lightweight flywheel upgrade, clutch, and CSC concentric slave cylinder

Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool lightweight flywheel upgrade, clutch, and CSC concentric slave cylinder

Hey people this is a post to anyone looking to do this to their v36, with a concentric slave cylinder or csc as it is known.
I have a 07 g35 sport sedan, vq35hr and 6 mt equipped.
I have had cars in the past with lightened flywheels and wanted to put one on this as well to help match the car to my driving. I found the stock flywheel slow to spin down while shifting.
I did a little research and went for a JWT clutch/flywheel combo and had it installed with a new oem csc/throwout bearing assembly. the stock clutch was fine barely used really, but i figured while its apart may as well...
what i didn't realize was the feeble limitations of the oem hydraulic concentric slave cylinder. ugh!!

the pedal feel was maybe 25 % heavier but it seemed to work fine, for about 2 weeks!!!! yes folks the oem csc had a seal failure, the dot 3 was leaking from the bell housing, clutch pedal not returning, unable to select gears.....arrrggg!!!

I hadn't foreseen this weakness so this is the point of my post, the solution is an easy one if you do it at the time that you install your upgraded performance clutch. what you will need is a CSC from zspeedperformance. it is a larger all metal construction csc that replaces the lame oem unit. as a bonus it reduces pedal pressure to close original!!!

I did the install myself over about 20 hours at home. (I could not deal with paying $800 to have it installed AGAIN!!!!)

****MORAL OF THIS POST****
if your paying the labor or doing it yourself for a clutch or flywheel install on the 07-08 cars with this csc get a zspeed unit and save yourself the headache and do it correctly the first time. In my opinion this is a mandatory upgrade!!! as when your oem fails, your stuck......

good luck to all (:

darryl

Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought this and doing this as well

Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Update, my zspeed csc is working perfectly still. the car is still a hoot! the jwt flywheel/clutch is also working smooth. without issues despite some occasional beatings burning off tires and such

Old 12-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Just curious, did you have the slave cylinder replaced under the recall or is this the replcement OE part that is now leaking.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Just curious, did you have the slave cylinder replaced under the recall or is this the replcement OE part that is now leaking.
originally my csc was oem and working fine. I changed it for a new oem when I did the clutch/flywheel as a preventative maintenance thing. Not recall related, I don't think there was one at the time. The oem replacement failed quickly and left me stumped until I found the zspeed csc. Works great, have not touched it since I put it in.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing on your experience with the JWT clutch/flywheel set-up. Could you comment on the driveability compared to the OEM with dual-mass flywheel?

A lot of chatter at idle? Smoothness during easy driving? Any vibrations/ roughness?

I've been considering this clutch set-up to replace my OEM one which is currently starting to slip, but I want to know what I'll be sacrificing in terms of refinement, particularly with giving up the dual-mass flywheel set-up. Thanks.. Appreciate the feedback!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Originally Posted by p10turbo
Thanks for sharing on your experience with the JWT clutch/flywheel set-up. Could you comment on the driveability compared to the OEM with dual-mass flywheel?

A lot of chatter at idle? Smoothness during easy driving? Any vibrations/ roughness?

I've been considering this clutch set-up to replace my OEM one which is currently starting to slip, but I want to know what I'll be sacrificing in terms of refinement, particularly with giving up the dual-mass flywheel set-up. Thanks.. Appreciate the feedback!

Here you go bud >>> https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...pressions.html

I've had the JWT combo since March along with new csc & msc. Love it, got used to chatter already.. Like you, I've done a lot of reading here as well and I am glad I did. I never buy the idea of resurfacing the oem FW, the lightweight FW that comes with the combo is more durable and has a replaceable face plate which only cost $65 compared to the new FW $400+. If you don't track the car the combo could last years depending on your driving habits.

Last edited by deeliciousqueen; 01-19-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:11 PM
louder/buzier chatter at idle. smooth driving, revs much quicker. spins down faster. I may have stalled a few times more than i would with oem weight, but only when i'm driving gently which is rare lol