Automatic Transmission Problems - No Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Transmission Problems - No Manual Mode

The issue is intermittent, but the tranny will get stuck in D. Even with the gearshift pushed over to the DS/M position or attempting to shift with the gearshift or paddles, the tranny stays in D. I brought it in last week and they claimed that when the tranny fluid was changed at 30K, it was overfilled and was boiling. It seemed like it was fixed, but it's started to happen again, although not as much as before.

He said to bring it back in, he thinks there may be something more serious - possibly needing a new transmission.

3 questions:
Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

Should I remove the grounding wires before bringing it in to avoid any warranty issues?

If they do have to put in a new tranny (hopefully not), would they be able to replace it with a 7spd, or do they still manufacture the 5spd to put in there.

- Ajay

Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should have gotten a 6mt... the problem would have been solved

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But to answer one of your questions... No they wouldn't give you a 7 speed if they had to replace your transmission. You should also go ahead and remove your grounding kit, because you never know what the stealership will lie to you about.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
From what I can remember a few members on here have experienced this and if I remember correctly I think it was down to a blown fuse or something simple like that.

A similar thing happened to me, but only once last year. My car caught some air just before shifting up to 3rd gear and the transmission went back to D and didn't want to change to DS or manual. I arrived at work, switched the car of then back on and everything was back to normal.

I'm pretty sure other members have experienced something similar, do a search

P.S. I too have the grounding kit, haven't had any problems since installing them

Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
AJ, have them check the switch that controls the transition from D to DS and back. There have been several reports of this going out and being replaced under warranty.

The grounding kit should have nothing to do with it, if it has to void anything it will likely be the charging system since Infiniti specifically mentions not grounding anything through the negative battery cable because of that box they placed there --- forgot what it's called but it's there to monitor charging states, etc...

But to be safe, just take the grounding kit off.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Defratos
A similar thing happened to me, but only once last year. My car caught some air just before shifting up to 3rd gear and the transmission went back to D and didn't want to change to DS or manual. I arrived at work, switched the car of then back on and everything was back to normal.

P.S. I too have the grounding kit, haven't had any problems since installing them
You were rally racing your car before work...Car caught some air? haha

I have BB grounding kit and everythings been fine since.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
no actually, it's the way they have sections of the motorway linked together here, between each slab of tarmac there's like a 1 inch difference, so you either catch some air if you're going fast enough or you slam down onto the ground if you're going too slow lol

Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-eng...t-into-ds.html

its a position switch. your transmission is fine.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Take off the grounding kit anyway.... hopefully its just the switch, but i would be pissed if the tech told me they overfilled it and the transmission fluid was boiling! that alone could have caused premature wear. hopefully you get a free transmission out of it!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Replace the trans? LOL is that what they were taught at mech. school?

Anyhow, the problem is with the shifter unit which I believe is under the gear stick.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great thanks guys, i'll tell him to check the shifter switch. The tranny seems fine, I originally though it was some sort of electrical glitch or something but they couldn't find anything.

Should I still take off the grounding kit to have them look at the shifter switch? I didn't when I brought it in last week... Just kind of a pain

Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
curious. does everyone take off all their mods when going to get a car checked?

Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
just my intake ^ (since they consider the air filters to be not up to par with OEM filtration standards)
they have no issues with my exhaust though.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha yea. I just got my car smog checked and apparently a Pop charger is legal on 2004+ but not 2003?

I just was wondering about warranty issues. Although I'm sure thats something I should have looked up well before I actually got the mod bug, huh?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
part #34950M shift lock solenoid...

Better check this before, mine was dirty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Problems - No Manual Mode