Help with wheel and tire sizing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help with wheel and tire sizing

I bought my 2007 G35S just under a year ago. I noticed that the tires on the car were identical in size when I got it, however the wheels are OEM (which from my understanding are always staggered). The front wheels are a different brand than the back so I'm guessing these wheels were replaced separately at some point. But shouldn't the tire sizes be different if these wheels are staggered?

Anyway, I'm in the process of purchasing new wheels and tires. I've been looking at the 19" TSW Snetterton and TSW Zolder. I know a few have purchased these wheels so I'm looking for help in specific sizing.

Also, what are people's thoughts on staggered vs. non-staggered. I'm assuming if my wheels are currently staggered then I'll have to purchase wheels that are staggered? Or is it possible to replace these OEM staggered wheels with non-staggered ones?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Best,
Nate

Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
The factory staggered setup is done primarily for better handling. Given the Sport's stiffer suspension, the car will be little more tail happy (oversteer) with a wider grip patch on the front, so they make the rears a bit wider to compensate (manufacturers HATE oversteer!). Unless you drive your car aggressively, you'd probably never notice it though. People can and do replace the staggered wheels on them all the time, usually so they can rotate their tires for better treadlife.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
The factory staggered setup is done primarily for better handling. Given the Sport's stiffer suspension, the car will be little more tail happy (oversteer) with a wider grip patch on the front, so they make the rears a bit wider to compensate (manufacturers HATE oversteer!). Unless you drive your car aggressively, you'd probably never notice it though. People can and do replace the staggered wheels on them all the time, usually so they can rotate their tires for better treadlife.
what are most people's preferences over staggered vs. non-staggered wheels? I was thinking about going non-staggered for better treadlife.

Additionally, the stock wheels that come with this car are staggered correct? But it seems like the tires are no. I'm assuming that was a mistake by the previous owner?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Nate503

1) what are most people's preferences over staggered vs. non-staggered wheels?

2) I was thinking about going non-staggered for better treadlife.

3) Additionally, the stock wheels that come with this car are staggered correct?

4) But it seems like the tires are no. I'm assuming that was a mistake by the previous owner?
1) The answers to this question are highly subjective, so they are highly variable. I'd say what you prefer is more important.

2) Non-staggered fitment will definitely allow for tire rotation and hence greater treadlife. That is definitely a reasonable approach.

3) If your car is an S model, then it came with staggered wheels. For more info on the stock attributes of your car you can look here: http://infinitihelp.com/models/2007/...ifications.php

4) Again, given the subjectiveness of this question, there is not really a single answer as to whether it was a mistake or not. Just because the wheels are different widths between the front and back, and the manufacturer intended them to be used with different width tires, does not mean that the consumer has to stay with the same size tire when he or she replaces them. There is a practical limit to what tire size ranges work best for a particular wheel width, but there is enough overlap of the ranges that you can run the rear width tires on the front as well, OR the front width on the rear. There will be some handling compromises either way, but again, not particularly noticeable unless you're driving agressively. Regardless of what tire strategy you choose, due to the car's traction control system, ABS, speedo, etc., one thing you need to consider is overall tire diameter/circumference; you want the fronts to be as close as possible to the rears.

You might want to poke around here a bit, as this is all fairly basic information and readily available with a bit of searching.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM
1) The answers to this question are highly subjective, so they are highly variable. I'd say what you prefer is more important.

2) Non-staggered fitment will definitely allow for tire rotation and hence greater treadlife. That is definitely a reasonable approach.

3) If your car is an S model, then it came with staggered wheels. For more info on the stock attributes of your car you can look here: http://infinitihelp.com/models/2007/...ifications.php

4) Again, given the subjectiveness of this question, there is not really a single answer as to whether it was a mistake or not. Just because the wheels are different widths between the front and back, and the manufacturer intended them to be used with different width tires, does not mean that the consumer has to stay with the same size tire when he or she replaces them. There is a practical limit to what tire size ranges work best for a particular wheel width, but there is enough overlap of the ranges that you can run the rear width tires on the front as well, OR the front width on the rear. There will be some handling compromises either way, but again, not particularly noticeable unless you're driving agressively. Regardless of what tire strategy you choose, due to the car's traction control system, ABS, speedo, etc., one thing you need to consider is overall tire diameter/circumference; you want the fronts to be as close as possible to the rears.

