Oil Sensor Light On When Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Sensor Light On When Idle

I just purchased a 2007 Infiniti G35x with 108,000 miles. An hour after leaving the dealership, I was driving home in bumper to bumper traffic and the oil light would come on whenever I was in D and idle. The red canister with the oil dripping out.

The dealership did an oil change for me, and the dip stick shows a full amount of oil. So it isn't that.

I am extremely worried I purchased a car that is extremely faulty. After further research, I read it can either be a faulty sensor, or low oil pressure. Has anyone else been through this? I'm extremely worried as I can't afford yet another big expense right now.

Thank you.

Last edited by Orbox; 02-22-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
If you literally just bought this car then you should take it back to the dealership for them to either fix or take the car back and return your money.

It could be low oil pressure only showing up when the revs are low - at idle - and the oil is warmed up. I think there are gaskets or galleries somewhere that very often leak and cause low oil pressure (Not entirely sure on these rev up engines).

I would place bets that the dealer was aware of this issue when selling the car. Or it's a possibility the car was traded in and the low oil pressure problem never surfaced as the car never would have been driven enough to get the oil to operating temp once traded in. Cold thick oil probably just about provided enough pressure to hide the issue.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Orbox sorry to hear, I'm moving this thread to the appropriate sub-forum for more feedback. Brad he's got an 07 sedan so no rev-up motor, just the HR.

I've got nothing for you though so hopefully some of the second gen guys will chime in........

Old 07-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bumping an old thread.
I haven't driven my car in a few months other then occasional start up to make sure battery is charged up. Just now started the car to check my oil catch can install. Within 2 min, oil light went on. I gave it a few revs to about 1,500 rpm and oil light went off.
Last time i drove the car it didnt happen and there are no oil leaks on the ground.
Any idea what it could be?

Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Did you check the oil dipstick? When was the last time it had an oil change? What viscosity oil does it have in it currently?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:35 PM
The last one I had an oil change was like 2 hrs ago. I haven't driven the car more then 200 miles in 2 yrs. Last time I drove the car was about 2 months ago. Ibdrive it around for like 30 min and did not see any light. I have royal purple 5w30 in it.
All I did today was install my oil catch can line from driver side valve cover to a T-connector on the pcv valve and turned the car on. That's when I got the low oil light within 3 min of it running.
I checked oil but being a g35 DE motor i couldn't get a clear reading ad the stick is all covered in oil as always even after 4 wipes downs.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:34 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah you need to wait till it's sat for a few hours before you can get an accurate reading.

Edit: ok, after re-reading your post you said you got the oil changed 2 hours ago??? Did you mean to say 2 YEARS ago, because if it's the same oil in the crankcase for the last 2 years that's almost definitely your issue. Oil needs to be changed yearly at a minimum regardless of how few miles you put on the vehicle. That stuff breaks down due to both heat and age.

​t

Old 07-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Yeah you need to wait till it's sat for a few hours before you can get an accurate reading.

Edit: ok, after re-reading your post you said you got the oil changed 2 hours ago??? Did you mean to say 2 YEARS ago, because if it's the same oil in the crankcase for the last 2 years that's almost definitely your issue. Oil needs to be changed yearly at a minimum regardless of how few miles you put on the vehicle. That stuff breaks down due to both heat and age.

​t
I meant both. I had the oil in there for 2 YEARS, but in those 2 yrs, drove the car about 200 miles total. After getting the oil light I was scared and did get the oil change immediately, but the light was still on. Again at idle its on, but at revs 1500+ its off. Car sounds normal
Mechanic who did oil change was surprised as well but said maybe cause i had low oil in there, it could be the oil sensor.
Aside being a sensor which i will try to order and swap, what other issues could cause the oil light to come on like that?

Old 08-07-2017, 04:55 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I believe that motor (VQ35HR) has a gasket that can fail inside the timing cover that causes oil pressure loss, I'm not 100% sure but you might look into that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.