DIY: Quick 'n Easy Power Steering Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I did this with only 1 qt and my fluid didn't turn out as red as the fluid in the DIY pics. Since the entire system holds ~1 qt doing this method with 1 qt would i theory give you a 50/50 mix of new and old fluids. Each additional quart would reduce the number of old in half so two should give you 75% new and 25% old and I think I'm going to go get one more quart. Even with 1 qt the car feels smoother through turns.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by TomPeters
I did this with only 1 qt and my fluid didn't turn out as red as the fluid in the DIY pics. Since the entire system holds ~1 qt doing this method with 1 qt would i theory give you a 50/50 mix of new and old fluids. Each additional quart would reduce the number of old in half so two should give you 75% new and 25% old and I think I'm going to go get one more quart. Even with 1 qt the car feels smoother through turns.
Actually, that is an erroneous assumption. The math is a bit more complicated then that given the way the dilution is done in this case: roughly 1/3 quart new fluid at a time with remixing in between each successive fill. This creates a more substantial dilution factor. Consequently, a more accurate result of 3 dilutions yields a final mixture of approx. 70:30 (new : old).

If you did go through a second quart (3 more dilutions), you would net a 91:9 mixture.

And if you went through yet another (3rd) quart, you'd end up at 97.4 : 2.6 mixture.

It would take a full 4 quarts to jump up to a 99.2 : 0.8 mixture.

jeez, I can't believe I still remember those solution problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by vqsmile:
AnonG35 (01-24-2021), GXXXV X (04-02-2012)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
^ Good point.... I didn't factor the 3 dilutions per 1 qt. So doing 2 qts should be plenty given any additional qts will yield minimal results.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM
^^ exactly, the function has a nonlinear decay, so subsequent quarts have increasingly minimal impact. One quart is pretty good; two is great. Three or more is just being ****.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I flushed my power steering today and after noticing the fluid wasn't getting "clean" as fast as I had hoped I decided to figure out how many times it was going to take to replace most of the old fluid. The graph below is what I came up with... This assumes the old and new fluid mixes completely between each exchange. Hope it helps.

Also I used a brake bleeder bottle and a syringe to syphon the old fluid out of the reservoir. The syringe is only needed to start the process. It is a bit slow but leaves virtually no mess.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Quick 'n Easy Power Steering Fluid Change-img_0890.jpg   DIY: Quick 'n Easy Power Steering Fluid Change-img_0897.jpg  
Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by malton:
celtickaro (07-09-2012), ErikNYC (06-03-2017), ZunderG (05-26-2019)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:56 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
nice graph to show the dilution, looks like 2qts is a perfect mix to get (~90%) mostly new fluid, after that its to slow of a change to be of any use. Ill be going with 2 qts for sure this summer.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Nicely done everyone! I'll update the first post to share y'all's info. I love this site, so much collaboration!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Nice one Mike

Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Did this today with very minimal grief. I got a $6 plastic hand pump when I bought the fluid and it made the job a hellaluvalot easier than with no pump

I also noticed that my fluid was pretty clean after the 2nd drain/fill, maybe because the pump got the majority of the old junk out, I don't know. I ended up only using one of the 2 quarts I bought.

Thanks mike!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Great DIY as usual Mike!
Isn't there a way to suck all the old fluid out and fill with new fluid at 1 go? Maybe with an aftermarket pump that sucks it all out from the cap or the hose?
My PS fluid is pretty black lol

BTW, how often should this be done? I'm close to 70k km's (over 3 years now) and haven't touched my PS fluid yet.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
My car had 37000 miles, and the fluid looked good. You're at roughly 44000 miles, so it's time for a change indeed.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Just changed mine out today and wanted to thank mike again for his input, though its an easy DIY, having all the details like fluid, num of dilutions etc before hand makes the job that much easier.

I used the turkey baster with a pipe attached at the end, it took a little longer than pumps but no real regrets since it was easy with no mess.

My fluid was almost black with ~56k I have done three trades and its pretty red now, ill be driving around normal for a week and do a couple more next weekend just to finish off the Qt and get more new fluid in. Also the difference in steering ease/response was immediately felt, whether it was psychological or real is anybody's guess

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Defratos
Nice one Mike
Thanks

Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Did this today with very minimal grief. I got a $6 plastic hand pump when I bought the fluid and it made the job a hellaluvalot easier than with no pump

I also noticed that my fluid was pretty clean after the 2nd drain/fill, maybe because the pump got the majority of the old junk out, I don't know. I ended up only using one of the 2 quarts I bought.

Thanks mike!
Welcome! The pump certainly helped a lot, and it can be used for other things, too!

FWIW, the fluid change really helps. I went to an HPDE recently and unless something else changed, i did not notice the fluid boil or agitate after a run (i noticed this a couple of instances in the past, was told it was just the pump circulating fluid).

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Great DIY as usual Mike!
Isn't there a way to suck all the old fluid out and fill with new fluid at 1 go? Maybe with an aftermarket pump that sucks it all out from the cap or the hose?
My PS fluid is pretty black lol

BTW, how often should this be done? I'm close to 70k km's (over 3 years now) and haven't touched my PS fluid yet.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to suck it all out. You probably can if you drop in a very long narrow tube, but who knows what could happen then.

Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Also the difference in steering ease/response was immediately felt, whether it was psychological or real is anybody's guess
With you, i'd say it was real. I did notice it, too, so if it's psychological, we're both screwed.

I'm glad you were able to do the turkey baster method, i guess mine was of poor quality, it would just drip after that initial suction.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 AM
With you, i'd say it was real. I did notice it, too, so if it's psychological, we're both screwed.
^ hahaha i guess in that case i would not want to know for sure!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter

Isn't there a way to suck all the old fluid out and fill with new fluid at 1 go? ...
As was mentioned before, there is the method of removing the return hose and purging the old fluid into a can while you constantly refill the reservoir with new, thereby pushing out the old with the new; pretty much the same concept as bleeding your brakes. It is a hassle though and can be really messy. I think using this DIY is more than sufficient, certainly easier, and probably cleaner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Quick 'n Easy Power Steering Fluid Change