Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Review: Tein Basics, 350Evo Arms, SPC camber kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
New Pics & Another Update: Review: Tein Basics, 350Evo Arms, SPC camber kit

My intent is to share my experience to help others thinking about lowering their sedan to save time and to avoid trial and error. The bottom line is that while I did achieve everything I set out to do, it was a good thing I budgeted for an entire suspension system.

From the outset, I had five deliverables in mind:

1. Improve aesthetics by reducing the SUV-like fender to tire gap.
2. Improve high speed stability; I found the factory Sport Tuned Suspension was maxing out above 90 mph, especially around curves.
3. Improve cornering.
4. Minimal sacrifice in ride quality.
5. Maintain suspension geometry (alignment) to maximize tire wear and handling.

I began researching by reading and contacting this forum and its members, and by speaking with the vendors themselves. My research for my application led me to choose Tein Basics for several reasons:

1. I decided that linear springs were a better fit for my application over progressive springs. While the progressives offer softer ride quality, they just don’t offer the handling performance that linears do. Progressives’ performance is also harder to predict at variable speeds and conditions (as those with adjustable sway bars can tell you).
2. I decided that it was better for my application to pursue a matched damper and spring suspension system sourced from one vendor over mixing damper and springs from multiple vendors. I’m not saying mixing can’t be done, but I felt more comfortable knowing that one vendor performed specific engineering on the dampers and springs as a matched set; in other words, they’re specifically designed to work together.
3. I did not need an electronic or expensive ride comfort adjustable system; just a height adjustable system.
4. The reputation, other reviews, and pre-sales tech support were top notch at Tein.

Since I planned on lowering my car 1.25 to 1.3 inches, I knew that alignment might become an issue. I discovered that the more aggressive coupe alignment specs are better than the sedan’s for a lowered vehicle. After much research, the consensus was that I was taking a gamble; maybe my car would be within spec, maybe not. I planned to take a gamble and install the Tein Basics and get the car aligned. If it didn’t work, then I’d get adjustable front control arms and a rear camber kit. Well of course . . . my alignment was way out of spec after installation and an alignment, and my car pulled to the right.

Here I go again with the research. For the front upper control arms, I looked at Kinetix, Peformance Nissan, Stillen, and 350Evo. Kinetix was half the price of the others, but I did not like the user hostile shim adjustment system nor the construction. The Performance Nissan also used shims, and its Delrin bushings squeak according to the user I asked. The Stillen was a better choice but used Polyurethane bushings which meant more squeak. 350Evo won out because it had metal bushings that don’t squeak, had the most user friendly adjustment system, and was race tested. For the rear, I went with SPC because they designed their system to work like the factory adjustments, and cost a third of every other brand I checked out. After having these systems installed, my alignment was placed to coupe spec without a problem. The car steers straight as an arrow and my tire wear should be normal.

So here’s what I accomplished:

1. The tire gap is gone, but without looking “lowered”. I could have lowered the car more, but the car would have looked slammed because the wheel well would not have naturally arched around the tire.
2. Amazing high speed stability; rock solid way past 90mph. A side benefit was that the ride actually improved and became smoother.
3. Corning is night and day. Not only can I take turns much faster, but the car is totally flat; no body roll or lean.
4. While high speed ride quality is better, low speed quality is mixed. The ride is never harsh, but it is definitely very firm. You will feel bumps and road imperfections “more precisely.” On rough roads, the car will also bounce as the suspension is too firm to adapt to the poor road conditions. Fortunately, I live where the roads are actually quite good, so bounce is not a major issue.
5. I maintained suspension geometry to maximize tire wear and road handling.

Investment:

Tein Basics with shipping $830
Installation: $125
First alignment: $ 50
350Evo arms: $850
SPC rear kit: $250
Installation: $100
Second alignment: $ 50

Total: $2255

Not cheap, but worth the investment to me because it provides the performance, looks, and tire wear I want (regarding tire wear, I could either pay now or pay later).

Next are tires and rims to realize full potential. Hope this review helps.

**UPDATE** It's been over 1,500 miles since installation and alignment and I'm still very very happy. The ride, height, and performance has not changed one bit. Also of interest is that the OEM Goodyear GSD's are pretty darn good (I'm running them 10% above door spec at 33 PSI). I've only been able to make them howl once and that was taking an off-ramp turn at a ridiculously high speed. Despite all my "tests" (of course, when there's zero traffic around) I have yet to activate the VDC or get the tires to howl more than that one time.

At this point, I'm reconsidering whether to even bother changing out rims and tires or even sway bars because I do prefer the "sleeper" look and have yet to really develop a need for them. And yes I am a spirited driver.

***2nd Update*** I retorqued the 350Evo bolts and all were tight and to spec, so I'm done as far as I'm concerned. Also, enjoy the pics.

