Scheduled Service and Information to Know

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scheduled Service and Information to Know

The issue is an Engine flush or Engine cleaning every two years or 30,000 miles is not recommended for the vehicle. In 2009, Nissan issued a memo to mechanics advising them not to perform engine flush services. Why? Over time, gummy deposits can build up inside your engine - and some say it's bad. The chemicals used for engine flush, are supposed to break up those deposits. But there is also a mechanical risk from pieces of that broken up sediment that may flow into and clog up other parts of the engine and ruin it. Nissan along with other OEMs say damage resulting from engine flushes can't be covered by their warranty.

At issue, I did not have any damage to report here or discover any instance of reported damage in the forum here; but it was after I paid for my G35x engine,transmission, and coolant systems to be flushed by the local Infiniti dealer at the regular interval (6 year point). If you just follow OEM recommended oil changes and use of the proper lubricants to drain and fill systems, that is all that is required. Don't read this I just misread the manual because that isn't this issue.

Without sensationalizing what the dealer already charges at the major Service Interval (plenty of that here) there is a complete second discussion that I never saw in the forum that deals with the subject directly. It goes like this: I walk into a Infiniti dealership and they provide a "menu" of additional services they offer at the interval, or may recommend them as add-ons during the inspection. These services are not required and they are not recommended by Infiniti.

I'm really concerned that I even paid extra for the service at the dealer that wasn't recommended or worse could cause damage that later won't be covered.The chemical flush of fuel injection, ATF, Coolant or Engine procedure is not recommended by the OEM at Nissan. If it damages the car, it may not be covered. If it gets misrepresented as OEM required, it may not be legal, either.

We all have access to the same Service manuals, I just wish I had known about this before I had the service performed. I could have saved a ton of money.