You might want to poke around here a bit, as this is all fairly basic information and readily available with a bit of searching.
I appreciate your feedback. I totally understand that it's all subjective input. But that's what I'm looking for. I'd like to hear sides from everybody.

May I ask what you're wheel and tire fitment looks like on your G? Just out of curiosity.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM
I appreciate your feedback. I totally understand that it's all subjective input. But that's what I'm looking for. I'd like to hear sides from everybody.

May I ask what you're wheel and tire fitment looks like on your G? Just out of curiosity.
Sure, I understand Nate, but please be aware that there a 100X more postings about preferences out there in other threads than the typical few you will be able to garner from this thread. Search, and research are your best friend if you want a wide cross section.

My car has the original staggered Sport wheels that it came with; shod with Michelin PSS's in the stock staggered sizes.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
I like the look of the staggered setups better, and like VQ mentioned the added tire contact area in the back will help w/ oversteer and general stability. Here's a pic of my staggered G, I'm pretty staggered though w/ 245/35/20 in front and 295/30/20 out back & dropped about 1.7" on coils.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
At this point I'm planning to go non-staggered for the sake of tread life.

However, I am curious. Is it possible to get a non-staggered wheel setup and have a staggered tire setup on those wheels?

Additionally, will a non-staggered wheel setup affect the look/stance of the vehicle?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
At this point I'm planning to go non-staggered for the sake of tread life.

However, I am curious.

1) Is it possible to get a non-staggered wheel setup and have a staggered tire setup on those wheels?

2)Additionally, will a non-staggered wheel setup affect the look/stance of the vehicle?
1) Sure, it is possible to put different width tires on the same sized rims; just as long as you pay attention to the overall diameter, as well as all the considerations about possibly running tires outside of their intended rim width range. That being said, I can't really see any practical application for needing to do it.

2) Once again, a fairly subjective question overall. First off, as far as stance goes, a set of non-staggered wheels/tires should be the same diameter, so the stance shouldn't appear any different than stock (even the stock staggered setup has nearly identical diameters). If you want to change the stance, a suspension mod may be more effective for that than any tire/wheel choice. As far as looks go, it's totally subjective. You didn't mention if the non-staggered wheels would be stock or not, so there is also the consideration of rim diameter/width/offset/style/finish/etc. which all affect the look of the wheels regardless of tire sizes you wrap around them.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
1) Sure, it is possible to put different width tires on the same sized rims; just as long as you pay attention to the overall diameter, as well as all the considerations about possibly running tires outside of their intended rim width range. That being said, I can't really see any practical application for needing to do it.

2) Once again, a fairly subjective question overall. First off, as far as stance goes, a set of non-staggered wheels/tires should be the same diameter, so the stance shouldn't appear any different than stock (even the stock staggered setup has nearly identical diameters). If you want to change the stance, a suspension mod may be more effective for that than any tire/wheel choice. As far as looks go, it's totally subjective. You didn't mention if the non-staggered wheels would be stock or not, so there is also the consideration of rim diameter/width/offset/style/finish/etc. which all affect the look of the wheels regardless of tire sizes you wrap around them.
Got it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I was referring to. I was more specifically talking about the stance in terms of how low the car currently rides. So, if I purchase 19" wheels will this raise the car at all? As it currently has the 18" stock wheels on them.

I understand that the diameter, width, offset, style and finish will affect the look aesthetically.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Got it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I was referring to. I was more specifically talking about the stance in terms of how low the car currently rides. So, if I purchase 19" wheels will this raise the car at all? As it currently has the 18" stock wheels on them.

