Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

"Can I mod my NAV to play DVDs?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
"Can I mod my NAV to play DVDs?"

I think this is the most asked question on this forum (at least twice a week). Will a moderator please sticky one of the better threads regarding this issue at the top of this section so people quit posting about it?

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.com
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod

Last edited by KPierson; 04-13-2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Can I mod my NAV to play DVDs???"

Here it is:

1.) The answer is YES. You can mod your your factory Navigation screen to view other video sources, and switch back to the factory guidance display even while there is video playing in the background.

2.) You cannot utilize the factory DVD-Rom in the glovebox to play Video DVDs. This unit is made to read the Navigation data only, and it would take entirely too much time and research to reverse engineer this unit. You must provide your own video sources. This has been confirmed.

3.) There are a few choices on the market available to allow you to 'switch' to an external video source. The first and most popular unit is the AV Electronics unit. This unit has a few key features, mainly 3 external video/audio inputs, optional S-Video input, multiple screen outputs, FM Modulation for sound and an RF Frequency remote control. It also allows you to have different video sources playing on different monitors in your car (if you have them). A reverse camera can also be connected optionally, under VID 3. If used, the AV Electronic unit will automatically switch to VID 3 and display the video source from the optional back-up camera when the vehicle is in Reverse gear.

The second unit drawing some attention on the forums is manufactured by Pac-Audio Accessories and is just now coming to the market this month. This unit is a single video input switcher only, and will allow you to connect one video source to your navigation screen. The unit does not provide any options for audio at this time, but most others would recommend purchasing the PAC AAI-NIS unit to utilize the factory headunit's SAT button for an 'aux' audio source. Of course, most users can expand on the number of video inputs by simply installing a video splitter or switch (like those from Radio Shack for video systems).

4.) The Video quality from both units is good. It is not HDTV like picture quality, however is great considering the screen which is being utilized. The Fm Modulated sound from the AV Electronic box is fair, and can easily be improved upon. Some users have forfeited the built-in sound modulation and have instead installed tape adapters or purchased the PAC AAI-NIS unit. The improvement is remarkable, even just from the tape adapter.

5.) The costs of the video switcher units available on the market have been noted anywhere from $200.00 to $500.00. The prices are dependant on the brand of the unit and the features included.

6.) Both units discussed above can be installed by a novice DIYer. The installations are easier to accomplish, once you understand how the vehicle's interior is assembled. The best way to understand the assembly/disassembly of the dash are is to read the Double-Din installation guide posted by Doctron1. This is one of the best write-ups on the subject and it provides some key hints and tips (along with pictures) to help you better understand the areas which must be accessed to successfully install both the PAC units and the AV Electronic boxes.
- The wire harness to install both the AV Electronic unit and the PAC Video unit are located behind the glovebox area. Most installations will require the lowering of the glovebox, removal of the center console area and removal of certain other trim pieces to allow access behind the factory headunit. If you do install the PAC AAI-NIS unit as well, it requires to be plugged in to the back of the factory headunit.

7.) The units DO require the cutting of wires for installation:
- AV Electronics unit requires the cutting of (1) wire and a source of 12v power. The AV Electronic unit can be ordered as G35 specific, making installation simple. Most installers have spliced the 12v+ power from behind the factory headunit, but this is optional.
- PAC Video Switcher requires the cutting of 4-5 wires depending on the vehicle, plus requires 12v+ power as well (for most vehicles). The PAC unit is NOT G35 specific, but is rather universal.

8.) If you are not comfortable enough to install your own units, the installation prices would vary depending on your local car audio shop. Any experienced installer would be able to do the installations without issue. As a dealer for these units, I have heard install prices from customers ranging from $100 to $250.00 and more. I personally always suggest a DIY install to help save on the costs of the system. It also gives a great sense of pride as well.

9.) You can get more information on the AV Electronic unit at www.avelectronic.com, or for information on the PAC unit, please visit www.pac-audio.com. You can also PM me here as well for more information.

Hope this helps.
ikSardarG

---------------------------------
**** Official PAC Aux Input Dealer!!! ****
SWI-X units available also!

Navi-Conversion Kits at Discounted Pricing
*Authorized AV Electronic Dealer*

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 01-28-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for taking the time once again to answer this over asked question.

Kevin
www.KPtechnologies.net
AIM: KPiersonTec
04 DG Coupe / VDC Memory
OEM Remote Window up mod
Procharged / Crawford / TS

Old 10-09-2004, 10:57 PM

Glad I could help Kevin! I too thought it was about time someone did it....

Mods: Feel free to make it a sticky. Also, let me know if anyone has any suggestions as well...

Old 10-10-2004, 01:54 AM

any idea on the resolution and refresh rate of the navi screen? i'm possibly looking into hooking up a carputer using the s-video out or RCA out from the graphics card and into the PAC unit. any ideas how it will look? i've heard you can't even read the text on the screen from the computer.

any input will be helpful.

