West Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV

California Speed Law - 95 mph

Old 09-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Speed Law - 95 mph

Is 95 in a 70 zone a felony or basic traffic violation? How many points?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Re: California Speed Law - 95 mph

I do not believe it is a felony. However, get ready to pay a hefty fine. About 25 over the speed limit on the highway is around a $416 fine.

-wicked
-Black/Black G35 coupe

Old 09-30-2003, 02:37 AM

Chances are if you were doing 95 in a 70 and didn't get arrested on the spot you weren't commiting a felony. I do believe 30 over the "Maximum" is a felony though (in CA.). As far as "Speed Limit" laws go it's a little different.

P.S.
For those who care. I drive a Silver Sedan 6MT CA license plate "KRZ HAYN" = "Krazy Hawaiian". A "Shaka" is always welcome.

Old 09-30-2003, 05:45 PM

You don't really need to worry unless you get caught going over 100mph. You should get some kind of lawyer though to make sure you only get 1 point on your license.

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 09-30-2003, 07:07 PM

I was driving on a road today in my G and was not watching the speedo and the next thing I notice in my rear view mirror is a cop. I am thinking shiyat since I knew I was going over the speed limit, I am the only car on the road, and it is a new car. I look at the speedo in the second before I brake and am goign 80 in a 55. The cop followed me for a bit but luckily did not pull me over.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:21 AM

I think that's just a moving violation. But anything above 20 mph, they can tow the car away for wreckless driving...unless they changed the law again. They usually let you go if there is no one on the roads, like in the wee hours in the morning. But CHP's are usually good about leaning out the speed by a coupe mph. I guess it depends on your car, your attitude and how his day is going. Usually 1 point for speeding.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:48 PM

Well you guys might like this one. When I got my drivers license a while back one of the points I was marked down was because I did not go faster than the speed limit on a two lane road. When the guy had me go into the left lane I kept going the speed limit thinking he would ding me if I go over, but he marked me for not going over. He said when there are multiple lanes, you go about 5mph faster for each lane to the left over the speed limit. I have this in writing so whenever I get a ticket and am within this, I might challenge it in court with that paper.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:27 PM

all speeding is an infraction which is less than a misemeanor fyi.. even over 100mph. only thing is unless the officer is feeling real generous he can/will probably get you for the reckless driving as well. after that.. its up to them whether to give you the ticket or haul you back to the station for booking.. ouch!

basically the only way its gonna be a felony to be going say 95 is if you hit someone and hurt them.. then its gonna be big.. and if they die.. see ya later.. not gonna be an "oops you had an accident". gonna be something like vehicular manslaughter because you should have known driving that fast is dangerous..

keep it slow in LA is wise.. if you like spinning wheels/racing and stuff.. exhibition of speed is good for a impound of your car.. without return! ouch sucks to lose your G forever cause you spun your wheels.. I dunno how often it is enforced but it is possible.. I think its the same if you use your car for prostitution as well so use a bucket if you do that kinda thing :P

Old 10-31-2003, 12:26 AM

Something I learned after my 2nd ticket in the “G” 72 in a 45 short acceleration run from a right turn just took my foot off the gas had to make the next turn, lidar raider got me. The first one I paid in March (traffic school in the last four months) insurance up $600.00 a year. Second ticket I’m screwed car for sale can no longer get insurance. I go to court to fight the ticket did my home work on lidar radar the whole nine yards.
The judge offers me level two traffic school “WTF” never heard of it. Two six hour classes ticket is not wiped but shows up as dismissed on you record and no points. Six hours s&uked but worth it. The other kicker is you can take it as often as the judge will give it to you no 18 months between.

Old 10-31-2003, 03:22 AM

about 7 years ago, i was having fun with this honda accord. fool couldn't get to his head that he got beaten. So after the 3rd launch, got stop by a cop. The cop stop both of us and give both of us a ticket for speed contest. This is pretty bad as i was thinking.

So i was force to appear in court. I show up and give them my citation number, she came back and said, "i am sorry, we don't have a record of that ticket." I was like, WTF? I told her can you please stamp the date and time on my ticket showing that i was a good citizen and i show up for the ticket. She stamp and i walk away a happy camper. A month later, i show up again just to make sure. Same result. I told the clerk, "i don't want get in trouble but can u stamp again. Also what can i do to make sure i won't get myself in trouble for this citation?" I was told to call the police department that gave me the ticket. Call them up, no record...i was a really happy camper now...

So moral of the story is don't race anyone...It will eventually catch up to you sooner or later.

g35mt

Old 10-31-2003, 10:27 AM

Stop racing Steven, but you did luck out. Someone must have been looking out for you up above [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nismo Swaybars, Radiator, & Oil Cap
Sun Auto Hyperground w/ Voltage System
Gialla Front Grill, Volk LE37T, Blitz Filter, TS ECU

Old 10-31-2003, 12:28 PM
Registered

how funnie..

this pass weekend i just got a speeding ticket for doing 93 in 65...still waiting for how much my ticket will cost...

Does anyone think that I can go to traffic school to clear this?

Old 10-31-2003, 12:52 PM

Read my earlier post you can always go to traffic school.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:33 PM

Jerome,

Yeah i was really lucky. A friend of my gotten a speed contest. He got 40 hours of community work, 2k in fine and 2 points on driving record. Not sure if this is true.

dyenboy,

were you one of the bay area people that came down during last weekend meets? i hope traffic school work out for you.

g35mt

Old 11-01-2003, 04:06 AM

Yeah, it all depends on how the officer wants to write you up. A few years ago I got pulled over in my 300ZX for doing 105 on a 70 zoned freeway. Luckily there was knowone else on the road and the officer just gave me the ticket, though I paid a big fine with no traffic school since I was going over 100 mph. And just last month I was ticketed for doing 75 in a 45, cop didn't catch me while I was at 95 hehe (the other guy got away). Any way, I went to traffic school and paid for a stupid action. Hopefully I've learned my lesson, I can be a bit thick skulled when it comes to driving fast in my coupe though.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: California Speed Law - 95 mph