I understand that the diameter, width, offset, style and finish will affect the look aesthetically.
Unless you want to throw off your speedo (and more), you typically reduce the profile of the tire to compensate for the increased rim diameter. Notice the stock staggered 19" wheels on the coupes have 40 series tires in the rear and 45 series in the front, while the 18" sedan staggered setup is 45 series in the rear and 50 series in the front (and the 17" rims have yet further increase in profile). The bottom line is that as your rim size goes up, you run lower profile tires to compensate, and hence the inherent issues arise from doing so: ride quality and pothole tolerance suffers from the reduced sidewall height, unsprung and rotational weight increases, etc.. BUT this all happens within the same overall diameter as the stock setup, so there is no change in stance; you just see less black tire and more rim within the same size circle.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Unless you want to throw off your speedo (and more), you typically reduce the profile of the tire to compensate for the increased rim diameter. Notice the stock staggered 19" wheels on the coupes have 40 series tires in the rear and 45 series in the front, while the 18" sedan staggered setup is 45 series in the rear and 50 series in the front (and the 17" rims have yet further increase in profile). The bottom line is that as your rim size goes up, you run lower profile tires to compensate, and hence the inherent issues arise from doing so: ride quality and pothole tolerance suffers from the reduced sidewall height, unsprung and rotational weight increases, etc.. BUT this all happens within the same overall diameter as the stock setup, so there is no change in stance; you just see less black tire and more rim within the same size circle.
Understood. That makes sense.

Any recommendations for tires on non-staggered 19" wheels?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM
^^ That's hard to answer without knowing what you want and expect out of your tires Nate. Are you looking for an super sticky summer tire, a low rolling resistance fuel economy model, a runflat, an all-season, a plush touring, etc. etc. etc. Then add budget, availabilty, looks . . .

Without knowing what you really want/need, anyone can suggest something, but no one can really answer your question to YOUR best interest.

There are many threads here about tire recommendations. If you want specific to 19", you might try looking more over here too: http://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-s...and-tires-305/

One last thought comes to mind about your changing your wheels/tires: Are you aware that you will need to address your TPMS sensors/system issues when you make the changeover?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM
^^ That's hard to answer without knowing what you want and expect out of your tires Nate. Are you looking for an super sticky summer tire, a low rolling resistance fuel economy model, a runflat, an all-season, a plush touring, etc. etc. etc. Then add budget, availabilty, looks . . .

Without knowing what you really want/need, anyone can suggest something, but no one can really answer your question to YOUR best interest.

There are many threads here about tire recommendations. If you want specific to 19", you might try looking more over here too: http://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-s...and-tires-305/

One last thought comes to mind about your changing your wheels/tires: Are you aware that you will need to address your TPMS sensors/system issues when you make the changeover?
My Budget is around 1,500-2,000 for both wheels and tires.

I'm probably looking for a more all-season or summer performance tires.

I've already been reading up on a number of threads regarding wheels, tires, sizes, etc. And obviously the suggestions and recommendations vary. However, it sounds like a 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheel with 245/40/19 or 255/40/19 tires are a popular setup.

And since my G isn't lowered, I imagine I'll want a more lower profile tire. I also noticed that those who go non-staggered recommended putting spacers in the rears to push the wheels out a bit. For a more aggressive look. Will it look much different than how the current stock wheels look now without spacers?

As for the TPMS change up, what does that all consist of doing?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
First of all Nate I don't know of anyone here on DRIVER that rotates their tires even with OE wheels since they were never intended to do so! What ever rims you get will take some research so you don't make a mistake and waste your $$. Check our MARKETPLACE under private classified for a set of high end used 19" wheels/tires that normally sell for 1/2 of retail. Offsets should be in the high teens to mid 20s, you don't want anything higher. Attend a few meets and see what our members run on their coupes/sedans, don't be afraid to ask questions and learn. Tire pressure sensor are just like valve stems and can be moved from one set of wheels to the next! Good Luck!
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with wheel and tire sizing