Steve

2004.5 6MT Coupe -- DG/G -- Aero -- Prem. Pkg. -- Navi -- 20% Tints
Aluminum Drilled Pedals -- Clear Corners -- Zaino -- PIAA Xtreme

Old 10-10-2004, 02:01 AM

Steve,
I can tell you from experience that it would be difficult to read the text on the screen. I only say this because I struggle sometimes to read the text from my hacked xBox as well... It is possible to read it - but it still takes effort. This probably has alot to do with the RCA cable connection though.

Using the S-Video cable may or may not help. I am not quite sure, but I would assume it would... I don't know the exact screen specs either.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:10 AM

thanks for the input. are you running linux on the x-box? ever try messing with the font sizes to see if it comes out more readable? any chance you have a pic that you can post or email me so i get some sort of visual?

Steve

2004.5 6MT Coupe -- DG/G -- Aero -- Prem. Pkg. -- Navi -- 20% Tints
Aluminum Drilled Pedals -- Clear Corners -- Zaino -- PIAA Xtreme

Old 10-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Re:

Sorry but pac-audio doesn't manufacture those units they buy thru one of my distributors. and with their insane mark up and no tech support how can you say they manufacture it. i can say that I manufacture them because I do.

OWNER OF MOBILE ELECTRONICS OF NY

Last edited by Christian; 11-27-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:52 PM

That is like saying McDonalds doesn't manufacture the big mac because they buy the beef(or horse) from an independant farmer. Then complaining the McDonalds doesn't offer "tech support" because you cannot ask them about their cow breeding process.

-JustICE

Old 10-10-2004, 06:03 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Sorry but pac-audio doesn't manufacture those units they buy thru one of my distributors. and with their insane mark up and no tech support how can you say they manufacture it. i can say that I manufacture them because I do.

<hr></blockquote>

So are you saying you did all the design and manufacturing of this unit? If so, what other features do you plan on adding to it? Did you make a mistake with the power plug? It looks like something is missing. Is there protection if you wire the power backwards because of the 2 red wires? If so, what kind of protection? Why did you not make it color coordinated like avelectronics? I have been thinking about getting one but have heard some issues with the power and lines in the screen.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Re:

the features are secret for now,

1 power was made that way so that the plug doesn't come lose from all the vibrations

2 there is no two red wires one is solid red another one i sred with black lines

3 and there is no issues with power or lines on the scrren about 50 people bought my product of this forum and no one copmlaines

OWNER OF MOBILE ELECTRONICS OF NY

Last edited by Christian; 11-27-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:10 PM

"..Sorry but pac-audio doesn't manufacture those units they buy thru one of my distributors. and with their insane mark up and no tech support how can you say they manufacture it...."

vsokolov: Easy. If I go the website and look up the info on the product, it doesn't say "we buy this product from some other manufacturer and re-label as a PAC unit". They buy private labeled products just like every other business...

I could care less where it is manufactured... They have the PAC name on it, and that for me is more than enough that they will stand behind the product. For that reason, I have listed the PAC unit in the write up.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:49 AM

the features are secret for now,

1 power was made that way so that the plug doesn't come lose from all the vibrations

2 there is no two red wires one is solid red another one i sred with black lines

3 and there is no issues with power or lines on the scrren about 50 people bought my product of this forum and no one copmlaines

<hr></blockquote>
Secrets? Okay whatever you say. Why did you not just put a power plug on like any aftermarket radio? It still looks like it was not designed that way. You must have saved money by not using a black wire instead of one with stripes. Are you sure that PAC, navwithtv and convertors.tv all get it from you somehow? Is there protection on the power side? Because I have heard of one screen not working from an accidental reverse wiring. Luckily he taped everything back up and the dealer didn't notice anything and replaced it. Do you have a picture of the blank circuit board?

Old 10-11-2004, 01:04 PM
PAC

No tech support? Where is that written?

Is this you?

HI
My name is Dominic from NavWithTV.com. NavWithTV.com specializes in converting your OEM navigation system screen to a full blown multimedia station capable of playing DVD's , Satellite, or TV while retaining all your OEM navigation system features. Save money by retaining your factory equipment and maximizing usage. I think you will have very good sucess with our product. We Will beat any price on any RGB unit!!! We are the manufacturer and will not be undersold. If you are interested in purchaseing units from us please give us a call at 718-763-7367. We have done thousands of radios and are the people you need to team up with for factory video intergration. I also carry OEM BMW TV-Tuners with video in motion for $899 (the whole kit).
Thanks Dominic

<hr></blockquote>

I've been told this is you.

How can you claim you did thousands of radios when the RGB converter is new. Even the old converter was not stocked enough to cover you and NAV-TV. And you say you manufacture them? Thats funny, we had NAV-TV call us and said they designed it. Are you going to claim you have a patent on it like they did? We asked for the patent number, but thats as far as it got.

Our prices are no where near what NAV-TV prices are for converting the GM nav radio. Our prices to our dealers is one third's of what NAV-TV charges. I hear AVelectronics charges about half of what NAV-TV charges. To our dealers we still are cheaper and have a better solution.

Would you like to buy our VCI-GM1? That way you don't have to have customers send you their radio. No hack, hack jobs neccessary. Plug and play!

And if this is not you, then all I can say is that we do have Techsupport.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Whoa. It's a sticky! I haven't been on here in a long time...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Can I mod my NAV to play DVDs?"