horror my service adviser calls me and tells me that in their opinion I am a young guy who raced my car all the time and neglected to change the oil once over 12000 miles. I brought receipts for 4 oil changes over the span and I changed it once myself when I first purchased the car (from their showroom). They looked shocked to see that someone of my age (23) actually had records to disprove their claims, however, they still deny knowing anything about a known problem with 05/06 mt oil consumption. The service adviser expected me to be satisfied with "all cars burn oil" ....

I have located the Infiniti TSB on the issue....

Has anyone encountered anything similar with their dealer? Will the TSB be enough to get them to do the right thing?

P.s. I love my G but coming from an Audi and having grown up with a few Jags and Bimmers in the family, Infiniti's service is a long way from being that of a Luxury Brand automaker

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Do you have a copy of the Infiniti performed service records for the period before you had the car? If not, get it - and look for any signs of oil consumption during that time - then you can establish a history of a developing problem that they didn't tell you about when you purchased the car. They know as well as anyone that you had no contorl over the break-in process and former owner's break-in habits - but they sold you the car as "certified" I bet. Since they sold you the car, get the sales manager involved as well as the service manager. You might try a "what kind of car did you try to sell me?" angle.

I think the fact that you have oil change receipts will serve you well as you go forward in the process. Play up the TSB angle as something that you just found... so that it doesn't backfire on you with an assertion that "well you knew about the issue, so you should have been checking your oil more often."

Do you have a clean driving record? If so, you could use that to debunk the "young guy who raced my car all the time" idea. You can only drive like a bat out of hell for so long without getting caught. If it's not totally clean, don't mention it. Also, don't hesitate to get Infiniiti corporate involved... there should be a phone number in your owner's manual.

In any case, I suspect it's standard operating procedure to push back on such a large claim at first... then give in as time goes on. They're hoping you'll just go away - so, in a firm but polite way, make sure that they realize that you won't.

Good luck!

Heath

Last edited by Q451990; 06-08-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Get a lawyer and fight your dealer or just go for the big boys at infiniti

Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear what happened. i would at least call infiniti customer service.. 1.800.662.6200 and file a complaint against your dealer. they sound like a bunch of a$$hats. the oil consumption is so prevalent in these cars they even have a tsb on it. the comments they made assuming your driving habits is equivalent to a slap in the face. i would have ripped that guy a new one if it was me.

i used to have nothing but problems when dealing with infiniti dealerships, so i feel your pain. it was probably one of the main reasons i traded my car and ran like hell.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
a lil luck

"Do you have a clean driving record? If so, you could use that to debunk the "young guy who raced my car all the time" idea. You can only drive like a bat out of hell for so long without getting caught. If it's not totally clean, don't mention it. Also, don't hesitate to get Infiniiti corporate involved... there should be a phone number in your owner's manual."

I think your a little off Q some of us are just lucky sometimes...haha ive been pulled over 32 times in 6 different states and still no ticket i am only 22....luck has everything to do with it

Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I so shove it up there @sses with no vaseline. I hate dealers that always assume things amongst the young. They know damn well the the G35's have oil consumption problems and just wont admit to it but I'd be the one to hand it to them. I'd have an attorney serve them. One thing dealerships don't want is theat type of publicity. I hope you get everything resolved and I'm glad that you kept the records!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I would call Infiniti Customer Care as soon as possible and tell them everything from day 1. Good thing you kept the receipts, hopefully the previous owner had the oil changed at an Infiniti network and it will be on file. Keep us up to date on the situation and I hope everything works out for you. I just had my new engine installed and it's holding up great so far.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
I have an 05 sedan 6MT and havn't had a problem. Did the car throw off any warning alarms since there was no oil in the motor? I would bring that up to the dealer.

Hope it all works out for you.