Install Backup Camera Using Stock Non Nav AV Harness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Install Backup Camera Using Stock Non Nav AV Harness?

i tried this in the tech section but it seems like that section is less frequented than the main areas so here we go....

so i purchased a backup camera (OEM) and the rear trim to put it in and i've been poking through the shop manuals and i can't quite find the answer to one question on this....

it looks easy enough to just tap onto the wire for the backup camera image that goes into the stock non nav AV harness and just power the camera from the reverse lights, however, i cannot find a clear definition of whether the image input toggles to the backup camera once a signal/voltage is detected on the camera image pin in the radio harness or whether the AV communication signal between the camera control unit and stereo is what toggles the display input to the camera image.

any takers? i think it's probably done via the communication line and maybe i can simulate that with a low voltage but i would have to do some more digging.

i had considered doing the PAC NIS route but would love to save $250 if i can...

thanks!

Bob

Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
You have Bose prem pgk?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey OP, where did you get the oem back up cam and trim, I am interested in purchasing one as well (bose premium package non nav)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 PM
muyrec - no i don't have the Bose package. just a stock system. per the shop manual the pin that is designated as the backup camera image is present but unassigned in the base package. the difference may also physically lie in the stereo itself but the PAC NIS can be used with a stock system so it would seem to me that the wiring to the screen is still there, whether you have a stock system or premium or nav....

samsizzle - just shop around on ebay. picked up the whole deal for around $200-$220.

i'll probably pull the stereo out this weekend and see what i can find. if there is physically no wire going into the pin on the harness for the camera then i'll probably go the PAC NIS route since i also have a little science project going on with converting a regular garmin to working on the stock screen for GPS capabilities, the PAC NIS would be helpful for this since it has dual inputs.

ill come back after all is said and done and let everybody know what i found.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good.

I installed a BOYO backup camera into the license plate bracket, but don't like how I have no reference point when parking (i.e. I can't see the bumper). I bought the camera trim piece, so I am going to try transplanting it into there.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, theres GOTTA be a way to install that OEM camera just how it is stock as if it came with the car. i've never taken my stereo unit out or anything, but this has to be more plug and play than people make it out to be. if you can get the camera, trim, and wire thats long enough to go from camera in rear to front head unit, then it can't be that hard. and OP is saying it only cost him like 250 for those parts. i wish i knew the first thing about car electronics ughhh i would try this in a heart beat. btw, i have nav but not camera. i would seriously pay up to $1,000 to have an OEM camera put in.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....and what is this and what does it do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infiniti-G35-G37-NAV-Video-Converter-DVD-Back-Up-Camera-/380194970365?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588562dafd#ht_1713wt_686

Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
muyrec - no i don't have the Bose package. just a stock system. per the shop manual the pin that is designated as the backup camera image is present but unassigned in the base package. the difference may also physically lie in the stereo itself but the PAC NIS can be used with a stock system so it would seem to me that the wiring to the screen is still there, whether you have a stock system or premium or nav....

samsizzle - just shop around on ebay. picked up the whole deal for around $200-$220.

i'll probably pull the stereo out this weekend and see what i can find. if there is physically no wire going into the pin on the harness for the camera then i'll probably go the PAC NIS route since i also have a little science project going on with converting a regular garmin to working on the stock screen for GPS capabilities, the PAC NIS would be helpful for this since it has dual inputs.

ill come back after all is said and done and let everybody know what i found.
Ah i get you. Going through the AV section of the manual on page 405 and onward shows you info on the wiring. It doesn't seem to use the CAN communication system for the camera. Just a straight AV control unit-> Camera -> Display Unit setup as indicated on page 327 in AV.pdf. It should be fairly easy. I'll be waiting for the results.

Last edited by muyrec; 06-22-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
loving this thread! I've got the Bose non-nav package myself and want to install a backup camera/ rear trim as well! I'm also thinking of trying to combine my radar remote control and Garmin into one "unit"... but y'all have been talking about PAC NIS? What is this?

It would be mega awesome if there was a way to see my garmin, radar, and hopeful backup camera off of the stock screen... who knows?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 AM
I installed a garmin navigation and backup camera to my non-nav screen.

