Idle RPM drop??

Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Idle RPM drop??

My idle rpm seems a bit rough. Car runs fine however at idle the RPM will drop to about 500rpm (from 650) and the car would shiver and it would go back up again.
sometimes when I start the car when it's been warmed up the idle will go up (as it's supposed to) and then drop to like 300rpm quickly (almost stalls) and go back up to where it should be. I'm confused??

Anyone has any idea why this is occuring? throttle body? injectors? pressure leaks?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have the most updated ecu program? I have the same experiences after the throttle sensitivity TSB was applied.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
I purchased mine in April 08 (exactly a year ago) and so I'm assuming it does. I'm not 100% sure it does though.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
really dirty or blocked intake not lettign the air in...???

Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
my car is doing it too!! only sometimes it will completely die on startup.

Im supposed to bring it in on May 9......i suspected it was bad gas, but it doesnt seem to matter.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This same exact thing happened to me on my 02 Camry.
Also on my buddy's 03 RSX.

For me, it was a dirty throttle body. After I cleaned it, the idle was perfect, and the car responded way better.

For the RSX, he had to clean out his Idle control valve, which was part of the throttle body unit. we cleaned it all out and it worked great.

I'm not sure on a newer G if this is the case, but the exact same symptoms were seen on our cars and the throttle body was the culprit.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 AM
i just got my car from the dealership, they did not find any faulty MAF, pr bad intake, or bad gas, what they said they needed to do is relearn or reprogram the idle, they said it sometimes happens if i reset the ecu myself, which i did previously to get rid of check engine light on...so this maybe the cause of your problem, my.02

Old 04-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been currently on this forum for a quite long time. However i haven't posted anything on it yet. This is my first post.

Q8y- Ive been facing the same problem for the past 3 - 4 months. Ive got my car a year ago exactly. I've been telling the dealership about the issue and what they do is that they check another G35 and they come back to me and they say that it's normal. It happens to all Gs.

Last check up I've taken the car to the dealership and again I told them about the problem. They came back to me saying it's from your Intake system. I have Stillen 3rd gen.intakes installed recently about 2 months ago. I highly doubt it that the intakes have anything to do with the problem.

One more thing does the RPM Drop to 500 when you come to a full stop?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 AM
yes, once I stop at a stoplight or something, after a couple seconds my idle will drop, car will shiver, and then go back up again. It only does it when the engine has been warmed up and does it more often when the A/C is on too.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I really think it has to do with the ECU programming since I only started experiencing this after I got the throttle TSB programming done.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fassster10
i just got my car from the dealership, they did not find any faulty MAF, pr bad intake, or bad gas, what they said they needed to do is relearn or reprogram the idle, they said it sometimes happens if i reset the ecu myself, which i did previously to get rid of check engine light on...so this maybe the cause of your problem, my.02
I've been having this issue long before I even knew how to reset the ECU. I did however reset the ECU, it worked great for a coupe days and then it just went back to do the same thing. I'm taking it to the dealer soon to see whats up.

I'm assuming there is no TSB for this issue?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
I've been having this issue long before I even knew how to reset the ECU. I did however reset the ECU, it worked great for a coupe days and then it just went back to do the same thing. I'm taking it to the dealer soon to see whats up.

I'm assuming there is no TSB for this issue?
Offtopic real quick - to reset my ECU, just disconnect the battery for a few hours right?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by popcornten
Offtopic real quick - to reset my ECU, just disconnect the battery for a few hours right?
I'm not sure why people like to reset their ECU's. As I understand it, the ECU just re-learns driving habits anyway. I suppose resetting just speeds up the process?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
In regards to idle speed ... 500 seems kinda low. I don't rememeber mine being that low even before I had the TTs put in. That said, I know that GTM did increase my idle speed a bit. My car idles at around 700 when it is warmed up in D / DS and up another 100 - 200 with the A/C compressor engaged.

The following users liked this post:
Veronatron (09-06-2019)
Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I'm not sure why people like to reset their ECU's. As I understand it, the ECU just re-learns driving habits anyway. I suppose resetting just speeds up the process?
Installed an exhaust. Isn't it smart to reset ECU after something like that? I know it's always recommended for intakes

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Idle RPM drop??