Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools

Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools

Just came across this Potential gem in the G35 Canada area courtesy of zx10r_646:

Like most of you I have summer and winter wheels , each with tire pressure sensors. I have been searching for a DIY so I do not have to take my vehicle to the dealer every time I swap my wheels to register the tpms wheel sensors.

I have finally found a way to reset the tpms and register the pressure sensor IDs without any special tools (with the help of OBD3 Solutions and their BLOG - http://blog.obd3solutions.com/en/?p=20).

OBD3 found a way to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with a piece of wire and then register the tpms wheel sensor IDs using a wheel sensor activation tool. So if you have a tool to activate the wheel pressure sensors, you are all set to re-calibrate your wheels sensors yourself.

But if you are like me and do not want to spend $300-$500 to purchase a wheel sensor activation tool such as the KTI pst (www.ktipst.com), the service manual describes a method of registering the wheel sensor IDs without the use of an activation tool. All you have to do is alter the pressure in each tire, put the tpms into learning mode and drive the vehicle until all of the wheel pressure sensors are registered.

So last night I experimented to see if I could use 1) the ODB3 method to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with 2) the method described in the service manual to activate the wheel sensors without an activation tool.

It worked... after a little experimenting. The steps I used to register my winter wheel sensors were:

1) set different tire pressures in each wheel: RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi;
2) start engine;
3) perform the OBD3 procedure to reset and put the tpms into learning mode - tpms warning light should be blinking;
4) drive vehicle around at speeds greater than 40kph until the tpms warning light stops blinking and turns off. Note a short time later, the tpms warning light should go on and stay on (since one or more of your wheels will be lower that 28psi);
5) disconnect the wire from the connector; and
6) reinflate the tire pressure to spec. and drive around until the tpms warning light turns off.

Larry
With all the millions of TPMS threads that we've had over the years, I'm in shock that these guys at odb3solutions.com have figured it out. Many thanks to Larry for bringing this to the forum and I'm sure you can agree that the US folks should be seeing this as well.

My personal take? I'll continue looking at the warning light over the winter. Too many hoops to jump through 2 times a year, not to mention some minimal risk of electrical damage. Am I still impressed though - absolutely.

Original thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...er-wheels.html

Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SiouxFalls,

Thanks... regarding the minimal risk of electrical damage, the pin that is grounded is the "Tire Pressure Warning Check Switch".

According to the service manual..."When the low tire pressure warning system detects low inflation pressure or another unusual symptom, the warning lamps in the combination meter comes on. To start the self-diagnostic results mode, ground terminal of the tire pressure warning check switch. The malfunction location is indicated by the warning lamp flashing and the buzzer sounds."

Normally this pin is held at 5V. I suspect the pin is an input to a microcontroller and is held at 5V through a pull-up and the sequence of 5-6 5V/grounding pulses puts the tpms into learning mode.

For those that are concerned about damaging this pin, OTC sells a tpms reset tool for nissan.

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...p-OTC0203.html

Larry

Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Good info. I need to do this myself. Has anyone else done this yet with sucess?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Has anyone used the "tool"?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:53 PM
For $22 i bought one...but i'd like to see a few more people try it before I do.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yeah, price is right at least. May pick one up myself. However, mine haven't given me any trouble since I had them put on my new wheels.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Well, got the tool. WHo knows when i'll give it a shot

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i just put winter wheels (oem coupe 17s) on and the tpms light is still off, I guess i need to do this to get it to work right?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
i put different tires (stretched) and different wheels i just transfered the tpms from my stockies and it relearned by itself, when i had a nail in the tire and the tire was almost flat it noticed it right away

Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
yeah but im using tpms from a different car

Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Does this work?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
00gts6speed - after your first long trip (20 miles?) your TPMS warning light will come on and stay on until you put your wheels back on that have the programmed set for your car.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
00gts6speed - after your first long trip (20 miles?) your TPMS warning light will come on and stay on until you put your wheels back on that have the programmed set for your car.
actually it took 100ish miles..lol

Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
Just came across this ....

I have finally found a way to reset the tpms and register the pressure sensor IDs without any special tools (with the help of OBD3 Solutions and their BLOG - http://blog.obd3solutions.com/en/?p=20).

OBD3 found a way to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with a piece of wire and then register the tpms wheel sensor IDs using a wheel sensor activation tool.

So last night I experimented to see if I could use 1) the ODB3 method to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with 2) the method described in the service manual to activate the wheel sensors without an activation tool.

It worked... after a little experimenting. The steps I used to register my winter wheel sensors were:

1) set different tire pressures in each wheel: RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi;
2) start engine;
3) perform the OBD3 procedure to reset and put the tpms into learning mode - tpms warning light should be blinking;
4) drive vehicle around at speeds greater than 40kph until the tpms warning light stops blinking and turns off. Note a short time later, the tpms warning light should go on and stay on (since one or more of your wheels will be lower that 28psi);
5) disconnect the wire from the connector; and
6) reinflate the tire pressure to spec. and drive around until the tpms warning light turns off.

Larry
I wish the link to the OBD3 procedure still worked....

or that someone could post the actual procedure here....

My TPMS idiot light comes and goes on and off all the time, and is really annoying. Maybe this thread could save me a lot of head ache. That would be very cool.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found another link to the reset procedure.

http://www.autoatlantic.com/june08/j...s_sensors.html

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: tpms re-learning pressure sensor ID with no special tools