***3rd Update*** New pics with 18" rims and tires (ALT Racing AT-298 X Factor 18 x 7.5 rims in silver finish; 40mm offset, 73mm hub, 20 lbs.;1010Tires hubcentric rings 73 to 66.06;Yokohama AVS ES100 225/45/18).

2004 Sedan 5AT

Attached Thumbnails Review:  Tein Basics, 350Evo Arms, SPC camber kit-dsc00066r3.jpg  

Last edited by MiamiG35sedan; 12-31-2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Pics of new rims and tires.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent review.. may I ask where you purchased your evo arms and spc rear kit? I was just going to go w/ kinetix as well due to their nice price.. but after reading this, i may want to reconsider

Old 12-23-2004, 03:48 AM
now imagine some sway bars!

Old 12-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by imalazeeass
Excellent review.. may I ask where you purchased your evo arms and spc rear kit? I was just going to go w/ kinetix as well due to their nice price.. but after reading this, i may want to reconsider
No problem. I sourced the evo arms directly from 350evo.com website. I believe their priced dropped to around $810. My tuner shop was VERY impressed with the quality, ease of installation, setup, and instructions that came with these arms.

I sourced the SPC rear camber kit from my tuner shop that did the installation for me. I found it difficult to order this kit directly on-line; in fact, I had to call SPC to get the specific part number associated with this kit. I'm sorry but I don't have the SPC phone number or part number anymore, so you're going to have to do a little research on that part. If you come up empty, I may still have the original boxes in my attic, so if need be I can crawl up in there and see if I can find the number on the box. Just let me know.

Miami

Old 12-25-2004, 02:01 AM
Please do supply the part number for the SPC rear camber kit.
I'm guessing you did not get the rear toe bolts? Were there no issues with the toe angles?

Old 12-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by JKDman
Please do supply the part number for the SPC rear camber kit.
I'm guessing you did not get the rear toe bolts? Were there no issues with the toe angles?

SPC part number 72050. It cost me $125 at my tuner shop and included the bolts and arms. My toe angle was fine (remember, I had my sedan set to coupe specs).

Old 12-25-2004, 10:23 PM
here you go.. https://www.iapdirect.com/catalog_it...ension&catid=1

210 for both.. pretty good! I just ordered from them.. have not received them yet though.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:47 PM
sweet review, with plenty of helpful information.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:14 AM
here you go.. https://www.iapdirect.com/catalog_it...ension&catid=1

210 for both.. pretty good! I just ordered from them.. have not received them yet though.

FYI: Here's the manufacturer website of the SPC 72050 camber kit http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/PROD_PRODNUMBER.HTML

Last edited by MiamiG35sedan; 12-26-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:53 PM

Was that really necessary to get the camber and toe back into specs? Or is it just enough to have the rear SPC? How much was installtion on the Evo arms and the rear SPC or was it a DIY?

Great review.. thumbs up =)

Old 12-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by lucidazn

Was that really necessary to get the camber and toe back into specs? Or is it just enough to have the rear SPC? How much was installtion on the Evo arms and the rear SPC or was it a DIY?

Great review.. thumbs up =)
Yes, the $850 (now $807) was really necessary to get the camber back in spec (toe was not a problem). The factory control arms provide zero ability to adjust camber, and with my final drop of around 1.4", it was way out of any spec. My tuner shop charged me $100 for installing both the arms and the rear SPC kit. I'm mechanically inclined (and have done other engine mods etc on my G), but suspension is kind of difficult and cumbersome in a home garage by yourself. Both can be a DIY, but the other thing to consider is that the rear SPC kit requires drilling out the existing camber bolt holes in your frame. If you don't have experience, you may not want to take a chance, plus the special bit needed costs around $50 anyways. For $100 and 2.5 hours wait, it was worth it.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Pics and another update!

For those interested, please see my original post for pics and another update.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Angry I want your Z/G Coupe OEM suspension parts!

Guys, if you went with the SPC 72050 or Stillen Toe/Camber kits I need your help! I want to buy your old OEM rear suspension parts.

On my G35 Sport Coupe I bent the two right rear suspension toe and camber rods. It looks like everything else is intact.

You can see my original WTB request here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43453

Please email me at toekit at davemathews.com if you have any of these old parts that you can help me out with! Dallas people are especially wanted if I could do a pickup ASAP!

Dave

Old 03-03-2005, 12:10 AM
thats weird, when i installed my spc for the rear, the guy didnt do any drilling?

Old 03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
thats weird, when i installed my spc for the rear, the guy didnt do any drilling?
I have an early production '04 (built in mid-03). The later production '04's do not require drilling for the SPC kit because the factory changed the bolt size.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review: Tein Basics, 350Evo Arms, SPC camber kit