TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't know IPP was in the DFW area. I will prolly just wait til I get back in that area to get a motor. I am looking for a house in TX anyway. Awesome man thanks!!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Not DFW. Spring Tx

Import Parts Pro

Suite E, 19505 Wied Road, Spring, TX 77388
(281) 288-0700

Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
Not DFW. Spring Tx

Import Parts Pro

Suite E, 19505 Wied Road, Spring, TX 77388
(281) 288-0700
My bad. That is funny. I was reading that while my house was trying to break the sound barrier. Anyway, thanks again for the info. I didn't look at where they were when I passed through their website. I looked at parts for comparison prices and bounced. Cool stuff though.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Exodus5656
The answer I got after bringing the TSB up was that my car was out of warrenty and over 60,000 miles so it would cost me money. My question is if replacing the pistons and honing the cylinders would fix the issue? From what I have read is that the burning of oil occurs when the piston rings don't form a good enough seal and allow oil to be pushed through to the inside of the cylinder while the PCV wasn't able to fully relieve the amount of pressure that builds up from the blow by gas that enters the crank. Ultimately both problems are formed from rings not doing their job, the cylinder not being perfectly round, or the cylinder is slightly too big. My buddy told me of another situation with a motor burning oil because the valves wouldn't seal properly and allow oil from the cams to enter the cylinder. Either way I really want my issue to be fixxed one way or another and run without problems from a half a$$ed fix.

I quit burning oil after I started to use heavier oil that was recommended by the local dealer, but that lead to other problems.
So is it worth it pursue this series of small fixes (hone/new rings/new PCV) or better to buy a rebuilt short block or just dump in a quart every couple of months?

The following users liked this post:
SIKKI (03-05-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Neither is a "Small Fix", the former requires complete disassembly of the engine and the other requires removal and replacement.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
It depends on what you want from the car. Are you going to go FI, rebuild it. If you are just driving it and enjoying it as is, just add oil. If it is really buggin you out sell it or rebuild it.

A quart over a couple of months is actually good!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JKL1031
It depends on what you want from the car. Are you going to go FI, rebuild it. If you are just driving it and enjoying it as is, just add oil. If it is really buggin you out sell it or rebuild it.

A quart over a couple of months is actually good!
^ what he said.

I've owned mine (06 G35 Coupe 6MT) for 9 years and 120k miles. I add a quart of oil every 1500 miles since the day I bought it. She is UpRev tuned with all the Motordyne bolt ons and I have personally done all my services to her regularly. She had not a single drop of oil on the plugs when I've changed them. And I drive her as she's supposed to hard but smart (let her warm up, etc). I have yet to have a single issue (knock on wood) and is still on the stock clutch. She is now my DD and winter driver since I got the 911 turbo.

So a quart over a couple of months (not sure how many miles that is) is not that big a deal. At least for me it wasn't. When I had the chance to get her repaired under warranty, I decided against it. Why? Because she was running great and I didnt trust those morons to do it right and avoid something else from developing due to their incompetence. Thus far and 9 years later, my decision has proven to have been a wise one.

I plan to drive her till her last day. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Check your oil every second fill up, top it up, change it every 3500 miles and enjoy her.

Cheers.

Tyke420 (06-21-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Neither is a "Small Fix", the former requires complete disassembly of the engine and the other requires removal and replacement.
You're right. I suppose I meant it was smaller than a complete rebuild/swap.

Based on the other responses I think I'll just keep adding oil as I go unless I find a killer deal for a rebuild/swap.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2005 6MT 123k mi. Have been running premium since I got it. My first 1000 miles it consumed a quart of oil. I pulled the PCV valve and shook it. It kind of rattled a little bit when I shook it, but not freely because It was full of oil. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and it now rattled freely again.

Ended up just buying a new one at Autozone for about $10 instead of continuing to use the old one. I have now driven 300 miles since I topped it off and the oil is still reading full.

Edit to add that I'm now at 1,000 miles since I topped off and the oil level has moved 1/8" on the dip stick. 2nd edit: I changed the oil at 1,225 and the level hasn't changed since the last update. I did spray out the PCV valve again at the oil change. Now at 500 miles and it hasn't budged. I think it's safe to say my OC issue has been resolved, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

I was reading up on PCV delete options and vented oil catch cans and all I needed was a new PCV valve. Seems like my PCV valve was sticking and sucking oil into the plenum and burning it off, not the bad poiston ring issue a lot of people have.

I'll be sure to keep checking the oil though incase it gets clogged again.

Last edited by Xenogy; 07-30-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
300 miles not enough good luck

Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Xenogy
I just bought a 2005 6MT 123k mi. Have been running premium since I got it. My first 1000 miles it consumed a quart of oil. I pulled the PCV valve and shook it. It kind of rattled a little bit when I shook it, but not freely because It was full of oil. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and it now rattled freely again.

Ended up just buying a new one at Autozone for about $10 instead of continuing to use the old one. I have now driven 300 miles since I topped it off and the oil is still reading full.