I used a Garmin GVN-53 in the trunk and currently have a BOYO license plate camera in the rear. I have the wiring come up to the front of the car and plugged into the center console's composite RCA video/audio in.

Since there is only one video-input and I didn't want the backup camera to be on all the time, I used a DPDT switch to toggle which video I want (nav or cam). The reason I used a DPDT over a SPDT switch is so that the backup camera is only powered on when the switch is on the camera side. I mounted the switch in between the heated seat buttons (where the SNOW button for AWD would be).

I'd give the install 2 out of 5 stars for difficulty. It was actually really easy to install everything - just time consuming getting the wiring tucked away and making the wiring for the DPDT switch (which is completely optional).

Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Now that I think about it, for those of you who would want the screen to automatically switch to backup camera while in AUX mode, you could simply replace the switch I mentioned in my previous post to a relay (connected to 12v backup signal).

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
by using that interface adapter (oem one), will it display the lines and what not like the cars that already come with it? The only way this would be beneficial is if it has those lines that turn to show you where you are going and distance.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
mikaly - i really do love the gvn53 install, but it bugs me i can't find it for cheaper anywhere, plus i'm lamenting the lack of touchscreen interfacing on it. but i did read on another forum that someone wired a touchscreen overlay to work with the gvn53 but i couldn't find any real details. i guess it would be a matter of just wiring it to the directional and enter buttons.... i'm still left wondering though whether the presence of a signal on that pin in the av harness will toggle the screen to the camera image or whether it's the communication line between the camera control unit and the head unit.

a momentary closure relay would certainly work to actuate the camera image in reverse. wire it in parallel with the aux button so that either can trigger a change of the display input. use the 12V reverse power to trigger the coil and voila, you got yourself an automatic switch. the relay would have to actuate upon loss of power also though, to swap the input back. i belive tyco makes several solid state relays that do this.

markk132 - i assume you're not being sarcastic...eatsleepdrum - that 'gadget' allows you to hook up a camera AND a second video input to the stock screen. it is wired up so that putting the car in reverse automatically switches it to the camera input, and an additional toggle switch on the unit allows you to switch from the stock display to input #2 (which could be a dvd player, PS3, garmin blackbox, whatever).

i want to try and save money and not go that route, but as i mentioned i am working on an experiment with my garmin that may necesitate me getting it.

samsizzle - no, it will not display the guidance lines i wish it would. you need the steering angle sensor and camera control unit for that. i really don't feel like spending the money. although i saw an after market camera the other day that supposedly does display the lines but i did not read up on how it does it. there are units that you can add on to display the distance from whatever is behind you. that will be a later mod for me.

i really do believe this should be doable without using the aux button and without *too* much modification but i guess ill have to find out the hard way.

muyrec - hopefully you're right. it does appear that is how it works but i guess there is always the possibility there is more to it. hopefully this weekend it will get done!!

thanks guys!

bob

Last edited by RemmyZero; 06-22-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
...i want to try and save money and not go that route, but as i mentioned i am working on an experiment with my garmin that may necesitate me getting it...
Hi

I am really interested in how the portable Garmin experiment goes for you. I agree, the GVN is too expensive for what it is. Supply and demand pricing, I suppose.

I recently dismantled my old Garmin C330 thinking along the same lines. The Sat. receiver, audio, power supply and battery are very straight forward and easy to modify as needed. The problem I ran into was I could not determine how to get the video from the Garmin to the RCA or any other type of video out. The video in the C330 is circuit board connections.

Details of how you get it working would be praised (at least by me) on this forum.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by markk132
....and what is this and what does it do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infiniti-G35-G37...#ht_1713wt_686
That unit is an RGB converter. It appears to take 2 video inputs signals and converts them to RGB for the stock nav screen. The picture however seems to show a VGA connector for a PC.

It also looks like it is plug and play directly into the LCD harness, so no wire cutting or nav hack is required if you want to view video GAUGES on the LCD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Install Backup Camera Using Stock Non Nav AV Harness?