Botched SPC Rear Camber Install Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Botched SPC Rear Camber Install Help

Hey all,

So I recently had my SPC rear camber kit installed by a friend that works at a local shop. He had little to no experience with this (neither do I) and I ran into 2 problems.

1. The SPC arm I got (PN 72260) had a slightly narrower end on it than the stock arm which led to a slight gap between the mounting bracket on the rear crossmember and the camber arm bushing on either side. I was under the impression this would be a "snug" fit. Because of this we actually ended up hammering that bolt in with an impact so that it bent that bracket inward to finally pinch/contact the bushings on either side. Seems odd, and led to the cambe bolt not wanting to tighten down all the way.

2. So, please don't flame me, but we actually installed the SPC toe bolt in the stock camber bolt position, meaning we actually dremeled out the wrong hole, and replaced the wrong bolt. Has anyone else made this dimwitted mistake??? Apparently, we were still able to get the toe in spec with the stock bolt since it was never actually replaced.... Anyone know if having the SPC toe bolt in the OEM camber bolt slot (widened out) will hurt anything? I mean, the bolt fits and all.

Something is definitely wrong, however. I was road tripping today, and noticed my car acting VERY squirrelly at the slightest imperfection in the road, and especially over any bump (as in bump-steer like behavior only WAY worse, very very scary and led to a white knuckled ride). I pulled over on the highway to check things out, and noticed that the toe on one of the tires was WAYY out of whack. However, by the time I got home and parked it (80 terrifying miles later), the toe was actually much closer to normal. This leads me to think something is loose back there. Would a loose(ish) camber bolt cause the toe to come way out of whack like that?

I just don't understand why it would be like that, heading back to the shop today so I can probably get some pictures... I'm thinking I might end up running some washers or something between the camber arm bushing and the mounting bracket in order to be able to tighten the bolt down appropriately.

I know this is totally cluster-trigged, so please excuse my ignorance. This is the first car I am attempting to DIY mods on and am learning the hard way apparently. Any and all responses welcomed.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Yes, camber affects toe, so if your camber arms are loose, then is possible your toe can get out of whack. This sounds like some serious installer error and the car should be parked and towed to a competent shop to get fixed

Not to sound harsh, but if you mixed up the toe bolt, then I have a bad feeling you may have replaced the lower control arm instead of the camber arm. Did you place the bolt into the same spot as the camber arm? If you have to modify something to get it to fit, then the proper thing would have been to stop and see what's wrong. It could be you have the wrong part (maybe they sent you 07 coupe arms by mistake), it's defective, or simply being installed wrong.

If you double check that everything is installed correctly, try loosening everything up, then jacking up the suspension to simulate being on the ground, THEN tighten everything back up.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I'm pretty positive we replaced the correct arm. Here is a post-install shot I forgot I took.

Is this correct? (Minus the whole camber/toe bolt switch-a-roo obviously)

Last edited by zgn7003; 06-09-2014 at 04:12 PM.