I was reading up on PCV delete options and vented oil catch cans and all I needed was a new PCV valve. Seems like my PCV valve was sticking and sucking oil into the plenum and burning it off, not the bad poiston ring issue a lot of people have.

I'll be sure to keep checking the oil though incase it gets clogged again.
I clean my PCV valve every OCI being it's always drenched in oil and bearly rattles if at all.

I've been running an oil catch can for years which collects ~ 6-8oz of oil every 5K miles (my OCI running 10w-30 Synth). Better in can than through my plenum and on intake valves I say.

I've found that the older the oil gets, the faster the consumption rate. Fuel dilution in oil (caused by blow-by through rings) IMHO is the main contributor to that. Fuel dilution absolutely thrashs oil visocity and depletes it's base number as time goes on = more blow-by at a faster rate (vicious cycle).

You may want to consider a used oil analysis just to see whats up inside your VQ.

Congrats on your 05 6MT. I have a 06 6MT original owner and still lovin it

Old 06-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Related:

Excessive oil consumption isn't normal

Automakers say adding oil between scheduled changes is acceptable. It's not.

Published: June 30, 2015 06:00 AM

Cars under warranty shouldn’t burn oil. And most don’t.

But Consumer Reports’ 2014 Annual Auto Survey found that several auto manufacturers are building engines—available in a number of widely sold models—that require frequently topping off the oil reservoir between recommended oil changes. That’s a worry and cost that a new-car owner shouldn’t have.

The oil-change industry has long prescribed changing your oil every 3,000 miles. In recent years, most automakers have stretched that to 7,500 or even 10,000 miles because refinements in engine manufacturing and oil technology purportedly allow engine oil to last longer.

For some automakers, though, that appears to be an optimistic claim. In our survey of owners of about 1 million vehicles stretching back 10 years, we found that for certain models, significant numbers of consumers have to add a quart of oil to their engines as frequently as every month.

It’s normal for cars to burn a little oil as they age toward 100,000 miles and beyond. But Consumer Reports believes that for an almost new car to burn that excessive amount of oil is unacceptable.

We focused on 498,900 vehicles from the 2010 to 2014 model years, many of which are still under their powertrain warranty. Several engines emerged as the main offenders: Audi’s 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and 3.0-liter V6, BMW’s 4.8-liter V8 and twin-*turbocharged 4.4-liter V8, and to a lesser extent Subaru’s 3.6-liter six-cylinder and 2.0- and 2.5-liter four-cylinders.

Those engines are in models such as the Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A5, Audi A6, and Audi Q5; BMW 5, BMW 6, and BMW 7 series, and BMW X5; and Subaru Forester, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Legacy, and Subaru Outback.

The worst case showed that, overall, owners of BMW 5 Series vehicles with V8 engines were 27 times as likely to suffer excessive oil consumption as owners of an average vehicle.

Already, some manufacturers are facing off against angry consumers who are finding that carmakers aren’t backing up their products.

How much is too much?

Audi, BMW, and Subaru stick firmly to the statement that oil consumption is a normal part of a car’s operation. Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable.

If a driver has to add a quart of oil once per month, that can mean adding up to 7 to 9 quarts of oil between oil changes. Those costs due to excessive oil consumption can add up because automakers more frequently require synthetic oils that can cost upwards of $9 per quart—in addition to the expense of the routine oil changes.

Consumer Reports data does not show a direct connection between increased oil consumption and other engine problems. But our survey data concerning 10 model years shows that if a car burns oil early in its life, it will burn even more as it ages. In tracking oil consumption by model year, engine families show increased consumption with each successive year on the road.

Having to add oil isn’t a problem that will necessarily strand you by the side of the road if you are vigilant about monitoring your oil levels. But we think it’s a serious problem that automakers should address.

Not all engines suffer from this problem. In fact, our data shows that owners of 98 percent of 2010 to 2014 cars did not have to add oil between changes. But the cars that do burn oil do so furiously. Even if only 2 percent of vehicles sold since 2010 have this problem, that still represents about 1.5 million vehicles on the road.

Consumer Reports believes that any engine that burns oil between changes should be repaired under the powertrain warranty. But automakers often shield themselves in the fine print of their owners’ manuals.

What carmakers are doing about excessive oil consumption

In some cases, when confronted by a customer complaint, the manufacturer has authorized a dealer to repair, rebuild, or replace the engine under warranty. In other cases, though, some manufacturers are defending the oil consumption as falling within the car’s technical specifications—or they blame the car’s owner for his or her driving habits.

Shelly Shugars, a training director from Tivoli, N.Y., bought a new 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport hatchback and had her first oil change done on schedule when it hit its first 3,000 miles. But since that oil change, she says she has been adding a quart of oil every 800 to 1,000 miles. Shugars says her Subaru dealer told her that her car’s oil consumption is normal, although the automaker offered her $500 for her trouble. Rebuilding the engine to fix the problem would cost far more.

Shugars is far from alone. Subaru and Audi are in the midst of class-action lawsuits regarding the problem.

