TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jls2442- keep us posted. I have an OC 2006 MT that consumes oil. Haven't done an OC test at the dealership, but I know if burns oil. Probably about a QT every 1300-1500 miles.

Anyways, keep us posted on the outcome of your extended warrant? Who is the warranty provider (even though you said it was through BMW)?

The following users liked this post:
jls2442 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaxa07
jls2442- keep us posted. I have an OC 2006 MT that consumes oil. Haven't done an OC test at the dealership, but I know if burns oil. Probably about a QT every 1300-1500 miles.

Anyways, keep us posted on the outcome of your extended warrant? Who is the warranty provider (even though you said it was through BMW)?
Will do. My 05 6MT was a trade-in at a BMW dealership. The warranty was provided from the dealership through a third party provider called The Warranty Group (sounds kinda iffy)... The good thing is I have the "Platinum" package which covers:
  • engine
  • transmission
  • front wheel drive
  • rear wheel drive
  • steering
  • suspension
  • brakes
  • electrical
  • air conditioning
  • on board computers, etc.

I'm just hoping they live up to their end of the bargain... I'll be sure to capture the process as I go and hopefully others in the same position can use it as a process guide.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by jls2442
Will do. My 05 6MT was a trade-in at a BMW dealership. The warranty was provided from the dealership through a third party provider called The Warranty Group (sounds kinda iffy)... The good thing is I have the "Platinum" package which covers:
  • engine
  • transmission
  • front wheel drive
  • rear wheel drive
  • steering
  • suspension
  • brakes
  • electrical
  • air conditioning
  • on board computers, etc.

I'm just hoping they live up to their end of the bargain... I'll be sure to capture the process as I go and hopefully others in the same position can use it as a process guide.

WE COVER IT ALL! That pretty much sums up everything, what did you pay!?!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
WE COVER IT ALL! That pretty much sums up everything, what did you pay!?!
To be honest, when I was shopping I was trying to decided between three dealerships that had an 05.

I got the dealership to compete against each other and, ultimately, the dealership that I ended up purchasing from threw in the warranty at no charge!!! Done deal at that point

Still, I've never used a warranty like this so I'm expecting the warranty provider to try and pull some BS. Just a bit cautious is all...

Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck, check the description of your warrantee. These aftermarket warrantee companies usually make a big deal about wheel bearings. They are gonna put 3 people to work trying to figure out how this OC issue can be resolved without replacing the engine .

In the end if your warrantee says engine components you will have no problem.
My third party warrantor rebuilt my engine. Total cost of rebuild 6.5K of which I paid 2.5k. The other option was a scrap yard motor, no thanks. I'm in court tomorrow suing the former owner who did not tell me about the oil consumption issue. We had signed a contract of which he did not tell me of this "hidden defect". I'm going to win! Good luck!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$6.5k for a rebuild...sounds a little crazy....

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaxa07
$6.5k for a rebuild...sounds a little crazy....
I know, the engine rebuilder charged the insurance company 2k just to tear apart and then put the engine back together!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
My third party warrantor rebuilt my engine. Total cost of rebuild 6.5K of which I paid 2.5k. The other option was a scrap yard motor, no thanks. I'm in court tomorrow suing the former owner who did not tell me about the oil consumption issue. We had signed a contract of which he did not tell me of this "hidden defect". I'm going to win! Good luck!
I hope you did not spend $6.5k of the insurance money or your $2.5k on a stock motor. Import parts pro carries a stage 1 which can handle power up to 500hp or 650whp with ARP L19 studs.

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1vqloblni3.html

Product Description

This Stage 1 VQ35 Long Block is good for someone who wants a solid stock rebuild or a low compression and stronger motor for turbo charging or super charging their Nissan 350z or Infiniti G35. The stage 1 package is good for up to 600-650 Rwhp(with added L19 Head studs). The Stage 1 VQ35 Long block comes with a full one year warranty against machining defects and comes with our 16+ years experience on building Nissan/Infiniti motors.

This Package includes:

Item# VQ-Stage1-Long
Regular price: $5,500.00
Your price: $4,825.00

Wiseco Pistons .020 over
Eagle/SCAT H Beam Rods
ARP Rod Bolts

Block inspected and cleaned
Block redecked
Block modified for better cooling with HR Headgaskets
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Rotating assembly balanced
Crank magnafluxed and the journals micro-polished
New Moly coated Race Spec main bearings installed
New Moly coated Race Spec rod bearings installed

Block prepped and assembled
New OEM HR Head Gaskets
Heads inspected and cleaned
Heads redecked
Ported exhaust and intake runners
3 angle valve job
New OEM Valve stem seals installed
Valve Stem Heights set
Cold Clearance set for stock cams
Heads prepped and assembled
New OEM Rev-up Oil Pump

Engine will come with Heads bolted to block and torqued to spec

Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't checked this thread in ages, but has anyone in here considered running a vented oil catch can and called it a day?

Old 05-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck, check the description of your warrantee. These aftermarket warrantee companies usually make a big deal about wheel bearings. They are gonna put 3 people to work trying to figure out how this OC issue can be resolved without replacing the engine .

In the end if your warrantee says engine components you will have no problem.
Not trying to sound dumb, but I am pretty young. I got a 05 coupe and after I bought it the guy told me one day he noticed it had started to burn oil. It is at 85k mi and I am pretty sure its out of any type of warranty. Is there a way to purchase a warranty through infinity and if not how do you go about getting a third party warranty to cover factory tsb's? Thanks

Old 05-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
^^^Thats some B/S really.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:28 PM
The answer I got after bringing the TSB up was that my car was out of warrenty and over 60,000 miles so it would cost me money. My question is if replacing the pistons and honing the cylinders would fix the issue? From what I have read is that the burning of oil occurs when the piston rings don't form a good enough seal and allow oil to be pushed through to the inside of the cylinder while the PCV wasn't able to fully relieve the amount of pressure that builds up from the blow by gas that enters the crank. Ultimately both problems are formed from rings not doing their job, the cylinder not being perfectly round, or the cylinder is slightly too big. My buddy told me of another situation with a motor burning oil because the valves wouldn't seal properly and allow oil from the cams to enter the cylinder. Either way I really want my issue to be fixxed one way or another and run without problems from a half a$$ed fix.

I quit burning oil after I started to use heavier oil that was recommended by the local dealer, but that lead to other problems.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Engine packages are customizable to match your goals. Here are two samples of common configurations:

Stage 1 Short Block packages start at $2765 and include CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, ACL Bearings, machining, align hone, balance, blueprint and pro assembly!

Stage 1 Long Block packages start at $3690 and include the Stage1 Short Block, ARP L19 Head Studs, ARP Main Studs, Cometic Head Gaskets, Mill & Clean Heads and assembly.

http://my350z.com/forum/engine/51070...ur-engine.html

http://www.importpartspro.com/vqloblpa.html

http://www.importpartspro.com/shblpa.html

http://my350z.com/forum/engine/47208...eeds-here.html

Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Fair23, have you done business with them?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:19 PM
No I have not done business with any of those vendors. I have heard good things about Import Parts Pro from local DFW members. Since they are in Spring, TX if I needed a new engine I would drive down and do a core swap on the spot with them. Many folks have run an IPP engines with out any issues. Dynosty has a good reputation as well on the forums. I would research on my350z since they do more engine work than G35 folks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB