Start up issue after mechanic visit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start up issue after mechanic visit

Hello Guys,

I recently purchased a g35x from a used dealer, the car was in rough shape but the miles were super low (66k) and the price was around the lower end of my budget. The car needed new front axel boots, a valve gasket replacement and belt tensioner. The shop said because of the oil leak it would be in my best interest to replace the alternator as well since it was becoming rusted from the oil leak. I agreed and allowed them to perform the work.

The next day, I went to the shop and picked up the car took it home and left in the parking lot till the next morning. I tried to start it up for work, but the push to start button kind of had a lag to it. Let me explain

When i push the button the car will crank for about 2-3 secs then turn over. Now this was never a problem before but i figured maybe it was just a cold night. I tried the car once more when i left to get lunch and this time the crank took about 3-4 secs before it turned over. Im in Cali so it was already super hot outside.

Ive gone back to the shop and they tested the battery/alternator and both read HEALTHY. They stated it may be a starter that needs to be replaced.

After research on this forum I believe this may be a spark plug related issue since they were in this area for the repairs. I am skeptical a STARTER can all of a sudden go out coincidentally right after they work on the car.

Any ideas on how to pin point the issue?

Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by EmpujeTheGreat
Hello Guys,

Any ideas on how to pin point the issue?
Start with the battery

Telcoman

Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Start with the battery

Telcoman

When i stood next to the tech in the shop who did the battery test for me, the voltage read correct. Im going to visit AZ after work for them to perform their own power test on the battery to get a second opinion

With that said , would the repairs listed above affect the battery? Previous to these repairs, the car started perfect, even with the oil soaked alternator and gasket leaked spark plugs.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by EmpujeTheGreat
When i stood next to the tech in the shop who did the battery test for me, the voltage read correct. Im going to visit AZ after work for them to perform their own power test on the battery to get a second opinion

With that said , would the repairs listed above affect the battery? Previous to these repairs, the car started perfect, even with the oil soaked alternator and gasket leaked spark plugs.
Just measuring voltage is not a sufficient battery test.

A starter motor requires sufficient current which a battery with a defective cell cannot supply while still measuring 12v

Use a battery hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of each battery cell

Name:  MyPictures102409006.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  84.5 KB

Telcoman

Old 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Just measuring voltage is not a sufficient battery test.

A starter motor requires sufficient current which a battery with a defective cell cannot supply while still measuring 12v

Use a battery hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of each battery cell

Telcoman
awesome!

does the sign of the cross and point up at sky so there is a chance its something stupid like the battery. I work till 7 pst , but Im going to have AZ test this asap. Thanks dude, ill post the results of the test here later tonight.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 PM
FML

The autozone technician that helped me was terrible. Im going to look up more to visit tomorrow. He had not heard of such a test (-_____-).

He ran a power assessment of the entire car and said that theres nothing wrong with the battery, then recommended me to get a "Tune up". after balling up my fist and thanking him for ... nothing, I closed the hood and got back in the car.

I pressed the ignition and it didnt turn over! it cranked, tried tried tried then stopped. the radio was on the lights and car were on like if i had just double tapped the push to start.

i took my foot off the brake... pressed the pedal again right and it started within one sec.

while on the car doesnt show any signs of music/light/or gauge weakness.

my roommate keeps telling me they probably put cheap spark plugs in my engine. and that they are misfiring so it cant turn over. Could this be possible?

any advice is appreciated.

Side note.
When i popped the hood. and the engine was off, i heard a hissing sound coming from the left side of the engine.. i recorded it and will post it.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:51 PM