Subaru’s director of corporate commu-*nications, Michael McHale, said in an e-mailed statement, “The rate of consumption can be affected by such factors as transmission type, driving style, terrain, and temperature.”

For consumers who complain about excessive oil consumption, Subaru has authorized its dealers to perform oil-*consumption tests to determine whether the vehicle is performing outside of manufacturer specifications. Subaru began modifying its engines on certain models starting in 2010 but took until 2014 to modify others.

Meanwhile, a settlement to a class-action lawsuit against Audi would extend the power*train warranty on its 2009 to 2011 model-year CAEB 2.0-liter turbo engines to eight years or 80,000 miles. Audi declined to comment on the litigation or oil-*consumption problems in general. Our data shows that newer Audi 2.0-liter turbos and V6 engines are also burning oil.

In a recent technical service bulletin, Audi recommended that “the customer always have a spare quart of engine oil in case the engine oil needs topping off while on the road.”

BMW outlines such consumption as part of its manufacturer specifications. You can even purchase a traveling case for oil, to affix in the car’s trunk.

“Oil consumption is normal on all engines,” BMW spokesman Hector Arellano-Belloc said in an e-mailed statement. “BMW vehicles have long intervals between oil changes (10,000 miles). BMW engines (excluding the BMW M) may consume up to one quart of engine oil per 750 miles under certain driving conditions.” He added that BMW’s M performance models may consume even more oil than that.

Other manufacturers that have shown instances of oil consumption are taking corrective action.

Honda recently issued a warranty extension to eight years or 125,000 miles for 2008 to 2011 Accord and 2010 to 2011 CR-V four-cylinder engines. Honda said it had found that sticking piston rings could lead to higher oil consumption if the engine is revved hard when cold, when combined with prolonged usage of low-quality gasoline.

And following the filing of a class-action lawsuit in California regarding its four-*cylinder 2AZ-FE engines sold in some 2007 to 2011 models, Toyota amended its powertrain warranty on those engines to 10 years or 150,000 miles. A Toyota representative said, “This program provides complete relief to owners who are currently affected, as well as those who have previously paid for repairs.”

Automakers are facing a dilemma: They want to reduce ownership costs and the ecological impact of their cars. Used engine oil can pose an hazard if not properly discarded, and internal combustion engines rely on routine changes. But wait too long to change your oil and it can foul—turning to sludge and damaging your engine.

Some consumers we followed up with told us they would not have bought their oil-burning cars had they known they would be checking their oil so often. A recent CR national survey of 542 American owners of a 2000 to 2016 model-year vehicle showed that 39 percent either never check their oil or only have it checked when taken in for service.

If consumers are being denied repairs and rebuilds on engines that consume too much oil, those cars could end up unloaded onto used-car lots by folks sick of adding oil. That just passes the problem on to the next owner.

If a car does consume oil under warranty, Consumer Reports believes the automaker should cover the repair costs for current owners and pay to top off the oil in between changes—and not just improve the engine’s design for future buyers.

Burning up

The chart shows the percentages of surveyed vehicles that needed at least a quart of oil added between oil changes, sorted by model year. The chart does not include vehicles that leaked oil.

The thirsty 30

According to data from Consumer Reports’ 2014 Annual Auto Survey of owners of 498,900 vehicles from 2010 to 2014 model years, these 30 models have much higher rates of oil consumption overall than the average for their model years.

Last edited by Texasscout; 06-30-2015 at 11:26 AM.
ErikNYC (07-02-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Can't get no satisfaction?

If your car requires frequent topping off of its oil due to excessive oil consumption, you might have recourse from the automaker.

Take your car to your dealer, along with receipts for oil changes and oil purchased between oil-change intervals. Ask whether your car is eligible for repairs under any customer-satisfaction campaign or technical service bulletin.

Even then, the dealer may want to conduct an oil-consumption test before offering to perform repairs under warranty.

The test measures how much oil you consume over several weeks of driving. If your car’s oil consumption exceeds the manufacturer specifications and it’s still under its original powertrain warranty, Consumer Reports believes the dealer should repair or replace the engine free of charge. Some extended warranties will cover the problem. However, if your car is consuming oil, but at a rate less than the manufacturer guidelines state is excessive, you could be in for a legal battle.

If that is so, you may want to consult an attorney regarding lemon-law statutes. Also check to see whether your car is a part of an excessive oil consumption class-action suit already in progress.

Editor's Note: This article also appeared in the August 2015 issue of Consumer Reports magazine

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

Old 07-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Whats the easiest and quickest ways to tell if a used G35 has the OC issues? I am trying to purchase an 05 sedan 6MT with 70000 miles and want to check if it has the OC issue. I know you can check if oil is leaking into the plugs, or if the exhaust tips are black from the burned oil but are there any other easy tells?

I am asking for all service records but this would be through a private sale so I am going to assume they have very minimal paperwork.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:46 PM
There really isn't. The only way would be to write it into the sales contract, that if it uses X amount of oil within X amount of time/miles, the sale is null and void or the sales price is reduced by X amount.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB